Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

44 minutes ago, Starlord said:

More likely, genius who has been told he's a genius one too many times and no longer believes he can make mistakes.  With a side order of the same disease that currently infects at least a third of the 1st world - socialmediaitis.  The idea that social media exacerbates and overcharges the worst aspects of our personalities.

34 minutes ago, L. Marcus said:

Impossible, for my part. I don't have a personality.

I took a personality test online a few weeks ago. it came back negative. 

Measles? Been there, done that. We had an outbreak in my school my first (or maybe second) year as a teacher. Patient Zero was in my 4th period class. He brought it back from Poland when he and his unvaccinated family went to pick up his big sister at the end of her mission. We had an emergency meeting after school. Anyone who couldn't produce proof of vaccination couldn't return to work for two weeks. I spent an hour and a half on the phone with my childhood doctor's office in Colorado, who finally found a note that I had been vaccinated in 1989 in a file box in their basement. For several days, I was the only teacher in my wing who wasn't a substitute.

Stupid then, stupid now. 

:think:  I've never been vaccinated for measles ... because I had a case of the disease when I was in kindergarten, a few years before the vaccine was developed.  (My family doctor at the time stared at me when I first told her that.  Then I told her the same -- with some variation in dates extending to when I was in 3rd grade -- was true for chicken pox, rubella, and mumps.)  No way of documenting any of that, of course; at least in my state, there is or was a birth-year exemption that I qualified for on the vaccination requirement.

29 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

It's amazing to me people will say that a job that loses 80% (?) of its workforce is just snowflakes quitting because the job got too tough.

CES  

The first 50% were just outright fired, apparently at random.  75% of the remainder are the "snowflakes" who opted to quit rather than work double the hours for the same pay.  From what I'm reading, numerous critical teams are entirely gone, including the entire payroll department.

30 minutes ago, csyphrett said:

It's amazing to me people will say that a job that loses 80% (?) of its workforce is just snowflakes quitting because the job got too tough.

CES  

The question becomes, what people are saying this?

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/18/twitter-planned-to-close-offices-friday-but-musk-asks-engineers-in.html

If you're still working for Twitter, it's like you're in a rowboat, caught in a whirlpool, while the hurricane approaches.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

The first 50% were just outright fired, apparently at random.  75% of the remainder are the "snowflakes" who opted to quit rather than work double the hours for the same pay.  From what I'm reading, numerous critical teams are entirely gone, including the entire payroll department.

More or less what I've seen.  Security and content monitoring also more or less gone.  It's hard to say what the actual situation is, as it's changing.  From NYT about an hour ago:

Some internal estimates showed that at least 1,200 full-time employees resigned on Thursday, three people close to the company said. Twitter had 7,500 full-time employees at the end of October, which dropped to about 3,700 after mass layoffs earlier this month.

But beyond the numbers, it's also who's leaving.  Opening para from a letter/editorial in NYT just now:

Earlier this month, I chose to leave my position leading trust and safety at Elon Musk’s Twitter.

As the company’s head of policy, my teams were responsible for drafting Twitter’s rules and figuring out how to apply them consistently to hundreds of millions of tweets per day. In my more than seven years at the company, we exposed government-backed troll farms meddling in elections, introduced new tools for contextualizing dangerous misinformation and, yes, banned President Trump from the service. The Cornell professor Tarleton Gillespie called teams like mine the “custodians of the internet.” The work of online sanitation is unrelenting and contentious.

Bold mine.  That's either a corporate vice president, or someone directly reporting to said, I would think.  These are the big-picture people.  Musk's actions try to retain people who might know something about small parts.

It seems more likely than not, that Twitter is going to suffer a severe disruption/extended downtime next week, with so many home for Thanksgiving...one would think it'd be a busy time.

19 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The question becomes, what people are saying this?

I was reading the comments on the posted twitter link. There were several with very Republican like comments like now they have to get a real job, snowflakes melt with such a cushy job, it'll be hard to get another job,quitters, things like that. I was thinking I have been in these people's shoes. I know what it's like to go from a staff of 25 to 9 and have deal with it. I don't blame them for leaving.

CES 

19 hours ago, Cygnia said:

She committed ongoing fraud where she bilked people out of money for a contraption that didn't work. I feel bad for her kids, but she got what she deserved. House arrest for that would have been laughable.

CES 

I grasp it intellectually, although I can't emotionally. Someone full of hatred, insecurity and fear, likely whipped up by provocative extremist associates, literature, social and commercial media, etc. I think this particular breed will die off eventually, though. American society is trending away from such reactionary bigotry. But it's unlikely to be gone any time soon.