Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Corporations may spout idealistic slogans from time to time, but we all know their main concern is their profitability. NASCAR must have realized most of their paying customers want that change.

If the current movement can stay firm and committed for long enough to show corporate America that backing reactionaries will damage their bottom line, the corporations will pressure their political lapdogs to at least act like they're the people's representatives.

I hope the Biden campaign relentlessly urges people to get out and vote. Scares them with the risk of Trump returning to office. It won't be enough for Biden just to win. I'm not accustomed to using extreme language, but Trump needs to be crushed under a landslide defeat. There must be no doubt that Trumpism is rejected in its birthplace, so that it's discredited around the world, and its toxic spread reversed.

(I apologize if that's too harsh, and will edit my words if a moderator asks.)

41 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I hope the Biden campaign relentlessly urges people to get out and vote. Scares them with the risk of Trump returning to office. It won't be enough for Biden just to win. I'm not accustomed to using extreme language, but Trump needs to be crushed under a landslide defeat. There must be no doubt that Trumpism is rejected in its birthplace, so that it's discredited around the world, and its toxic spread reversed.

Damn STRAIGHT! S.O.B must go down into the ashes of the trash heap of history!

I *Cough* *puts on mod hat, nods sagely* I'll allow it.

1 hour ago, Sociotard said:

No matter how big the landslide, Trump will claim he was cheated. "Dishonest media misled voters" and so forth.

The only question is, will his next job be hosting an hour on OAN, or will he start his own network?

I agree, he'll protest and try to stir up trouble. As long as his defeat is so thorough that his protest has no credibility even by Trump's standards, I don't give a damn what he does.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well,unfortunately the Biden presidency scares me almost as much, only for different reasons. 

It has occurred to me that the 2020 election is like circa 1580 Russia, who is better Ivan the terrible or Fyador the bellringer 

I guess I await the False Dmitri. (Of course the birther say we already got that one.) Really don't know who to root for (other than the asteroid)

I guess I should stay away from the polling. Biden ahead will depress me. Trump ahead will depress me.

24 minutes ago, Badger said:

It has occurred to me that the 2020 election is like circa 1580 Russia, who is better Ivan the terrible or Fyador the bellringer 

I've been looking at this like Boris Yeltsin.  It's whoever adopts the same tactics and tools that Trump has been using (and the same 'activated'/religious base), combined with modern surveillance state, that scares me more.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I agree, he'll protest and try to stir up trouble. As long as his defeat is so thorough that his protest has no credibility even by Trump's standards, I don't give a damn what he does.

I find it adorable that you think Trump has standards. :D

If the past three and a half years have taught us anything, I believe it is that there is no low to which this President will not sink in the promulgation of his agenda.

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well,unfortunately the Biden presidency scares me almost as much, only for different reasons. 

I guess I await the False Dmitri. (Of course the birther say we already got that one.) Really don't know who to root for (other than the asteroid)

I guess I should stay away from the polling. Biden ahead will depress me. Trump ahead will depress me.

I would consider the choice between Biden and Trump, closer to choosing between Gorbachev and Rasputin.

40 minutes ago, Pariah said:

I find it adorable that you think Trump has standards. :D

If the past three and a half years have taught us anything, I believe it is that there is no low to which this President will not sink in the promulgation of his agenda.

No he does have a standard -- what he thinks he can sell.

I find it adorable that you think Trump has an agenda, beyond "stay in power" and "be worshiped." Everything else is what catches his attention at the time.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I find it adorable that you think Trump has an agenda, beyond "stay in power" and "be worshiped." Everything else is what catches his attention at the time.

It's definitely the people around him that have an agenda... and they'll be around regardless.

I think any victory 'over' Trump is going to be narrower than I'd like.  There will be plenty of excuses he/others can use to throw mud, and that's part of the political game.  Throw all the mud you can.  Nowadays, even if it means burning down the entire country to do so.

4 hours ago, Badger said:

I almost wrote in Giant Meteor last time but went with Gary Johnson (aka set my vote on fire).

Will this time be any different?

Here's my favorite, recent, Biden quote.

image.png.d6e6efd15ccabbee2e247752f086e07e.png

Seriously, as fast as he's fading if you vote for Biden you're voting for his running mate.

How can this be the best we can get from a country of 328 million people?  I'd seriously vote for Joe Rogan or Daryl Davis over either of these guys.  :(

8 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

No he does have a standard -- what he thinks he can sell.

You're right on both counts, of course.

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I almost wrote in Giant Meteor last time but went with Gary Johnson (aka set my vote on fire).

Will this time be any different?

Here's my favorite, recent, Biden quote.

image.png.d6e6efd15ccabbee2e247752f086e07e.png

Seriously, as fast as he's fading if you vote for Biden you're voting for his running mate.

How can this be the best we can get from a country of 328 million people?  I'd seriously vote for Joe Rogan or Daryl Davis over either of these guys.  :(

I've always thought that perhaps the way we choose our leaders should be a national draft.....anybody who wants to be in power is too suspect in my eyes....

8 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

The best we are given, of course.

Unfortunately I don't think either of our plan b options have the connections or support to do anything once they got elected. 

But unfortunately simply following DJT's twitter feed has been enough for me to give him no slack nor consideration.  Forget the news about him, having picked up his thoughts and opinions even tangentally like that has been enough to drive me to Biden - I basically have no choice in the matter. 

The fact that almost every agency/department he's put his fingers into has had literally hundreds-to-thousands of (sometimes ex-)employees talking about what's going on has not endeared me to him either.  EPA, NASA, DOJ, now maybe even part of the Military and the CDC.

At least 25 people sought to be the Democratic nominee. (I losty count.) At least 20 of them got to make their pitch, however briefly, on televised debate stages. I thought several of them sounded better than Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders or any of the other "big names." Obviously, not many people agreed with me.

So no, Biden is not "who we were given" as the anointed candidate of the Democratic Establishment. (At least not until the primariesbegan, and the party leaders realized that splitting the moderate vote 4 ways would hand the nomination to Sanders -- just like splitting the Not Utter Flaming Lunatic vote 10+ ways handed the Republican nomination to Trump.) Frankly, I wish the big donors and party bigwigs *had* decided early on a slate of 5-6 candidates who'd be backed, for voters to decide among. Preferably governors who had actual experience, you know, governing.

But name recognition counts for a lot. And whatever his faults, (and they are many), Joe Biden was a name people knew.

Or the tl;dr: Voters.

Dean Shomshak

14 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

So no, Biden is not "who we were given" as the anointed candidate of the Democratic Establishment. (At least not until the primariesbegan, and the party leaders realized that splitting the moderate vote 4 ways would hand the nomination to Sanders -- just like splitting the Not Utter Flaming Lunatic vote 10+ ways handed the Republican nomination to Trump.) Frankly, I wish the big donors and party bigwigs *had* decided early on a slate of 5-6 candidates who'd be backed, for voters to decide among. Preferably governors who had actual experience, you know, governing.

True, that memetic BS affects me too.  The whole Dem nomination events were a mess.

16 hours ago, Hermit said:

Damn STRAIGHT! S.O.B must go down into the ashes of the trash heap of history!

Last time I checked, The Economist -- not exactly a flaming Leftie publication -- agreed with you. Since his nomination, they've warned that Trump, and Trumpism, pose systemic risk to political stability, economic prosperity, and common decency.

Dean Shomshak