Funny Pics II: The Revenge

1 hour ago, Old Man said:

To be fair, there's a difference in seeing a drawn picture of violence, and seeing graphically simulated violence on screen.

I'm not sure I can agree with that.  I remember back when Batman Returns came out, and Peter David wrote a review for Comics Buyers' Guide, in which he stated "I could have done without the gore."  Well, I don't remember all that much gore in the movie--there was a scene in which The Penguin bites someone's nose off, but that's all that comes to mind.  Thing is, I had just read one of the books in his Psi-Man series in which the villain was a shapeshifting assassin named Stalker--and there was more gore in that than in all three of the original Robocop movies.  One scene I do remember was a thoroughly detailed description of one of Stalker's victims getting his head crushed under the weights of a universal exercise machine.  And I read that description, and I remembered his comment about Batman Returns, and I said to myself, "What The Emmmin-Efffin' Heck!?!?!"  Because even though the violence may be a written description, one still pictures the act described in one's mind, using that wonderful thing called "imagination."  And by picturing the act in one's mind, it has an effect upon the reader.

I believe that the author of a story of the creator of a work of art has the right to create the work as he or she sees fit.  But to somehow think there is a difference between a written depiction of violence and a visual depiction---I'm sorry, but as the bad guys used to say to Maxwell Smart, "I find that hard to believe."

15 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

99286680_10159855763543502_9792876290758

Points for "Meth Lab".  "Lion Under Oath" would be a possibility.  "Miscegenation Mule" would be a tacky cheap shot.  Though as a geek I suggest "Subversion Python" for purely geek reasons.  And "Smuggling Cod" is so obscure no one will get it.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

Points for "Meth Lab".

Yeah, that was the only one that struck me as really clever.

I'm honestly surprised at how quickly the "murder hornet" concept has entered the wider public consciousness. Not the speed of the meme spreading -- that's common on today's Internet. But the very idea seems to have struck a nerve.