Game of Thrones Discussion Thread

Bazza

On 5/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, drunkonduty said:

Add to that the end of the first great arc of the MCU (11 years?) only a few weeks ago  and I am feeling full of conflicting emotions. Something like the little death. Fulfilled. Satisfied. But also lost. Ce la vie.

Big Bang Theory ended.

Game of Thrones ended.

Marvel finishes up an 11 year story arc.

It feels oddly like completing a major chapter in life with the foreboding that the next chapter can't possibly be as good.

4 hours ago, Toxxus said:

Big Bang Theory ended.

Game of Thrones ended.

Marvel finishes up an 11 year story arc.

I never really followed GoT, and BBT frustrated me with the same stereotypes about scientists and academics that every other sitcom (Ross Gellar, anyone) has used over the past 30+ years. I've never watched a full episode of either.

To misquote Meat Loaf, one out of three ain't bad.

I enjoyed the first few seasons of BBT, because I know people like all those characters. They were cliche, but often cliches exist because there's truth behind them. The characters were exaggerated, but frankly, not by that much. But the show dragged on for too long, falling into a creative rut. And all those aging man-children did start to feel offensive.

GoT is a rare example of a show that didn't go on long enough. It needed more time to properly lay out its story.

I haven't watch BBT for a few years either, but I did enjoy it.

Re. the the man babies. Yeah, exaggerated stereotypes. But it's comedy. You get comedy through exaggeration. (and other methods yes.) I don't get how people are offended by it. As gamers we are all of us a bit that way. And probably many of us have been more like Sheldon, Leonard, etc than we like to admit. (In the past I have displayed many characteristics of both Leonard and Raj. And I knew at least one one guy who had a lot of Sheldon-esque qualities.) One has to be able to laugh at oneself.

I really liked the series, but this last season felt like a microwaved desser, after a fine, chef prepared, seven course meal. Too rushed and flat. The structure of a good ending was there but the ornamentation and build up was missing. 

This is shot gave me chills, even if the symbolism was obvious and heavy handed. 

As to the whole Season 8 sucked, a writer for Scientific American spotted that it was a shift in storytelling method that may have been responsible for many characters gaining plot armor in this last season. 

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1

This article also hints at maybe why I dislike overly cinematic campaigns, and possibly my distaste for Narrative based gameplay. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:37 PM, Pariah said:

Well, it's come to an end. It was a long, hard eight seasons, but I persevered. I made it through. And now I can stand, and proudly proclaim....

I never saw a single episode.

😛

You knew this was coming so I will not disappoint you or anyone else.

[General Zod mode]

why do you say this to me when you know I will kill you for it ?

[/General Zod mode]