Birds of Prey (2020)

Cassandra

Suicide Squad: we're gonna toss all theses characters together with no development, toss in a bunch of unkillable zombie-types (because who doesn't love zombies), we're not going to give any of the characters ANY amount of development (except Smith [on account of how much we're gonna have to pay him] and Robbie [because she's hot and Harley is a big thing]), oh, and we'll have Affleck cameo his Batman (to generate interest in his solo outing) and toss them in the shake-n-bake and see what we can make of it...

12 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

To give you an idea of how low I set the bar for superhero flicks - I was OK with Suicide Squad.  It wasn't good, but it was good enough for me.

Birds of Prey was new and improved extra trash plus with 33% more fail.

Not a superhero flick.  A quasi supervillain evil traitor rogue agency mess maybe.  But very poorly executed.

11 hours ago, Greywind said:

Suicide Squad: we're gonna toss all theses characters together with no development, toss in a bunch of unkillable zombie-types (because who doesn't love zombies), we're not going to give any of the characters ANY amount of development (except Smith [on account of how much we're gonna have to pay him] and Robbie [because she's hot and Harley is a big thing]), oh, and we'll have Affleck cameo his Batman (to generate interest in his solo outing) and toss them in the shake-n-bake and see what we can make of it...

Their shake-n-bake bag had holes and they forgot key ingredients.....

1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

Let me get this straight.  They are remaking a movie that came out four years, but without the box office appeal Will Smith.

They are really out of ideas.

No, it is getting a sequel in August of 2021, but nobody associated with the production has said anything about a reboot.  Though, it new director, James Gunn, may choose to not honor every last thing from the 1st movie and they have already said that Margot Robbie will be dressed differently than the first movie.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a837989/suicide-squad-2-cast-trailer-release-date-plot-news/

3 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Let me get this straight.  They are remaking a movie that came out four years, but without the box office appeal Will Smith.

They are really out of ideas.

Nope. They are full of ideas. Lots of them! They are just out of good ideas. 

21 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Opening weekend domestic box office:  $33,010,017.

That is garbage for a modern superhero flick.

True, but it has a very solid audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so presumably is getting positive word of mouth. Scott Ruggels take on it not withstanding.  Also, really it his no real competition in the action genre for the next month.  So it may be able to stay in the theaters long enough to break even or even make a profit.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

So, she liked before she saw it?

oookay

I think she was just saying that she like trailers and the director and cast interviews, and that is fair.

9 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

True, but it has a very solid audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so presumably is getting positive word of mouth.

I personally think that Rotten Tomatoes adjusts its ratings.  All of its ratings.

In the past I could ask around locally and get about the same opinions as the audience rating.  But these days the more the entertainment site and so called audience rating sites try to whip up interest the worse the movie seems to be. 

Yes it s just my opinion, and we know about opinions :shock:

7 minutes ago, Spence said:

I personally think that Rotten Tomatoes adjusts its ratings.  All of its ratings.

In the past I could ask around locally and get about the same opinions as the audience rating.  But these days the more the entertainment site and so called audience rating sites try to whip up interest the worse the movie seems to be. 

It has let other big budget, Warner Brother movies have crappy audience ratings.  Why would it do any favors for BOP?

47 minutes ago, Spence said:

Yeah, I have heard rumors Rotten Tomatoes ratings might be sometimes artificial.  Don t know, don't care enough to investigate.

6 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

It has let other big budget, Warner Brother movies have crappy audience ratings.  Why would it do any favors for BOP?

Didn't say they do it for free.  I'm guessing they get payed to put a thumb on the scale.

WB?  Why would they pay?  Their movies have a pretty good track record and probably don't see much gain for dumping additional $ on web based ratings.  

Now DC movies have set records for being craptacular and are desperate make at least a mediocre comic flick.  

I could see them buying anything they could get their hands on that might get someone to buy a ticket. 

But back to BoP.  I know people how relentlessly defend comic movies, and they aren't even trying on this one. 

To be fair I'll probably wait till it shows up free on a channel somewhere.  But the Suicide Squad treatment was brutally bad.  Especially with the talent they had and then picking the most craptacular versions of the characters in a meh plot.  I can't bring myself to watch something trying to build on something so bad as if it was a good thing.  Brrrrrr.......

1 hour ago, aylwin13 said:

Way, way, way down on my viewing list. Same with most of the DC movies, even when they're free. I still haven't even watched Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

The theatrical cut was a free movie on the plane I was on a few years ago. I almost stopped it halfway through, because it was boring. I've since seen the extended cut, which explains a few things, and isn't quite as bad. There's actually a piece of a great romantic comedy/espionage thriller buried in the middle*, which would have made a much better movie.

*Diana and Bruce attempt to steal computer data from NotLex during a party. One bright spot that shows just how crappy everything else was in that movie.

The desperate bid to change the movie's fortune by calling it Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey has failed, prompting the studio to change it yet again.  It will now be known as Marvel's Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey.  When asked about violating Marvels copyright a studio spokesman said "Copyright, Smopyright!"

13 hours ago, Spence said:

Oh they do. If one watches the ratings of things like Dr. Who, or  Bop, the rating will low, briefly go to zero, and then have  a mysterious rise.  SW:TROS has been at an improbably fixed 86% since early in its run. Rotten Tomatoes has become a shill site since Captain Marvel. 

15 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

The desperate bid to change the movie's fortune by calling it Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey has failed, prompting the studio to change it yet again.  It will now be known as Marvel's Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey.  When asked about violating Marvels copyright a studio spokesman said "Copyright, Smopyright!"

:whistle: