Hero Games 2022 Update

Jason S.Walters

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I did like NM concept for agents as in they’re not full character sheets per se. I wish 5th would do something like that. Have a individual sheet for the agent type but another condensed form for running huge mobs.

It wouldn't be hard to emulate. Just give a rough ratio of Stun for crowd:agent. So a gang of 10 Viper agents may be built with 50 Stun, which means for every 5 Stun the number of agents decreases.

I liked some of the concepts of C:NM and how they tried to update the ideas behind the game. Looking back on it, I often wonder how much M&M was influenced by it.

I saw CNM as "Image". I had no issue making characters though a little one dimensional since normally the Hero powers were really there. Th idea of a universal plug and play system is nice, heck we play Hero - the problem was like the WinModem. More fiddle to get it to work. I remember one big issue with CNM is it had v5 on the front so many thought it was 5th Edition.

Next year (83-23) will be my 40 years of playing Hero, IN July as well.

5 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

It wouldn't be hard to emulate. Just give a rough ratio of Stun for crowd:agent. So a gang of 10 Viper agents may be built with 50 Stun, which means for every 5 Stun the number of agents decreases.

I liked some of the concepts of C:NM and how they tried to update the ideas behind the game. Looking back on it, I often wonder how much M&M was influenced by it.

I haven’t sat down yet but I have a feeling that I should be able to use an agent and just a se “Duplication” powers from from the Champions Powers book and use that for a squad.

Late to the thread....

For Patreon, my pledge level would depend on what the content is.   I am in a minority in that I play mainly Fantasy and Sci-Fi with some others thrown in.  Almost everything but Champions. 

I would really love to see something like Champtions International, but for The Turakian Age.  16-32 page items released periodically going over the various countries, groups, other things (adventures) of that setting.  But again, I know I am in the minority and there probably is not the fan base for it.

I am going to have to look over Champions Begins to see what is there and I can move over to another genre.  I sounds like a starter set and I am curious.

Unfortunately, I still have not played Hero in almost a decade.  Work, family, life has really limited my time.  I have been running DND 5E modules.  With our group spread across the country, Roll20 integration and DND Beyond make it easy to run.  Some of those modules I even bought twice (1. To have the maps integrated into the Roll20 VTT and 2. for ease of organization in DNDBeyond).

I still throw money at Hero every 6 to 12 months and buy things that would save me time (mainly modules/adventures and HD packs).  Hmmm...  It has been almost 10 months since I bought anything from the Hero Store.   I need to go back through and look to see if there were any adventures/modules released in 2021.  Definitely have to pick up some of the Hero Designer Vehicle Packs released last year.   Saves me time if I ever get around to running Hero again.  :)  And yes, I even plan on buying the Western Hero "The Taming of Tascora" Adventure/Module.   I figure that I can re-skin it if I ever want to run a Post-Apoc/Fallout/Morrow game.  That is why I bought Western Hero...  use it for low tech ideas if I ever want to run something in the South-West. 

On 1/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, HeroGM said:

Look at 7th Sea

That is a game that was completely false advertising.  They claimed it was a sea going adventure, but the sea part and the ship part was ludicrous.  Pure false flag. 

I haven't opened my Kickstarter book since the crushing disappointment of the lie.

it may be a fantastic Three Musketeers type political intrigue game, but a half dozen pages graced with a half a$$ed list of ship names is not even close to a seafaring swashbuckling RPG.

I hate being scammed.

12 hours ago, HeroGM said:

@Spencei

I can understand that. I haven't really looked at 2e. 1st did have a nice way of dealing with hench folk though.

Oh, the game has some neat ideas and cool ways to handle intrigue.  Absolutely. 

But it wasn't billed or advertised as a machiavellian political intrigue game.  

It was billed as swashbuckling adventurer on the Seven Seas!   As in 7th Sea!

And it wasn't. 

It was a bait and switch lie.

On 1/30/2022 at 12:14 PM, Spence said:

Oh, the game has some neat ideas and cool ways to handle intrigue.  Absolutely. 

But it wasn't billed or advertised as a machiavellian political intrigue game.  

It was billed as swashbuckling adventurer on the Seven Seas!   As in 7th Sea!

And it wasn't. 

It was a bait and switch lie.

Yes, I backed the Kickstarter as well, so I know where you’re coming from. As it is, I use it as source material for a potential Hero campaign setting I would run.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, zslane said:

Would still love to see the 6e Vehicles core book that never got published.

I am actually thinking that what might be more interesting than a list of Vehicles is an approach to capture the World Building along with the vehicles. For Modern this of course is capturing existing products. For Sci-Fi tying the vehicles to the technology levels, manufacturing worlds, MegaCorporations etc. To me having vehicles defined as part of a world building exercise (even one very limited in scope i.e. with only a few vehicles) and would be much more useful to me as a GM. 

Nothing I want or need from this year's releases then.

Regarding a Patreon, as Norm said, it would depend on the content. There are an awful lot of Patreons now and only so much money. An Advanced Player's Guide III sounds vaguely interesting, but Martial World not at all.

Mythic Hero would cause me to sign up straight away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2022 at 9:35 AM, Kester said:

I am actually thinking that what might be more interesting than a list of Vehicles is an approach to capture the World Building along with the vehicles. For Modern this of course is capturing existing products. For Sci-Fi tying the vehicles to the technology levels, manufacturing worlds, MegaCorporations etc. To me having vehicles defined as part of a world building exercise (even one very limited in scope i.e. with only a few vehicles) and would be much more useful to me as a GM. 

Sounds kinda like a callout for a Mecha Hero sourcebook, and a new Robot Warriors campaign book. The Mecha Hero book is all about a look at what a mecha campaign is, and Robot Warriors 2nd edition is a setting which would see a world where mecha are part of the setting. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 5:26 AM, Lord Liaden said:

For Champions there isn't as much need for an official setting in which adventures are based, because most gamers' supers campaigns are set in some variation of the familiar real world. There are quite a few professionally-done adventures in that genre, particularly for 6E:

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/94-king-of-the-mountain-pdf/
https://www.herogames.com/store/product/506-evilution-unchained-pdf/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/87-imaginary-friends-pdf/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/94-king-of-the-mountain-pdf/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/107-pretty-hate-machines-pdf/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/53-the-crossroads-blues/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/28-unkindness-pdf/

https://www.herogames.com/store/product/23-war-of-worldcraft-pdf/

For fantasy and sci-fi the adventure list is far shorter, and more could be done with them. However, DOJ would have to choose one of the four official fantasy settings, and two official sci-fi ones, that Hero Games has published to set them in, or else design a completely new one (which strikes me as an unnecessary expenditure of energy, given what's already extant).

fair enough

On 1/20/2022 at 1:04 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Seeker really matured as a character in Watchers of the Dragon. A lot of his silliness was subsumed into a mix that somehow worked. Since Steve Long wrote that, it must have broken Don Morgan's heart that Steve didn't carry him over into the new Champions Universe.

So I feel the need to re-post this... 😁

(To the tune of JoDee Messina’s ‘Bye-Bye’)

Bye-Bye Seeker

Boy it sure looked rough

KO’d on all the covers

Sinkin’ in the muck

You could have used a little

Fifth Edition

Combat Luck

All you needed was a little time

Just a little more time

For a new write-up, but Steve’s mind’s made up

Bye-bye, Seeker, don’t you curse

There’s a reboot on the Champions Universe

And a bunch of heroes torn out

And they ain’t never comin’ back

And that’s a fact

I tried all I can imagine

I argued and pleaded in true fanboy fashion

Steve said ‘No dice, the ninja’s gotta take a hike’

Bye-bye, bye-bye Seeker bye-bye

Don’t think that silly grin is gonna keep you in

Like it done before

You better sell that sword

Swing from the chandelier

And land out the door

I don’t know what you’re expected to do

Keep on searchin’ for the truth

Maybe find the final answer

Then become a dancer

And they are really truly gone

Just like you, Don

There are others like Professor Muerte

He sank down in the ocean sayin’

‘Que mala suerte’ **

Steve said ‘No dice, junior D has gotta take a hike’

Bye-bye, bye-bye Seeker bye-bye

Out of the game I guess

Couldn’t pass the test

And I think it’s sad

But it’s Ironclad

And you can count on that

I tried, oh, I tried Mr. Morgan

Said I’d write a source book

Or donate an organ

Bye-bye, bye-bye, my Seeker bye-bye

And that’s a fact

I tried all I can imagine

I said ‘Don’t turn your back on Watchers of the Dragon’

Bye-bye, bye-bye Seeker bye -bye

Bye-bye, bye-bye my Seeker bye-bye.

** (Que mala suerte = What bad luck)

If you want a compromise, just put Seeker on a jet back to Australia.

The canonical Australian characters vary between "meh' and unintentionally racist.

Seriously, I have considered writing Champions Down Under a couple of times and the canonical characters are one of the major problems.

That and governments doing racist things. It's not easy writing a book about a modern society when the society is apparently moving in a different direction.

Fun Thought: Champions of the USA. Somebody should write that. I dare you.

5 hours ago, assault said:

5 hours ago, assault said:

One time I thought off as a protental thing "Enimies Americana". 50 solo villains, one for each state of the union (more than 50 if we include United States holdings like Porta Rico). It is probably the best that I didn't do that, because how badly European Enimies came out.

I'm sure my math would be better that EE, but the villains themselves would be full of stereotypes. Like a mad Chicago cabbie. Or a Wisconsin cheese-kinetic (being able to control cheese with his mind).

4 hours ago, assault said:

I'm supposed to be concentrating on Fantasy at the moment. I could answer your request but it would be a distraction, and I have enough of those.

Not a problem. Not really a request. I’m just curious as to your perception. What would an Australian think of an American? From Pennsylvania? Close to Hershey? If you are working on something else, please work on it. 

On 4/14/2022 at 4:07 PM, assault said:

On 4/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, Ninja-Bear said:

Go ahead and make some. I think it would be interesting to see Americans written up by non Americans. You can PM to me if you like.

I also think this would be an interesting look at things.

Some would be annoyingly campy ("Look! The Vermont Vigilante is here to save the day... with... maple syrup guns?!" <shrug>)

Some would be regional or media-based cliches ("Oh boy. The Texas Ranger is here. I'm sure he'll... side roundhouse the bad guys." <sigh>)

Some, though, would be from-out-of-my-blind-spot fascinating takes on how parts of America is seen.

I'd buy it, if only as a PDF.