What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Old episodes of The Bill from the late 80s. In one episode, the relief have to stay on as the British version of IAD turn up. Someone was issuing on  the spot fines and pocketing the cash. Turns out it was a police mechanic and his girlfriend in a panda they borrowed. Quite sneaky. 

Two things I was previously unaware of:

1. Pandas are available for rental in the UK.

2. You can climb inside of a Panda and ride it around.

Doesn't sound like a fun thing to do to the most famously endangered animal on Earth.

Como funcionan casi todas las cosas (How Most Things Work), a 2015 Argentenian film about a young woman who quits her job as a tollbooth worker to become an encyclopedia salesperson so she can find her long-lost mother. From the blurb, I expected this to be wacky, but it was mostly the type of thing you'd expect from a competently made indie movie: interesting characters in an uncommon story told with deliberate pacing. I enjoyed the movie, and especially enjoyed seeing bits of Argentinian life I'd never seen before.

There was a series called Monkey that ran in the 70s which is about Journey to the West. The monk was played by a woman. Sadly she developed cancer and died at a young age although the guys who played Monkey, Pigsy and Sandy were still alive last I heard

Absolutely loved that as a kid. Spent many a happy hour pretending in the garden, swinging a long wooden pole round my neck while making swooshing noises to summon my cloud :D

Superman (1978) - I picked up one of those Blu-Ray sets where there's three movies in the package, in this case Superman, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut, and Superman Returns. Watching this version of Superman, I kept on running into extra scenes that I didn't remember. Turns out, the Blu-Ray was based upon a Special Edition cut that was assembled around 2000, with about 8 extra minutes of footage (151 minute total running time), and with Richard Donner's input.

In researching this, I found that Warner Brothers has just released the 188 minute "TV version" that was originally shown over two nights on ABC (which wasn't really all that special, if I remember correctly).

About 20 years ago, I remember watching a cut made to sell the movie to distributors (the gentleman who had it worked for a TV station at the time), and it ran the entire movie in about 45 minutes.

We finished up a couple of Freeform web shows starring Lisa Schwartz: This Isn't Working and Party Girl. Hilarious! More, please

We tried an episode of The Good Doctor. Seemed like just another relationship drama. Pass.

After two episodes of The Gifted, it seems like a keeper. Characters you care about, action that's exciting, and an interesting story. Nice!

On the other hand, we couldn't make it through the first half hour of Inhumans. Are they even trying with this one? There are lots of better choices out there, so there's no reason to spend time watching this one.

Returning series The MiddleModern FamilySpeechless, The Good Place, and This is Us are all still good. Especially the last two. Amazingly great stuff!

Oh, and Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (the current, BBC America one) is lots of fun.

Designated Survivor - getting a little heavy (well, heavier) handed with the 'subtle' criticism of the current state of American politics this season but I guess that's to be expected.  I think it's pretty much impossible for political show writers, be they drama or satire, to get writers block right now.

Superman Returns - Taking place 5 years after the events in Superman II, Lex Luthor arrives with another land scheme that will kill "billions", by using the Krypton crystal technology to rework the world. Serviceable, but lacking a little of the charm of the originals. Brandon Routh is fine as Superman, but doesn't really seem to have a handle on Clark Kent.

• 2 weeks later...

Went and saw The Foreigner, the latest Jackie Chan movie. Was not what I expected. Was very good. More Political thriller then your typical Chan movie. I enjoyed it a lot. Spoilering the impetus for those who wish to see it:

Young hotheads in the IRA apparently set off a bomb in London, killing a number of people including the only remaining daughter of a Chinese refugee (Chan). He seeks answers as both the British govt and the Irish liason (Pierce Brosnan) attempt to find out. As the search apparently is stalled, Chan takes matters in hand and goes after Brosnan (a former IRA member) and begins setting non lethal bombs and traps to force him to give up the names, that he believes Brosnan is withholding. Infighting in the IRA isn't helping.

Went and saw The Foreigner, the latest Jackie Chan movie. Was not what I expected. Was very good. More Political thriller then your typical Chan movie. I enjoyed it a lot. Spoilering the impetus for those who wish to see it:

Didn't read the spoiler

But great to hear about the movie.  I was planning on seeing it based on a few of his non-comedy movies.  I'm glad to hear it turned out good.

Not a lot on TV that is worth it this season.   And by worth it I mean something that I actually find myself looking forward to the next episode. 

Most of the advertised comedy shows are either older ones in the death spiral of pandering repeat or new ones that have a feel that they are desperately trying to be funny. 

The drama shows are pretty much meh.

I have a fairly large number set to record, but usually wind up deleting most half watched. 

I thought Orville might be "that show", but it is evolving into so so. 

Maybe I'm just getting old, but 5th grade potty humor was more interesting........

Netflix's Voltron season '4' - really just an extension to the 8 episode season 3 they released in the summer.

since it was short - 6 episodes - the flaws stood out more (you can't afford a dud episode in a six episode run.  Something other properties should take note of) but overall the story and animation remain surprisingly good for what it is.   I would happily watch it on my own (as I have) and with my son in a year or two.

It has a stronger sense of continuity than most prime time science fiction series.  I find that amusing.