Birds of Prey (2020)

Cassandra

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Yeah, I have heard rumors Rotten Tomatoes ratings might be sometimes artificial.  Don t know, don't care enough to investigate.

I used to trust the audience rating and found it to be a pretty good gauge of what to expect.

Lately though I've seen a couple of turds and the audience ratings were very high.

Going to have to find another site for reviews if this keeps up.

Saw this last night. It was okay, but they really upped the camp level to the point where you can't take any of the characters seriously. They're ALL played for laughs while doing not for laughs things. McGregor is WAY over the top as the Black Mask. The fight scenes are cool, but it all seems so superficial that you're never really invested in the proceedings. I'd say rent it.

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

:whistle:

This reminds me of when Mayor Quimby introduced Leonard Nimoy at the opening of the Springfield Monorail.  

"It looks like it could do warp seven,"  Nimoy said about the monorail.

"And may the Force be with you!"  Quimby added.

"Do you even know who I am?"  Nimoy asked.

"I think so.  Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?"  Quimby replied.

4 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Oh they do. If one watches the ratings of things like Dr. Who, or  Bop, the rating will low, briefly go to zero, and then have  a mysterious rise.  SW:TROS has been at an improbably fixed 86% since early in its run. Rotten Tomatoes has become a shill site since Captain Marvel. 

I thought so, but never tried to look into it enough to prove one way or another.

Since they have gone to one or maybe two movies a year, it just isn't that important anymore....

2 minutes ago, Spence said:

I thought so, but never tried to look into it enough to prove one way or another.

Since they have gone to one or maybe two movies a year, it just isn't that important anymore....

There is a YouTube channel called Nerdrotic, that I subscribe to as it delves into the fan Media, and the host documents this. He is probably one of the most disappointed Dr. Who fans in the U.S. He's pretty much disappointed in everything lately, and notes the rigged results of numerous old franchises of SF,, once beloved by the fans, but in rapid decline due to "agendas".

1 hour ago, Scott Ruggels said:

He is probably one of the most disappointed Dr. Who fans in the U.S. He's pretty much disappointed in everything lately, and notes the rigged results of numerous old franchises of SF,, once beloved by the fans, but in rapid decline due to "agendas".

Well he is not wrong.   Theaters very seldom have anything, but the TV is practically drowning in agenda.  They don't even try to make it plausible. 

I read a lot now.

52 minutes ago, Scott Ruggels said:

I haven't had a TV since 2006, so I watch a lot of YouTube, and occasionally Netflix on my iPad. Movies I rarely see on opening day and wait for the reviews from trusted sources/friends.

Oh I still have TV.  But when I watch it is usually history or science.  Or Anime.  Or some foreign film. 

But I have returned to my youth where reading is my go to for entertainment. 

These days even history and science shows are becoming agenda driven.  sign....

Saw it today. I enjoyed it. It was the movie I thought would be and many moments had me chuckling in the same way Ledgers pencil trick did. I found it fascinating watching McGregor channel Oldman's cop from The Professional as Sibonis. I echo Gale's disappointment in the Cassandra character and would have liked seeing at end Montoya become a version of the Question.

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

Saw it today. I enjoyed it. It was the movie I thought would be and many moments had me chuckling in the same way Ledgers pencil trick did. I found it fascinating watching McGregor channel Oldman's cop from The Professional as Sibonis. I echo Gale's disappointment in the Cassandra character and would have liked seeing at end Montoya become a version of the Question.

I think they may have been hinting at that with Renee's mask at the end of the movie, but I didn't get a good enough look at it to say for sure.  If I go back for a second watch, I will pay more attention to it.

I also wanted to add that the Harley they are doing is straight from her solo comics after the year one reboot DC did about 8 or so years ago. The being roller derbi and having friends there, the stuffed beaver she talks to. I also really enjoyed that she would psychoanalyze people while fighting or running for her life.

58 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I also wanted to add that the Harley they are doing is straight from her solo comics after the year one reboot DC did about 8 or so years ago.

Oh, then it had nothing to do with the comics.  It was one of those things that came out that tried unsuccessfully to fill the void after the comic industry died.  Got it.

:angel:

I think we were discussing how current year marketing is box office cancer:

https://jalopnik.com/we-deserve-an-all-female-fast-and-furious-spin-off-1841671250

and then how've studios manipulate Rotten Tomatoes to gaslight movie goers to try to recover box office revenue, or a films damaged reputation. 

It occures to me that for a movie that is suppose to be anti-men is equally against women as well.  Black Canary is not the strong heroine living with the legacy of being the daughter of a great superheroine, and instead is a singer in a strip club.  Cassandra Cain is not the complex martial artist who took the mantle of Batgirl and instead is a thief who swallows a diamond.  Rene Montoya is not the touch police officer and instead is the angry older woman cliche who never gets the credit she thinks she deserves, and is a good 30 years older then she should be (and Rosie Perez!!!, was Wanda Sykes not available.)   And worst of all is Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, trying to be Madonna and mistaking idiocy with quirky, and is the cliche of the psycho ex which makes you wonder what the writers private lives are like.

Well, every pop-culture creation is to some extent a product of the trends of their time. Some just spring from their zeitgeist naturally, while others are deliberate attempts to adopt it (which are rarely successful as entertainment IMO). But there are still others which seek to satirize those same trends to deconstruct them.

Not having seen BOP (nor having any intention to, to be honest) I'm in no position to opine where it fits in that spectrum.

13 hours ago, Cassandra said:

It occures to me that for a movie that is suppose to be anti-men is equally against women as well.  Black Canary is not the strong heroine living with the legacy of being the daughter of a great superheroine, and instead is a singer in a strip club.  Cassandra Cain is not the complex martial artist who took the mantle of Batgirl and instead is a thief who swallows a diamond.  Rene Montoya is not the touch police officer and instead is the angry older woman cliche who never gets the credit she thinks she deserves, and is a good 30 years older then she should be (and Rosie Perez!!!, was Wanda Sykes not available.)   And worst of all is Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn, trying to be Madonna and mistaking idiocy with quirky, and is the cliche of the psycho ex which makes you wonder what the writers private lives are like.

It could be worse.

Much worse.

It could be Catwoman starring Halle Berry. I saw it. It was awful.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

It could be worse.

Much worse.

It could be Catwoman starring Halle Berry. I saw it. It was awful.

Eh? I didn’t think it was that bad. Then again I’ve been told that taste in movies is ......quirky?

And I heard that Rotten Tomatoes lately has succumbed to financial indentured. Originally it was legit however once the industry noticed that people were looking to Rotten Tomatoes as a guide they went to influence it.