Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

5 hours ago, DShomshak said:

following the model set by anti-abortion activists

I still can't embrace that kind of thinking. Garbage laws impact the wrong people negatively, and ultimately solve nothing. We'll have to agree to disagree on this point, though I do understand that kind of frustration that drives this kind of approach.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend: Outgoing Disney district board signs away all rights to Disney one day before being replaced by cronies of Ron DeSantis

Gov. Ron DeSantis’ handpicked board overseeing Disney World’s government services is gearing up for a potential legal battle over a 30-year development agreement they say effectively renders them powerless to manage the entertainment giant’s future growth in Central Florida.

Ahead of an expected state takeover, the Walt Disney Co. quietly pushed through the pact and restrictive covenants that would tie the hands of future board members for decades, according to a legal presentation by the district’s lawyers on Wednesday.

That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,”

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

I remember drills to hide under our desks in case of nuclear attack in grade school. Maybe one of these days, we'll have a generation that doesn't have to drill to futilely hide under desks.

I did those, too.  We have had a generation didn't have to, though.  Millenials at least didn't come up under the cloud of potential nuclear annihilation and were out before school mass shootings became a regular thing.  Is that a win? 

I'm Gen-X and grew up in California, so we had fire, earthquake, and nuclear bomb drills. For fire you'd line up and go outside, and for the other two you'd get under your little feeble school desk, cover your head with your hands, and hope for the best.

Edited by GM Joe

A welcome bit of good news: What Bangladesh is doing to adapt to climate change. (Though it remains aggravating that *acknowledging reality* should be political.)

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2023/03/26/1165779335/facing-floods-what-the-world-can-learn-from-bangladeshs-climate-solutions

Dean Shomshak

On 3/29/2023 at 9:32 PM, Old Man said:

Even more ironically, by Florida law the negotiations and conditions of the agreement between Disney and the old district board had to be made public before the deal was signed, to allow for objections. If DeSantis or any of his flunkies had been paying attention, they might have stepped in to try to prevent it, but they certainly wouldn't have been blindsided.

Side note, I was listening to a YouTube commentator who claimed to have interacted with Disney's lawyers, in a social capacity. He described them as the likely inspiration for the villains in Disney's animated movies: cold, calculating, and thinking long term. And that was when they were on vacation.

That's the culture wars in a nutshell. There are indeed those whose views are so fragile that the mere existence of other people with different behaviors and beliefs feels threatening to them. A great deal of their self-image, their definition of their identity and sense of worth, is tied to their beliefs being the "one true way." Knowing that there are others who believe differently threatens their certainty of their rightness. That's why they try to force such people to be invisible, so they won't be reminded they exist.