A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Now I know what the problem with The Newsroom is. In the latest episode, the main character, anchorman Will McAvoy, wants to get rid of anonymous comments on his show's website, on the grounds that "it would encourage civility and lead to a revival of populism." Does he NOT realize these are diametrically opposed goals?

JG

Now here is a thing. I was out and about yesterday when I saw Ian Hislop, editor of the Private Eye Magazine, near the Royal Courts of Justice. Later after walking a bit upto and into Soho I passed a cafe where Jimmy Sommerville was sitting down talking to someone. Sommerville was in a group called Bronski Beat and the Communards before going solo. However there is a long running joke on the show 'Have I got News for You' that Hislop looks like Mr Sommerville. So it was a bit weird to see them both in the same day.

I got this curiously inappropriate spam in email at work today. The best line is

We are specialized in manufacturing and exporting for silicon artificial breast form and have total 283 models.

And all I could think was "283 different breast models??" :nonp: That seems like a lot.

Every few years, I start listening to Top 40 radio again. I get really into it. I find some great new songs, some fun new artists. I buy a bunch of MP3s, and I listen to them a lot. I like pop music; it's catchy and bouncy and fun and new. But after a while, I remember why I stopped listening to Top 40 -- because they play the same 40 songs over and over again. That's why it's called Top 40. So I get bored and stop listening for a year or two. And then I happen to catch some fun pop tune somewhere, and it draws me back in.

I remember listening to the Apocalyptica tecno remix of O Fortuna while driving my '66 Mustang through the ruins of North Hollywood, loaded down with water, MRE's, blankets, and lanterns, with an M-1 Garand sitting between the seats and APC's on every major intersection.

You just can't make sh*t like that up.

(day after the North Ridge quake, if you were wondering. My Fiance' lived down there)

I saw someone dressed in costume on the bus ride home. He said he was a "superhero who lost his superpowers." Thing is, he didn't act like a superhero. He was loud and obnoxious with his pals who weren't in costume, but were just as loud and obnoxious (are superheroes allowed to drop the f-bomb?). And all that bragging about killing meth dealers didn't help. I don't think he understands what it actually means to be a superhero.

Just to be sure, I looked at the real-life superhero registry, but I couldn't find him. I guess he was just another crazy guy in the city. At least I have an interesting story to share with you folks.

There are days when I wish stupidity was painful. When someone says something stupid, you just want to slap them. You just want to hit them until they stop with the stupid. I just want to slap them until all the stupid gets knocked loose and falls out. Or maybe fit everyone with an electric collar that delivers a painful shock when they say (or type) something stupid. I don't think it would stop them from being stupid, but it might at least stop them from saying stupid things.

There should be some punishment for being stupid.

Twice today, entirely separate things (one of them on these forums) have made me think about whether things are as I'd be satisfied with if I got killed in the next 24 hours. I am not usually so morbid.

Here I am

I'm on the outside looking in

it's cold

but I brought my blanket

I got my guitar

and a picture of my old sweetheart

I sit down

and I begin to think, yeah

When I was a little boy

I always played alone

I guess I had a

Imagination

But I never imagined

one day I would write this song

Starin' through the window at the reception

They were all gathered round the table

she held a knife and he held her hand, yeah

They cut the cake and the toast champagne and laughter

but it cut me deepest when they began to dance oh

they were dancing close

he held her tight

made me reminisce of those hot summer nights

when she lay right there

in my arms

gave me love

now those days have gone

she, has got to be the devil's daughter

cause if she was my angel, she would fly on home to me

They tell me boy

life goes on

but it's a living hell

and there's no end in sight, no. no no

and the pain

keeps on burning

it's a living hell

loving another man's wife, oh

they were dancing close

he held her tight

made me reminisce of those hot summer nights

when she lay right there

in my arms

gave me love

now those days have gone

cause if she was my angel, she would fly on home to me

oh don't you know

she -wooo! has got to be the devil's daughter

she has got to be the devil's daughter, oh

Oh don't you know she, has to to be the devil's daughter,

cause if she was my angel she would fly on home to me.

-Chris Thomas King

Song is stuck in my head.