A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I think if I could plan for an upcoming apocalypse of pretty much any type, I would stockpile coffee. Coffee of every sort, from cheap instant crystals to the finest beans in the world. The way people act when they don't get it, and the way people act when they do get it... I could pretty much barter my coffee for anything else in the world, from food to weapons to sexual favors to slave labor.

(Of course, I'd also have to have plenty of weapons to protect my stockpile from the hoards of grouchy, sleepy, uncoordinated caffeine-heads out there, but what could be more fun than shooting a few Starbucks zombies?) :bounce:

It hit 101-effing-degrees in the DC Metro area, today, and it's going to be in the 90s/100s for at least another week. My wife and I are counting our blessings that we got moved out of our previous non-air-conditioned place last weekend.

A woman just asked me out on Facebook.

Didn't think they had any decent restaurants there.

Apparently, overwhelming despair is sexy?

To some... :P

Then again, I'm probably to 'old school' if I think Facebook dating is an act of desperation.

It is now July 8, the anniversary of two significant anniversaries in my life.

One year ago, I was traveling to Canada, and I got nauseous. The ensuing illness hospitalized me and made me pretty much useless for nearly six months. I've discussed it in detail before, I won't do so again, but it was an ugly chapter in my life that I'm glad is finally closed.

Eleven years ago, I got married. The ensuing loveless marriage and divorce nearly destroyed me and I'm surprised I made it through alive, frankly. I've discussed it in great detail before, I won't do so again, but it was an ugly chapter in my life that I'm glad is finally closed.

So, what does today hold? Can't wait.

It's kind of funny. I was looking back on my last year's worth of Facebook posts. Apparently, teh ebil bunneh ranges from being a mere narcissist*, to a neighborhood nuissance**, to a thug***, to a viscious serial killer****, to a genocidal world-leader wanted by the international community*****, to the harbinger of the end of the world******.

teh bunneh is all things to all people! (As long as we define "all things" as "most types of criminals".) =:D

* And the whole of the Law shall be, “Yes, but what have you done for me lately?”

** I got arrested last night, just for playing Tarzan. Or, as the police put it in their report, “Suspect was found naked in his neighbor’s tree, screaming.”

*** The streets today are filled with murderers, thugs, low-lives, and madmen. And by “filled with” I mean “they still haven’t caught me.”

**** The only things a man needs to be truly happy are a scalpel, a length of rubber tubing, and a sound-proof basement.

***** It seems like everything these days is automated or built in some overseas factory out of pre-formed plastic. We just don’t have a sense of craftsmanship anymore. Which is why I prefer to commit genocide the old-fashioned way. It has that artistic, old-world, hand-crafted feel to it that I think my victims really appreciate. And, it maintains its value for so much longer. It’s like industrial-scale murder that you can be proud to pass on to your grandkids.

****** If a book is giving off vibes of purest evil, bound in chains, screaming, or appears to be bound in human skin or written in blood, do not open it. Just FYI.

So as some of you may know, Viacom's contract with DIRECTV expired this Tuesday, so they pulled all their channels off it to make them pay more money.

Which is stupid given that a. that cost gets passed along to the customers and b. many of those customers have discovered streaming options.

So on DIRECTV's special website, they told customers that fans of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report that they could see the shows on their respective websites.

Except that when DIRECTV did that, Viacom responded by taking most of those episodes off their sites. Thereby affecting fans who have cable or DISH and therefore wouldn't have cared until now.

In business theory, this is what's called "a dick move."

JG