Wizards of the Coast Announces One D&D

Scott Ruggels

I don't think that's a good idea, with Tencent, being ye another arm of the Chinese Communist Party. On the plus side SOcial JUstice will be removed from the property, but on the other it will be nerfed to cater to Chinese sensibilities. But since having shifted the weekend games over to Pathfinder 2 I won't miss anything.

The biggest problem I have with selling to Tencent is not where they are located. It has more to do with the nature of the company. Every thing they have done and are doing is centered around computers. If they get hold of dnd, then it will loose all physical components and become another computer game only. We already have several of these with bg series among other. We don't need dnd itself to become the same. 

Unfortunately, Hasbro is pretty desperate for cash right now after several quarters of losses, so I think a sale is very likely. Getting a billion or so dollars would prop them up for a good while and paper over their failings.

Uh--

Let'a remember I never liked DnD enough to move beyond 3e, so when I say "I dont play DnD," it is specifically 3e and newer that I am talking about, in spite if not havibg (or wanted to play) any other edition for decades.

So, without attempting to discuss the pros and cons of its presence in DnD, would someone be kind enough to guve me a couple of examples of social justice as it appears in DnD, because I seem to have just entirely missed it....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2024 at 5:48 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Uh--

Let'a remember I never liked DnD enough to move beyond 3e, so when I say "I dont play DnD," it is specifically 3e and newer that I am talking about, in spite if not havibg (or wanted to play) any other edition for decades.

So, without attempting to discuss the pros and cons of its presence in DnD, would someone be kind enough to guve me a couple of examples of social justice as it appears in DnD, because I seem to have just entirely missed it....

Not so much Social Justice but Wokeness. As an example, inherently evil monster races have been pretty much removed from Pathfinder 2. Especially glaring was the goblins , who were despicable little rapists and torturers, were added as a PC race. You are supposed to believe that X years of lore was accomplished by "bad" goblins but any new PC's and NPC's were good acceptable citizens. 

2 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Not so much Social Justice but Wokeness. As an example, inherently evil monster races have been pretty much removed from Pathfinder 2. Especially glaring was the goblins , who were despicable little rapists and torturers, were added as a PC race. You are supposed to believe that X years of lore was accomplished by "bad" goblins but any new PC's and NPC's were good acceptable citizens. 

For a hobby that's been in media crosshairs since the beginning, I can't really fault whatever entity owns D&D for doing what they have to do to ward off the lawyers.  Filing the serial numbers off demons and devils hardly hurt the game, and dispensing with alignment is actually a huge improvement.  I can see how it might be problematic to be perceived as teaching kids that any given humanoid subspecies is fundamentally evil.  That idea could cause serious trouble if extrapolated to, like, reality.

Of course then we may or may not have to wrestle with the morality of killing sapient beings in a game where the entire point is to kill things with swords.  I generally avoid this in my campaign setting by depriving the bad guys of free will and small offspring.  Conversely my most recent 5e GM, with whom I have gamed off and on for thirty years, loves to pose ethical dilemmas to his players.  Sometimes it's interesting, sometimes I just wanna murderhobo.  Mileage varies.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/11/2024 at 8:48 PM, Old Man said:

For a hobby that's been in media crosshairs since the beginning, I can't really fault whatever entity owns D&D for doing what they have to do to ward off the lawyers.  Filing the serial numbers off demons and devils hardly hurt the game, and dispensing with alignment is actually a huge improvement.  I can see how it might be problematic to be perceived as teaching kids that any given humanoid subspecies is fundamentally evil.  That idea could cause serious trouble if extrapolated to, like, reality.

It is not up to entertainment - and one based around entirely fictional realms, to boot - to coddle the impressionable and educate the ignorant; that is why parents and schools exist. Escapism makes for poor tuition. A person who cannot differentiate between goblins and real-life breathing and bleeding human beings is saddled with a problem that goes beyond the scope of a rectangular piece of wood adorned with countless Cheeto stains.

From attempting to placate the fundamentally religious to quelling the fundamentally sensitive, D&D kowtowing has never been a net positive.

The bottom line is that you cannot expect a corporate entity to behave in a principled fashion; genuine integrity is only ever a welcome bonus. Invariably, they will pursue that which is popular...that which is profitable. If insanity is en vogue, then do not be surprised if they start donning straitjackets as a sign of faux-solidarity.

On 3/20/2024 at 4:16 PM, Ragitsu said:

The bottom line is that you cannot expect a corporate entity to behave in a principled fashion; genuine integrity is only ever a welcome bonus. Invariably, they will pursue that which is popular...that which is profitable. If insanity is en vogue, then do not be surprised if they start donning straitjackets as a sign of faux-solidarity.

I can't top that. Well explained.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wizards of the Coast president Cynthia Williams departs D&D and Magic: The Gathering's maker

An SEC filing confirms that Hasbro is searching “both internal and external” for her replacement

https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/wizards-of-the-coast/news/cynthia-williams-wizards-of-the-coast-president-steps-down-sec-filing