Hero Games 2022 Update

Jason S.Walters

12 hours ago, Terminax said:

Champions Begins, while I appreciate the concept and admire the hard work put into it's not for me. I hope it goes well, I do but I'd kill to see more support that goes beyond a basic entry-level point.

While I, and I suspect most who frequent the Board, agree, more support requires sales to make that support viable.  More gamers using Hero/Champions creates more potential buyers of other materials.  How fast is the Hero player base currently growing?  What do we do to siphon off some of those new RPGers attracted to d20 into the Hero fold? 

Personally, I am thinking that the Chimera project is not a wise expenditure of funds, when what Champions, or any of the sub rules need is something "big", that has almost a campaign sized adventure, a spray of adventure seeds, and a stack of written up villains, and monsters, for the adventure. Duke Bushido had something like this with an adventure  in one of the threads here.  What needs to be done is to produce more adventures with villains, and equipment.  We can't assume that all the GMs are Home Brewers like they have in the past. Because it's in the past, it's not in the way GMs do things now.

I hope it goes well, I do but I'd kill to see more support that goes beyond a basic entry-level point.

I believe that the followup to Champions Begins should be a bone stock basic Champions adventure campaign.  Simple base, simple NPCs, simple adventure arc with lots of ideas and options to customize.  Like "Dr Destroyer has an island somewhere, he's building up power to attack the world and the PCs slowly uncover the plot as they do other adventures along the way"  6-10 adventures with a bunch of adventure prompts for things like "love interest in peril" and "secret identity might be discovered".  You know, the Superhero classics.

Again, like Western Hero, if you're introducing people to the genre and the game, you don't need to remake the mold, just give people a chance to play the comic books and movies themselves.  You can get wild and creative after that.

35 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I hope it goes well, I do but I'd kill to see more support that goes beyond a basic entry-level point.

I believe that the followup to Champions Begins should be a bone stock basic Champions adventure campaign.  Simple base, simple NPCs, simple adventure arc with lots of ideas and options to customize.  Like "Dr Destroyer has an island somewhere, he's building up power to attack the world and the PCs slowly uncover the plot as they do other adventures along the way"  6-10 adventures with a bunch of adventure prompts for things like "love interest in peril" and "secret identity might be discovered".  You know, the Superhero classics.

Again, like Western Hero, if you're introducing people to the genre and the game, you don't need to remake the mold, just give people a chance to play the comic books and movies themselves.  You can get wild and creative after that.

I'd like to see a return of the 2-4th thin style modules. You can run in a night or two with hooks to add on later.

A Book of Champions would be interesting, detailing the teams over the years similar to Book of.. Destroyer and Mechanon. While Seeker could be left out (wgmhistles innocently) seeing the others updated for the 2k+ era would be nice. Also a revisit to Champions 3K.

If all the old Champions modules were updated to 6th and modern day, a campaign book could just reference them and string them together with a story ala Pathfinder but that's not really a viable approach as things stand right now.

I don't mind the short module concept, but I think what is needed more right now is a full campaign to give new players and GMs something to immediately launch with.

1 hour ago, HeroGM said:

A Book of Champions would be interesting, detailing the teams over the years similar to Book of.. Destroyer and Mechanon. While Seeker could be left out (whistles innocently) seeing the others updated for the 2k+ era would be nice. Also a revisit to Champions 3K.

I think a lot of that could be incorporated into a new Champions Universe: News Of The World. A general update as to what's occurred in the setting over the last 10-15 years. It wouldn't even have to have character stats, just a summary of events, changes in the world's power structures, who's dead or retired, who's new on the scene, etc. We've gotten a few hints in books published since the first NOTW came out, but they're nowhere close to comprehensive.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If all the old Champions modules were updated to 6th and modern day, a campaign book could just reference them and string them together with a story ala Pathfinder but that's not really a viable approach as things stand right now.

I don't mind the short module concept, but I think what is needed more right now is a full campaign to give new players and GMs something to immediately launch with.

I believe that's what the 5E Champions Battlegrounds book was intended to present -- a group of adventures which could be run separately, but which also had an overarching plot to tie them together if a GM wanted it.

Rather than the 4E and earlier adventures, it would probably be easier to update the Champions adventures presented in Digital Hero to 6E, and collect the majority of them (there were fourteen in total) into a single volume. They have the advantage of being ready to run, already having written up NPCs, and optional PC heroes in several cases, with artwork, plus most of them include maps.

DH also has seven Star Hero adventures, three for Fantasy, and a couple for other genres.

DH Adventures .doc

My comment was that format, not necessarily updating the adventures themselves. And with Hero's current state I doubt we'll see what a lot of 4th offered us in the format it did.  To me.anything needs to be self contained, not saying "well you brought this, now go on a treasure hunt for a book we haven't published in 20+ years".

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think a lot of that could be incorporated into a new Champions Universe: News Of The World. A general update as to what's occurred in the setting over the last 10-15 years. It wouldn't even have to have character stats, just a summary of events, changes in the world's power structures, who's dead or retired, who's new on the scene, etc. We've gotten a few hints in books published since the first NOTW came out, but they're nowhere close to comprehensive.

I think a book like that is really in the wrong direction. Obviously some people like what the official Champions Universe is doing which is fine. I think vehicles 6th has a bigger draw (and use) than NOTW.

13 hours ago, Guzalot said:

Are there any plans to make the HERO rules available for virtual table tops?

There has been some work on a Roll20 Hero sheet at this thread...

7 hours ago, HeroGM said:

I'd like to see a return of the 2-4th thin style modules. You can run in a night or two with hooks to add on later.

A Book of Champions would be interesting, detailing the teams over the years similar to Book of.. Destroyer and Mechanon. While Seeker could be left out (wgmhistles innocently) seeing the others updated for the 2k+ era would be nice. Also a revisit to Champions 3K.

I kind of like the idea of updating some of the old books in maybe a Classic Champions line. A "Champions Roster" book would be cool as well... though why not have Seeker in it?