Hero Games 2022 Update

Jason S.Walters

11 hours ago, HeroGM said:

Rabid koala ate him. It was aweful. Funeral was nice, crocodile Dundee and Kangaroo jack came. The Irwin's translated for them.

Bah! I always dug Seeker. In my old campaign, he became an agent of UNTIL and served as an advisor to one of the groups.

4 hours ago, Sketchpad said:

Bah! I always dug Seeker. In my old campaign, he became an agent of UNTIL and served as an advisor to one of the groups.

Oh I have no issue with the character personally as it shows the times he was created in. He just needed something that fit him, like Worf.

On 1/12/2022 at 7:59 PM, Guzalot said:

TTS?  That's it?  So all of my players have to pay for TTS just to play in my game. 

Well there is already a very good start to an add-on for TTS which utilizes output from Hero Designer to help run characters on TTS.  Check out this thread and these videos.  As for the cost to your players, TTS often has sales on 4 packs of licenses.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I would use the name "Seeker" for the official Champions Australian hero, Walkabout (Champions Worldwide), after having learned on these forums that that word carries negative connotations.

It's actually a bit mixed, but Walkabout is hopelessly broken and best forgotten.

I'm on a bus right now, so I can't explain it properly, but imagine the worst jumble of Native American/First Nations people you can come up with.

On 1/18/2022 at 4:03 PM, assault said:

Artists liked drawing Seeker, and he had a personality. He HAD to go!

Seriously, though, he's an ideal background/trainer type character for present day heroes.

I'd use him as an excuse for a new crop of Australian heroes, or possibly make him a trainer at the UNITY base at Port Hedland.

Back in the old CU campaign I ran, Seeker quit the Champions and joined UNTIL as a special operative until he retired as a trainer. One of the last characters made for the campaign had been trained by him and would defend him whenever someone tried to bad mouth the former hero. It was great!

Apropos of anniversaries, it's worth noting that, while I couldn't find the exact date, it's now over forty years since the publication of the first edition of Champions.

Ah, what wide-eyed innocents we all were back then, delighting in that simple little game, never imagining what it would grow into. 🤩

On 1/8/2022 at 2:03 PM, HeroGM said:

IMHO 90% would be a rehash of 5th with the changes for 6th, maybe some updates to new tech. I'd rather see something like Long has done for Dark Champions packages/templates and Gun Fu, just the facts and no filler

I would support Kickstarter's for Hero books, provided budget concerns, even if they were just at a PDF level.

As long as it doesn't end up like Fuzion. Great effort by all concerned, just...fizzled and misunderstood.

Well one of the reasons was the physical book wasn't complete.  The copy I got was literally missing entire sections.  The intro mentioned "switches" and "dials". But those terms did not exist in the book in my hands.

Years later I found a different copy that wa actually complete.  My personal belief is that if Fuzion had been published in the internet age it wouldn't have cratered.  The missing information would have been identified rather than just being another "half assed attempt at a game".

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Apropos of anniversaries, it's worth noting that, while I couldn't find the exact date, it's now over forty years since the publication of the first edition of Champions.

My notes on this sort of thing include a reference to a mention in Different Worlds magazine #23 that Champions was debuted at Origins Game Fair 1981.  This was held July 3-5, 1981 in San Mateo, California.

I always liked Seeker. Sure he kinda was nicknamed Crocodile Bruce Lee, but there litterly was nobody else like him. Well, in comics anyways.

That is why Professor Robert Steriaca has his Seeker Missiles. 

On 1/12/2022 at 6:49 PM, shadowcat1313 said:

Vehicle Martial Arts.hmmm

does a 50 megton tacnuke count as an Offensive Strike?

Was thinking of PIT Manuvers and getting your car to dodge things (FMove Push/Shove, FMove Dodge, FMove v/6 Strike to sideswipe people and cars...).

3 hours ago, Spence said:

Well one of the reasons was the physical book wasn't complete.  The copy I got was literally missing entire sections.  The intro mentioned "switches" and "dials". But those terms did not exist in the book in my hands.

Years later I found a different copy that wa actually complete.  My personal belief is that if Fuzion had been published in the internet age it wouldn't have cratered.  The missing information would have been identified rather than just being another "half assed attempt at a game".

Oh......    I will have to check my copy.. I recieved one, but I don't think I ever opened it...

6 hours ago, Spence said:

I I recall correctly the outrage was 5th Ed was promised and this wasn’t true Champions but a hybrid. I don’t think the Internet would’ve helped it.

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I I recall correctly the outrage was 5th Ed was promised and this wasn’t true Champions but a hybrid. I don’t think the Internet would’ve helped it.

I seem to remember something about that.  But I can clearly remember among the gamers in my area the big thing was the game was incomplete.

Physically. 

You actually could not play.  At all.

You could not actually make a character.  At all.

Take Champions Complete.  Cut the binding, remove pages 42 to 129.  Throw them away and rebind what is left. Sell. 

And there you have what happened with Fuzion. 

I can remember several games from board games to RPGs to wargames that were put out in the late 90's that were unplayable because they were simply incomplete. 

For Fuzion we would hear people talking as if they had played the game and we always thought they were lying because we could open the rulebook and there was no actual way to make a character.  

I personally believe that it would have had more of a chance if there had been a way to communicate directly with the publisher in real time.

Having gotten all three of the NM books, I was deeply frustrated by the seeming randomness of their organization. Key pieces of information, not only for the system but for the NM setting, were haphazardly scattered across all three books, without apparent rhyme or reason. Any sort of index was also totally absent, in marked contrast to DOJ's 5E-6E books. Finding everything you'd need or want to know about a given topic was time-consuming and laborious.

EDIT: BTW the New Millennium books are on sale in PDF on the Hero website store, under "Hero System Fourth Edition - Champions," for very reasonable prices. The searchability of a PDF significantly offsets the organization issues I raised above.

There are also free Hero Fourth Edition character sheets for all the NPCs from the New Millennium books, making them more accessible to Hero players: https://www.herogames.com/files/file/382-champions-new-millennium-hero-system-character-sheets/

Thankfully I never wasted money on CNM. The blurb text was enough to put me off.

That and the nonsensical version of Seeker it presented.

I've subsequently come to terms with the idea of Seeker as a homage to the Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter. That works. No really.

But that's an interpretation of the inept Liefeldian garbage presented in the book.