Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 3/17/2024 at 9:37 AM, DShomshak said:

To be fair, I wouldn't automatically discount a retired pro athlete for federal office. IIRC Sen. Bill Bradley also had a distinguished career with the NY Knicks. A friend told me that a local fellow called Marshawn Lynch has mad skills at money management, which the federal government could probably use, and I gather he also played football pretty wall.

Also from our neighborhood is a famous football guy who served a number of terms in the House, Steve Largent.

21 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

If sports is the only thing they've shown any competence at, their candidacy should at least be seriously questioned. More so if they talk like they have the IQ of a mushroom.

Hey, no dissing on the shrooms, man!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......(goes to pantry, pulls out the dried shrooms)  Realized I've got an extra heirloom tomato as I was getting the salad for tonight.  OK...toss it into some eggs for a frittata...with mushrooms, yeah.....

No dissing the shrooms.  IQ of a package of Peeps.  MUCH, MUCH lower.

58 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......(goes to pantry, pulls out the dried shrooms)  Realized I've got an extra heirloom tomato as I was getting the salad for tonight.  OK...toss it into some eggs for a frittata...with mushrooms, yeah.....

So long as the mushrooms don't start singing, "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

You realize your example of mushroom intelligence is allowing themselves to be dried and eaten, right?

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

You realize your example of mushroom intelligence is allowing themselves to be dried and eaten, right?

Sure.  Those that did it, sacrificed themselves for the good of the rest of the colony.  Honor them.

I'm truly saddened to hear that. :(

For my part, if there's a choice between laughing or crying, laughing generally leaves me feeling more positive.

American right-wing politics is a clown show right now, but not all clowns have to be Emmet Kelly. :)

Edited by Lord Liaden

28 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I'm truly saddened to hear that. :(

For my part, if there's a choice between laughing or crying, laughing generally leaves me feeling more positive.

American right-wing politics is a clown show right now, but not all clowns have to be Emmet Kelly. :)

Not all clowns have to be the Joker, either. 😉

Trae Crowder mentions the right-wing nuttosphere is already spinning conspiracy theories about the Key Bridge disaster. Baltimore's mayor also mentioned this on All Things Considered. I expected this, but... I really don't want to know what the theories are. It would raise my blood pressure to no good purpose.

As far as laughing at American politics, I'll add Stephen Colbert's recent take on the Trump Bible and R

onna McDaniels' extremely brief employment by NBC. Nice to see that the established anchors were outraged, and the Powers That Be at NBC listened. Some people still have a sense of shame, or at least a sense of corporate self-preservation.

Dean Shomshak

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

Don't tell me, tell our criminal justice system.

It isn't the justice system, per se.  The system is designed to minimize the chance that an innocent man gets convicted.  Trump and his legal team simply exploit that.  The insurrection charges...the problem's the vagueness.  And WHO can disqualify?  OK, yeah, I'd love seeing Trump off the Colorado ballot, but the point about potential chaos, allowing individual states to bar a candidate, is valid.  Some of the others...the Georgia charges...the challenges to the DA remaining on the case...uh...how does this damage Trump's defense?  OK, there's ethics issues, but that's separate...and not really germane to Trump's case.

The aspect where I'll agree is the degree to which the justice system...civil and criminal...has become a political tool.

There's a, for want of a better word, bias toward balance in most mainstream media when it comes to political reporting, even today. It's a legacy of the days when they really did want to inform the public and let them make up their own minds. And in America, a legacy of the days when political parties just had different policy positions, but were otherwise relatively rational and responsible. It's a pretty new thing in the US for one of the major parties to be -- and I know I'm risking the Wrath of Dan for saying this, but I can't express it any other way -- actively promoting evil and insanity. I imagine it takes most decent reporters a while to wrap their heads around that also being something the public needs to be informed of. They're doing that a lot more often recently, though.

WRT the gag order...I'm not sure how fast they can proceed.  Trump has considerable leeway under the premise of free speech to start with...and I'm not sure how much violations of other gag orders could be held against him here.  My guess?  Not very much.  And this applies to what the judge can do, responding to violations...he's probably got to go back to square 1.  So minimal fines...which Trump will use for fund raising.

And I totally agree with the editor's letter, but it disregards a fact of its own.  There are real facts, and there are Trumpian facts.  The election WAS stolen...to his followers, that is a fact.  Period, full stop.  And that's the problem.  You can't correct MAGAts...without *deprogramming* them first.  That's a lot harder.