SHAZAM! (spoilers)

Starlord

This was a fun movie.  I'd give a solid B.  Levi was great, a believable wide-eyed teenager.  Kind of a double origin story in that a lot of time was spent on Sivana.  Little Darla and Darla Marvel stole the movie.  I was surprised they jumped into the Marvel Family in this movie, but it really worked.  Two end credit scenes, one intro-ing the next villain - Mister Mind - and the 2nd was a poke at Aquaman.  The Superman cameo was nice.  Basically 'Big' with superheroes as everyone expected and the folks who made the movie knew it as well with the scene in the toy store.  More dark humor than I thought they'd have, but overall a fun 2 hours.

1 hour ago, Starlord said:

They also hint at Black Adam's origins early in the movie.

I would have much preferred Black Adam as an opponent in the first movie.

There are good reasons for holding off Black Adam until the second movie. But if there turns out to not be a second movie, it'll make it harder to introduce Black Adam as an iconic DC villain.

Saw it today, enjoyed it. Thought they would do to much teen/kid stuff, but did a good job. Like the Marvel Family and that they kept that really their powers are variants of the main heroes. Silvana was a good villain, but I always liked the actor. Levi does a good job, much like Hanks in Big. I fully expected to see him go back and have a "talk" with his mom's boyfriend, ala Clark in Superman 2 and the diner thug.

As a note, they got a really good match to play super Mary, I had figured were using same actress in the suit.

I saw it last night with my wife and we both quite liked it.

It's a good humorous take on what it would be like to have superpowers if you were a kid.  I thoroughly enjoyed them abusing his amazing powers to buy beer and candy and all the messing around they did on youtube.

A friend of ours saw it with her kids and they all loved it too, I think it's a really solid family movie too.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I wonder if their decision to turn Sivana away from being a mad scientist type was because they couldn't figure out a way to write him effectively in that role or some idea that you don't want to show science as bad?

I'd assume it was because they couldn't figure out how to portray a scientist villain.

Look at how many Superman movies have screwed up Lex Luthor.

I saw it tonight and I think this was the most thoroughly entertaining of any DC movie yet.  I didn't read Capt. Marvel growing up, I just knew of him and the Marvel family in general, and what little I've seen of the character in the animated shows, so I had next to zero expectations.  Very well done.  Mark Strong was good as usual, but Zachary Levi really nailed it.  I really liked how they handled all the flying too, the hovering and aerial combat were great.

Saw it, liked it. Minor quibbles about the editing of the last fight, in that it was a little confusing, and the pacing stumbles a bit. Still it was as solid B and I loved the teenaged reactions too everything. Darla did steal the show, and I was completely surprised at the Marvel Family introduction. Well done. I would watch more from this series. Next week, Endgame.