Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

47 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

WRT the gag order...I'm not sure how fast they can proceed.  Trump has considerable leeway under the premise of free speech to start with...and I'm not sure how much violations of other gag orders could be held against him here.  My guess?  Not very much.  And this applies to what the judge can do, responding to violations...he's probably got to go back to square 1.  So minimal fines...which Trump will use for fund raising.

Thing is, the trial Trump is mouthing off about now is a criminal trial, not civil. Penalties for violating those orders, and/or contempt of court, is not fines. It's jail time.

I see he’s seeking a ninth term in congress. Everyone seems to like their own flavor of congress critter, even the MTG and her ilk. I expect he’ll be re-elected given the stats on that, probably wouldn’t have said it if it did not play well in his District, but you never know…

All the Republicans in the House who are acting like a-holes are in deep red districts, so they don't have to worry about their reelection. And are apparently unconcerned with how they impact the GOP nationally. In the Senate they have to satisfy voters in their whole state, so they have to at least appear to be more reasonable.

Taking a vacation from the intensely depressing state of American politics, here's a speculation about countries that might not exist by the end of the 21st century. Three that could break up through ethnic separatism, and one -- the Maldives -- doomed by climate change. But that does include a hopeful note, as the Maldive government is determined not to go underwater without a fight.

Dean Shomshak

NYT Op-ed was written a couple weeks ago now, but a "hey, have you seen this?" email just arrived.

The lead:

The Trumpification of Kristi Noem
The South Dakota governor’s new teeth are just the latest step in a very MAGA makeover.

And just this week, Cyg posted the Weird History Channel's Gatorade vs. PowerAde video.  Gatorade had that really good, effective, and catchy jingle.

Yes, well, conflate the 2, and we have the New Republican Jingle...

Sometimes I dream
That he is me
You've got to see that's how I dream to be
I dream I move, I dream I groove
Like Trump
If I could be like Trump

I think this was the perfect response to a GOP proposal to rename Dulles airport after Trump.

Democratic congressmen unveil bill to rename a federal prison after Trump (nbcnews.com)

I'm just disappointed that nobody pointed out that renaming an airport after him wasn't so out of bounds, either, as he's likely a flight risk.

2 hours ago, csyphrett said:

Barry Diller said it was a con from the get go.

CES

Could there ever have been even a shred of doubt about that?  When is Trump NOT grifting?

Well, I suppose, maybe in picking the most accurate label.  Con...grift...panhandle.  It has the additional advantage of giving Trump an unlimited outlet for his spewage, altho the audience isn't exactly large...well, his direct audience.  Gotta figure there's some magnification due to the Internet Echo Chamber....

Ethan Crumbley was a kid with problems...serious problems.  Unfortunately, the issues culminated in a shooting spree at his high school that killed 4 other students.  He pled guilty and was sentenced to life without chance of parole.

What's notable is that, today, his parents were sentenced on charges of involuntary manslaughter.  The prosecution painted a picture that they *should have* seen warning signs, and done more to prevent this.  The juries (separate trials for each parent) clearly agreed.  They were both sentenced to 10-15 years.  They are the first convictions of parents, on charges of this magnitude, for deaths caused by their children.

Elsewhere, Trump's latest delaying tactics look to be ineffective.  He's pushing to get the trial judge in the Manhattan coverup case removed, on flimsy grounds.  Appeals judge rejected it, and said the trial could continue.  Trump can...almost certainly will, one has to believe...appeal to the full 5 man appeals court.  

Trump is used to dragging out law suits against himself, making them so costly and time-consuming that the other party eventually drops the case, while also trying to intimidate them. He doesn't seem to understand that the "other party" in this case has far more resources than he does, and is beyond his power to intimidate.

15 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Trump is used to dragging out law suits against himself, making them so costly and time-consuming that the other party eventually drops the case, while also trying to intimidate them. He doesn't seem to understand that the "other party" in this case has far more resources than he does, and is beyond his power to intimidate.

Well, if he is re electioned...  He will have the power and resources,  God help us.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Wake me up when Trump is put in jail, removed from a ballot, or pays a significant fine with his own money.

Fans of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga" are familiar with the uterine replicator -- an artificial womb that turns out to have all sorts of interesting implications. Well, some scientists are working on making it real.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/10/1243989409/artificial-wombs-could-someday-help-save-babies-born-prematurely

So why am I posting it here, instead of "Extra! Extra!"? Because it ends with a discussion of a possible political consequence: It might be used as another excuse to ban abortion, because in principle a fetus could be moved into an artifical womb instead. Though my first thought is: Are the anti-choicers willing to pay for it? I mean, themselves, or through a general tax?

Dean Shomshak

3 minutes ago, DShomshak said:

Fans of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga" are familiar with the uterine replicator -- an artificial womb that turns out to have all sorts of interesting implications. Well, some scientists are working on making it real.

https://www.npr.org/2024/04/10/1243989409/artificial-wombs-could-someday-help-save-babies-born-prematurely

So why am I posting it here, instead of "Extra! Extra!"? Because it ends with a discussion of a possible political consequence: It might be used as another excuse to ban abortion, because in principle a fetus could be moved into an artifical womb instead. Though my first thought is: Are the anti-choicers willing to pay for it? I mean, themselves, or through a general tax?

Dean Shomshak

In principle, perhaps, but it's also considerably trickier, IIRC.  It was possible...Miles proved that, even over and beyond the soltoxin issues.  But using one at all would likely run afoul of fundamentalist thought, as it's not God's way.  Artificial insemination is one thing...a machine controlling a pregnancy is something altogether different, and I can *easily* see it being anathema to them.  

And remember where the replicator was developed...Beta Colony.  Hooooo BOY, that'd make the smoke pour outta their ears!!  And it's arguably part and parcel, at least when it's maintained for general public use.  On the path we in the US are going?  I'd be worried it'd be used more like it's used in Jackson's Hole...or on Cetaganda, where I suspect LOTS more culling happens.  

(No, I'm not gonna explain the references.  Go read the books, if you don't get em.  Trust me.  You'll thank me.)