Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Am I the only one who has an immense feeling of schadenfreude?

I am a very evil person.

Nope, not the only one. They're going to get what they voted for. Let 'em deal with it. But I have much sympathy for all the non-Trump folks who will be getting screwed at the same time.

Am I the only one who has an immense feeling of schadenfreude?

I am a very evil person.

I would be one as well, but in the end it's going to drive up health care costs for all of us. As it is the employer-provided insurance options at my work are so outrageously expensive that I was going to have to go over to Obamacare next year anyway.

..... that I was going to have to go over to Obamacare next year anyway.

You won't have to worry about that pesky Obamacare stuff, now, though.  Just how you'll be spending all that money that was going to preventative health care.  That's what hospitals are for, right?  Catastrophic medical care for free?

On to non sarcastic matters - Along with Sociotard's post up thread:  http://www.gallup.com/poll/199352/trump-transition-approval-lower-predecessors.aspx

I would be one as well, but in the end it's going to drive up health care costs for all of us. As it is the employer-provided insurance options at my work are so outrageously expensive that I was going to have to go over to Obamacare next year anyway.

Please excuse my ignorance (not being an American and all that) but WHY are your employer-provided options for health insurance so expensive ? Wouldn't the firm you work for want to keep its employees healthy, at an affordable price ?

Please excuse my ignorance (not being an American and all that) but WHY are your employer-provided options for health insurance so expensive ? Wouldn't the firm you work for want to keep its employees healthy, at an affordable price ?

Small company == no leverage with the insurance providers.  Providers that know my employer must provide health plans to its employees.

Really the entire for-profit healthcare industry needs to be beaten to death with a barbed-wire-wrapped baseball bat.  But I digress.

Thank you for the explanation. Ever since watching Michael Moore's "Sicko" I have thought that the U S for profit health care industry was spectacularly unpleasant. Even assuming that Moore was indulging in hyperbole it sounded appalling. Trump says that he will replace Obamacare with "something better", the question is, will the healthcare lobbyists LET him ? (assuming that he was being serious when he said that of course).

The HR department at the company that I work for organizes various health, exercise, and nutrition related activities throughout the year.  The more you participate in, the higher your insurance tier, and the less gets deducted from your paycheck for insurance the next year.

Healthier employees = less insurance use = lower insurance cost

Which reminds me I've got some Paulaner I haven't been drinking due to the amount of time I spend working...

(And reading political rantings)

(I'm also tired enough not to notice how far up thread the comments I was responding to were and didn't think to snag the appropriate quotes - bed is calling so I can go back to work)

Obama holding a press conference tomorrow.

David Yankovich @DavidYankovich

CNN is reporting that Trump's refusal to acknowledge Russia interference has made White House decide orderly transition isn't main priority

7:38 PM - 15 Dec 2016

Trump also held a press conference today, only he didn't, because he chickened out. Buck-buck-braaawck, ladies and gentlemen, the president-elect of the United States.

Well, if nothing else at least you can always count on the Russians to respond predictably to all this.  Same response as any other claim by a foreign power: "Prove it, or shut up about it.

I wonder if any other president (let alone president-elect) has ever been so openly skeptical or even nearly hostile towards a core part of his countries national security infrastructure?

It must be nice to know better than a few billion dollars worth of operatives, informants, and data analysts.  

Well, if nothing else at least you can always count on the Russians to respond predictably to all this.  Same response as any other claim by a foreign power: "Prove it, or shut up about it.

I wonder if any other president (let alone president-elect) has ever been so openly skeptical or even nearly hostile towards a core part of his countries national security infrastructure?

It must be nice to know better than a few billion dollars worth of operatives, informants, and data analysts.  

Of course he knows better: his good friend Vladimir assures him it's not true. And it not being so is better for him, which means that, given the world is arranged entirely to suit him and his fancies, it definitely isn't true.