Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

That is fair. But if you look at history, the Confederate flag languished in obscurity for almost a century after the war. It started to once again be prominently displayed and used as a symbol during the modern era as part of protests against desegregation of schools in the southern US in the early 1960s. And what it was a symbol of had nothing to do with culture or war memorials.

Yeah, the flag is probably a lost cause(pun optional).

https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/new-details-about-the-82nd-military-deployment-to-dc?fbclid=IwAR1Chw2-uCVw1q0WIUXlvB2j5ysy04bJDBuSkkWumKRnx4ZfAsLS3s39Tzo

A detachment of the 82nd airborne was dispatched to the Washington DC area in preparation of taking to the streets to combat an "insurrection". The original name of the detachment was Task Force White Devil. JFC.

The one thing in Trump's  favor. His control will at least leave centralized  mess due to his intolerance of in house disent.

While the bad on Biden  side is the puppet figurehead likelihood,  will leave Cabinet members and dept heads to run things unanswered. Leaving a scattered oligarchal mess. 

Just keeping realistic. The 2020 looks to come down what mess can we clean up easier in 2024.

To be frank, your repeated assertion of Biden's mental incompetence as a certainty rather than a possibility, based on the few things you've mentioned as having seen and heard, is starting to sound rather dogmatic.

There will be no centralized anything left in Donald Trump's wake. He deliberately provokes chaos. He acts on whim, often changing his mind and contradicting his own officials. His White House is divided into frequently-feuding factions, with no clear chain of command beyond the President himself. He's gutted nearly all departments of the civil service of qualified functionaries. The Republican Party has become Trump's rubber-stamp yes-men whose whole focus is supporting whatever foolishness he says or does, with no independent agenda or policies to steer them after he's gone. Any creative, independent Republican thinkers realize they aren't welcome any more, and have resigned or aren't running again.

Everything that Liaden said, plus the fact that Trump hasn't appointed anyone to run the departments he has beheaded because he can't get his choices through the senate because they are a bunch of grifters with crap backgrounds. Half of them have quit the process when told they aren't supposed to use their position to get rich.

If only someone had told Richard Burr he wasn't supposed to do that

CES

15 hours ago, Dr.Device said:

So the Trump maladministration has formalized rules making it legal for medical personnel to let me die in the street (or on the operating table) because they think I'm icky. 

Bwa ha ha!

The rules are completely eviscerated by today's Supreme Court decision!
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/15/supreme-court-denies-job-protection-lgbt-workers/4456749002/

Edited to add:

I mean, it will take some court cases, but the precedent this sets is crystal clear.

2 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

And Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion! I wasn't expecting that at all, though I did figure Roberts would vote the way he did based on his past record on common sense civil rights cases.

Countdown to the Twitter meltdown in 3... 2... 1...

Already happening: https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/06/carrie-severino-meltdown-neil-gorsuch-lgbtq-rights.html

8 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

"The Courts were never going to save us. Our project as conservatives is to curb their worst excesses, get them out of our way, and when that fails, seek the ultimate vindication of our convictions by defying them in the name of constitutional order."

- Saurabh Sharma

Is this how social conservatives propose to maintain constitutional order? By openly calling for defiance of the Constitutionally-mandated function of the SCOTUS whenever they don't like how it rules? :think:

I hear a bunch of brats throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their favorite dessert. :tsk:

18 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

"The Courts were never going to save us. Our project as conservatives is to curb their worst excesses, get them out of our way, and when that fails, seek the ultimate vindication of our convictions by defying them in the name of constitutional order."

- Saurabh Sharma

Is this how social conservatives propose to maintain constitutional order? By openly calling for defiance of the Constitutionally-mandated function of the SCOTUS whenever they don't like how it rules? :think:

I hear a bunch of brats throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their favorite desert. :tsk:

I took it to be a bunch of brats throwing a tantrum because their judicial appointments didn't stay bought.