Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I'm not positing either side of teacher effectiveness.  My point is, the Republicans want THAT to be the topic of debate...not gun control.  The gun control advocates can't win when the agenda item isn't even on the table, and deflection is a means to do that.

I'm not seeing it, but thanks for clarification.

Marjorie Taylor Greene was on 60 Minutes tonight, and I'm sorry to say she owned interviewer Leslie Stahl. Or at least, I thought Stahl was notably inept.

For instance: When Greene repeated the stock line that "Washington doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem," Stahl called it out as glib -- but failed to ask the blazingly obvious question, "So what spending should be cut? Be specific."

Green claimed maybe she hadn't really said outrageous things she's well known to have said. Stahl said the show had fact-checked that yes, she had. But she didn't pull out documentation or film clips of Greene, confronting her with proof. She let Greene huff about well, fact checking, are you going to fact check everything she ever said back to kindergarten? As my sister noted, it's a classic propaganda/disinformation technique to respond to challenges by puffing the challenge to absurdity.

It's not that Greene is a brilliant rhetorician. But Stahl didn't seem to have the chops to handle her.

Dean Shomshak

19 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, Russia's army keeps moving farther and farther back in history. I wonder if we'll see Cossack cavalry at the front before this is over.

I’ve already seen drone footage of one orc armed with a stick. He didn’t make it. 

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, Russia's army keeps moving farther and farther back in history. I wonder if we'll see Cossack cavalry at the front before this is over.

If so, they might be Ukrainian...

Cossacks - Wikipedia

Interesting note from the introductory text:

The Cossacks[a] are a predominantly East Slavic Orthodox Christian people originating in the Pontic–Caspian steppe of Ukraine and southern Russia.[1][2][3] Historically, they were a semi-nomadic and semi-militarized people, who, while under the nominal suzerainty of various Eastern European states at the time, were allowed a great degree of self-governance in exchange for military service. Although numerous linguistic and religious groups came together to form the Cossacks, most of them coalesced and became East Slavic-speaking Orthodox Christians. The Cossacks were particularly noted for holding democratic traditions. [emphasis mine]

Dean Shomshak

On 4/3/2023 at 12:52 AM, DShomshak said:

Marjorie Taylor Greene was on 60 Minutes tonight, and I'm sorry to say she owned interviewer Leslie Stahl. Or at least, I thought Stahl was notably inept.

For instance: When Greene repeated the stock line that "Washington doesn't have a revenue problem, it has a spending problem," Stahl called it out as glib -- but failed to ask the blazingly obvious question, "So what spending should be cut? Be specific."

Green claimed maybe she hadn't really said outrageous things she's well known to have said. Stahl said the show had fact-checked that yes, she had. But she didn't pull out documentation or film clips of Greene, confronting her with proof. She let Greene huff about well, fact checking, are you going to fact check everything she ever said back to kindergarten? As my sister noted, it's a classic propaganda/disinformation technique to respond to challenges by puffing the challenge to absurdity.

It's not that Greene is a brilliant rhetorician. But Stahl didn't seem to have the chops to handle her.

Dean Shomshak

Yeah...Stahl could have (and should have) torn her a new one. You need to challenge them on their BS at all times.

1 hour ago, Cygnia said:

It gets worse.  Not just committee assignments.

https://wpln.org/post/republicans-bar-three-democrats-from-committees-following-their-gun-control-protest-on-tennessee-house-floor/

If the Republicans oust them, I have to think this'll go to the state Supreme Court, because this feels utterly unjustified.  It shows, tho, that at least here, at least some of the Republicans don't care about democracy.  

My hope is that the extreme moves in multiple states start triggering a backlash.  MAYBE, just maybe, this vote in Wisconsin is a sign of that.  I can't put too much weight *yet* on the Trump candidates losing, as so many of them were terrible candidates.  This is a rather more focused test case...but only one case.