Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From last night's D&D game:

Player, OOC, looking at his notes on his character sheet: "Oh, that says 'Bandage', not Bondage!"

- - - - - - - - - - -

Faced with either swimming along a 12' deep water trench or magically draining it so we could walk the trench then climb out at the end:

Same player: "I'd rather swim. Climbing kicks our ass!"

- - - - - - - - - - -

Our sticky-fingered rogue leaves her pack behind to swim along the trench and check out what's ahead. As soon as she hits the water:

Three other players, practically in unison: "I go to her pack and make a Search roll!"

A couple from my old gaming group:

OOC: "A 13? That's a shot to the tender vittles, isn't it?"

After this comment, hit location 13 became known as the tender vittles.

Evil Baddy: "Join me. You have no choice. It is your density."

Player 1 (OOC): "Isn't that supposed to be destiny?"

Player 2 (OOC): "Consider who he's talking to."

Player 1 (OOC): "Oh, right."

Player 3 (OOC): "Hey!"

(Characters are taking on four villainous bricks simultaneously, including the infamous Grond. My character, Deuce, the only real normal in the group, gets punched by Grond, but miraculously is only KO'd with minimal BODY loss. Thank Bog for a solid Breakfall roll; I spun in place rather than flying. Deuce actually led Grond on a merry chase for a while. Grond ended up punching an armored wall once.)

Grimble (GM): Wow, you will probably wind up in the "Enquirer" with that one: "I Survived Grond's Punch."

Me: More like the "Weekly World News."

Metal Master: Yeah, the National Inquirer would be more like "I Survived Grond Hitting On Me."

(Later, with my character dragged off to safety, and all four mega-mooks knocked out and Entangled, most of the good guys are locked into the room with the unconscious bricks - and a huge blockbuster type bomb. My character has the highest Demolitions in the group, but he's too busy taking the one-hour Recovery in the PentaJet "Autodoc". Fortunately, our Predator mentalist also Demolitions pretty well, so she starts with the clock winding down from sixty seconds to defuse the bomb.)

Righteous Fury: "I grab one of the nasties and throw him on top of the bomb."

Victoria: "Splendid idea! Let them take the blast first!"

Sparkler: "I do the same, with another one of them."

Brick: "I grab Grond and throw him on the bomb."

Outfox: "Would that make this location Grond Zero?"

Later, Brick thinks that if Hunting Spectre (our Predator) does not successfully defuse the bomb, the rest of the party can take cover behind Grond like a wall of sandbags...

(Fortunately, Brick and Metal Master manage to break MM into the room, and between his conversion of the bomb's electronics to high-resistance titanium, and the Pred's skillful defusing, we live to fight another day...)

Quite a few from this weekend's Genghis Con games...

----------

From my Arabian Adventures FH game:

Referring to Yuzeed the Bull ("The Strongest Man in the World"), who wanted to attack a room full of giant cyclopes:

Rasha the Storyteller: "Yuzeed is a brave man. He is a good man. But he is not a subtle man."

One character wanted to use one of his magical powers to shrink down to mouse size and sneak up behind one of the cyclopes. Mutamin (the Wisest man in the world) counselled against this course of action:

Mutamin: "There is a story the ancient scholars tell about just such a tactic. It is called "Bambi vs. Godzilla"."

----------

From my Teen Titans Go! game:

Speedy and Robin have a rivalry going. In the big fight against a room full of robots, Robin is doing OK, but Speedy has been plagued by a series of bad rolls.

Me (GM): OK, Speedy, you're ducking and dodging around the robots' lasers, but your arrows seem to be useless against them.

Robin: Geez Speedy, you know you're doing bad when the Narrator is putting you down!

----------

From Bigdamnhero's Pulp Friends game:

Monica throws a knife at the bad guy and stabs him in the leg.

Monica: So he'll have a little battle scar. He should be happy. Now he'll look like a real man.

My character, Joey, isn't too bright. I put my nametag on upside down and someone points this out:

Chandler: Hey Joey, your nametag is upside down.

Me: (Looking down at my chest; from my POV, the nametag looks just fine) No it ain't!

And a general observation during the game. Two of the players hadn't played Hero before. They were maybe around 16-17 years old. Whenever one of them succeeded on a skill roll, they would announce, "I win by six!" (rather than the usual "I succeed by six" or "I make it by six"). :lol:

----------

From the Mutants & Masterminds game I played in:

Ultraman (Captain Marvel clone) has a crush on Angel (Wonder Woman clone) and vice versa, but Ultraman is too shy/inexperienced to do anything about it. During the big fight, Ultraman is KO'd:

GM: Ultraman goes down!

Me: The three words that Angel has always longed to hear.

----------

From the Call of Cthulhu game I played in:

A little background first. In the small town of New Iberia, LA, an oil rig drilled too deep and punctured the ceiling of a salt mine. The water from the lake drained into the salt mine, dissolving all the salt and causing a catastrophic collapse which resulted in a salty lake over 1200 feet deep. The characters were investigators from the oil company, the salt mine, and the government all assigned to find out what happened... except me -- I was a local cajun hired by the suits as a guide.

Early in the game, the suits were arguing about who was at fault. The oil company guy said their calculations were very precise. The drilling rep said their calculations were also precise, and so on. Finally, in frustration:

Me: Well, somebody messed up they math.

We find a dead body:

Me: Quick! Call CSI: New Iberia!

The suits want to go out on the lake in a boat:

Texaco Guy: Is it safe?

Me: Gub'mint says so.

We're all locked in a tiny shack. A monster is trying to get through the door, so we're all trying to break a hole in the back of the wall to get out. Most of us are armed, but bullets don't seem to stop the monster. One of the suits pulls off her shoe so she can pound on the wall with it:

Me: Just like a lawyer, bringing a Prada to a gunfight.

In Sunday's game, the players fought a war with dragon allies, thanks to good interactions with them in the past. They're trying to come up with thinking-outside-the-box ways to get to the castle in the middle of the capital city, and Father Danaecus proposes that Lina climb into the earth dragon's mouth so he can tunnel her there.

The dragon says, "You know, my saliva burns through cloth."

Father D (OOC): "That would make an interesting approach."

Lina (OOC): "No more naked Lina!"

------------------------------------------

Later, the party is advancing with their dragon ally. The dragon has just squeezed a soldier into a bloody goo, and the soldiers facing them are rethinking their position.

Father D. word-blurbs on a PRE attack, "Let's paint the halls red with their blood!"

The dragon shrugs and replies, "If you insist."

----------------------------------------------

After Father D. has just walked up to people shooting arrows at him, none of which got past his magical armor, he remembers that he's seen Rastal bat arrows out of the air.

He growls, "Let's let the guy with the f***ing missile deflection take care of the f***ing arrows!"

Rastal regards him calmly. "What? You wanted to go up front!"

----------------------------------------------------------------

After a particularly effective attack, Rastal's player announces, "Cleanup on aisle 4!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, after things have settled down, the party talks about things Lina knows from her husband (the newly-crowned King) from "our time in bed together."

Rastal's player effects a feminine tone, and calls out, "You are the Messiah!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And even later, the party is looking for a new bard, and their retiring bard refers them to the two best he knows. The first, he says, has a womanizing streak, but is most talented. The second is shy, but also good.

Lina declares that they'll determine this fairly. "We will ask for a demonstration from both . . ."

Father D. cuts her off with, "What kind of demonstration?"

----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, adding chocolate and ice cream cake to the game seem to have yielded some interesting results.

Darkstar *Opening a portal*: The portals open! Jump through the hoop!

Objx *Creates a fez, and a ruff collar for herself, puts them on, and jumps*: Arf! Arf!

--------------------------------

Player 1: That sounds like "railroadong" to me.

Player 2: Whats "railroading".

Player 1: Thats when, no matter what your Characters do, the GM forces the plot along a single course. Like its on rails.

Player 2: Ive been in games like that. Sometimes its really obvious.

Player 3: Sometimes it isnt though.

Player 1: True. Some GMs are realy good about not letting you see them do that.

Player 3: Thats called "Underground Railroading"! :D

-----------------------------------

GM: The villain, THRONE, is in an incredibly impressive costume. Huge shoulder plates, flowing cape, lots of chains and spikes. The works.

Objx (OOC): I use my power to transform things. Now he's in boxer shorts. Bright blue boxer shorts, with bunnies and duckies! :D

Throne: AAAAARRRRRGH!! >_<

-------------------------------------

GM: The Council sends a Delphian courier to guide you. As you know, Delphians are short and lemon-colored, with small antennae.

Player 1: How does he act?

GM: Hes a diplomat, so hes a little obsequious, and a bit arrogant.

Player 2: All right. We follow the yellow pr*ck toad!

In my D+D game this tuesday night, the following situation took place.

Having captured the minion of one of their adversaries, one of the PC's drags him bodily from the dinghy he is standing in in the sewers after a nasty fight in the mulch occurred. Not thinking too clearly, and down to his last few hit points, he takes his captured adversary through the sewers to the nearest exit point in the middle of the day. He's been poisoned, he's weak, and he's covered in dung and sewage.

The PC climbs out with his unconscious burden, also covered in sewage and dung, and begins heading out, into the middle of the market district at one of the busiest times of day. He is accosted by a local sewer cleaners guild member, who is offended by his violation of guild membership laws.

Sewer Cleaner's Guildman: Hey! What's that you've got there? Have you been cleaning in the sewers without a permit?

PC: No, I've just been rummaging around the sewers chasing this man who tried to kill me!

Guildman: A likely story. You're in violation of guild membership laws! I'm calling the watch! (Raises a hue and a cry.)

Keep in mind, all this is going on in the merchant district during the busiest time of day while he and his heavy burden are both covered in dung.

The watch arrives.

Watchman: What's going on here?

Guildman: He's in violation of the sewer cleaners statutes. See, there's his burden right there!

PC: This man tried to kill me, sir! And I didn't CLEAN him, I captured him!

Watchman: Right, we'll get this all settled down at the watchpost! Currently, you are being charged with violation of guild statutes, as well as the spreading of filth in the mercantile district.

PC: Yes! Arrest me! It's got to be better than this! Can you clean me off?

Later, as the watch tries to contact the other PC's...

Watchman: There's a man we've got in a cell nearby, he says he knows you.

PCs (In unison): What did he do NOW?

Watchman: Well, he's currently charged with violation of the guild membership statutes and spreading of filth in the mercantile district!

PC Half-dragon: These are misdemeanors, right? Here! (Pays fines on the spot) He's guilty! He pleads guilty! Just get him OUT, please?

Unfortunately, I didn’t take very good quote notes during my games at GenghisCon, but here are a couple others from The Bunny’s excellent Arabian Adventures FH game:

We rescue a lone survivor from a shipwreck. In his hand, he’s clutching a valuable locket, which turns out to be an important clue. Unfortunately, the first person to check the survivor’s body is Jamil the Swift, the World’s Greatest Thief, and he pockets the locket before any of the other PCs see it. Later, as we question the survivor, he laments the loss of the necklace which “must’ve slipped from his fingers.”

Me: (OOC, to GM) “Mutamin does the math.” (in character, turns to another PC) “Would you be so good as to find Jamil for me?”

Qabil the Tattooed is a powerful sorcerer. But he also has a Psych Lim: “Sees omens in everything.” So the player keeps randomly announcing that “We must go west” and so forth. To get the real answer, Mutamin the Astrologer consults the stars (aka Precognitive Clairsentience).

Rasha the Lovely: “Which direction must we go?”

Mutamin: (pause, then through clenched teeth) “Captain, set sail due West.”

Qabil walks off muttering: “I said West. But does anyone listen to me? No…”

Lather, rinse and repeat several times. :D

Mutamin the Wise offers Rasha the Lovely, the most beautiful woman in the world, a ride on his flying carpet.

(Cue juvenile snickering.) ;)

GM: “Okay, it’s kinda small so she’ll have to sit on your lap.”

Qabil: (OOC) “Hey, no fair!”

Mutamin: (OOC) “That’s why they call me Mutamin the Wise. Are any of you getting a lap dance? Old age and guile, my friends...”

Can’t remember who delivered this one. We’re trying to get a rare crystal from a group of brutal Cyclopes that we’d rather not have to fight. Arriving at the Isle of the Cyclopes, the PCs start loading up the ship’s stores as a gift to attempt to barter with the Cyclopes:

Player 1: “What’s the Cyclopes’ favorite food?”

GM: “Sailors.”

Player 2: (conversationally, to NPC) “Captain, what’s the minimum number of men you need to sail this ship?”

And my personal favorite: the Cyclopes agree to sell us the crystal if we can pass their challenge. They present an enormous rock, which we must split in half with a single blow. Yuzeed the Bull easily does so (with a little help from Mutamin’s Find Weakness). Frustrated, but honor-bound, the Cyclopes let us take the crystal and depart. As we’re walking back down the mountainside:

Yuzeed: “Those Cyclopes seem like nice guys!”

From last week's Valentine's Day (Massacre) Teen Champions game ...

My PC leaves a valentine for a snotty (fellow) cheerleader she doesn't like, and invites the other two PCs to hang out in the lounge near her room, because "There'll be a floor show."

The snotty one enters her room, and I start a countdown. "Five ... Four ... Three ... Two ... One ..."

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK! Ew ew ew ew GROSS!"

Chance: "What'd you give her?"

Quantum: "A chocolate-shaped box of hearts."

Chance: "Rowen, we need backup, fast. Quantum has an idea, I repeat, QUANTUM HAS AN IDEA!"

From my XCrawl game:

Background: Players are encouraged to come up with special attacks that would look cool on their televised dungeon crawls.

Radiance (female Monk/Paladin): "I'm combining my Stunning Fist ability from my Monk class with my Smite Evil ability from my Paladin class."

GM (Me): "Sounds cool. What are you going to call this special attack?"

Radiance: "The Radiant Sun Slap."

It's proven to be quite effective, and the description sounds cool visually when she lights up her fists in preparation to do it.

Reminds me of an XCrawl moment I once had.

Scenerio: I had just joined a group that had a sword-weilding Glory hound. We were fighting a dragon, and I had missed an attack against that dragon.

Announcer: Aw, no love...

Halfling: My sword's giving me plenty of love.

Me (right away without thinking): Yeah, yeah, stroke that thing...

The group was in a conniption of laughter as a result.

Our group is facing Black Harlequin, and he has an anti-matter bomb. We're discussing how we should have handled the encounter, and the idea that comes up is that our creepy mentalist should have used her VPP to transform the anti-matter in the bomb into normal matter.

GM: "Into what, like, crayons?"

Player 1: "What would Black Harlequin say when he cracked open the bomb?"

Player 2: "Wait, this bomb is full of crayons! I know I'm crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy!"

This was from a few weeks ago, during a fight with some VIPER agents. Grav, the gravity controlling martial artist, disarms the leader's sonic rifle with his telekinesis. She pulled out a sidearm and shot Grav.

Me: "What sort of sidearm?"

GM: "It's a gun. It looks decidedly less science fictiony than the sonic rifle."

Me: "So, it's just a normal gun? Is she going to get Dark Champions on his ass?"

From a Champions game few weeks ago:

Grav, my character, is notable for two things: dodging and stealing villains' Foci with telekinesis. While fighting a VIPER team, he'd been hit once by the leader's sonic cannon, so he stole it. The GM consulted his notes and...

GM: "She pulls out her 9mm pistol and shoots you. With, oh God, armour-piercing, Teflon-tipped, cop-killer bullets."

On her next phase, the GM was deciding what to do.

PC (Grav, me): "She could shoot me again."

GM: "Double tap to the back of the head."

PC (Dreadnought): "She's gonna get Dark Champions on your ass!"

Our group is facing Black Harlequin, and he has an anti-matter bomb. We're discussing how we should have handled the encounter, and the idea that comes up is that our creepy mentalist should have used her VPP to transform the anti-matter in the bomb into normal matter.

GM: "Into what, like, crayons?"

Player 1: "What would Black Harlequin say when he cracked open the bomb?"

Player 2: "Wait, this bomb is full of crayons! I know I'm crazy, but I'm not THAT crazy!"

I dunno... speaking as the guy who wrote the "Fatal Attractions" scenario in Champions Battlegrounds, I have to think maybe he is that crazy. :hex:

A friend was telling me of her World's Largest Dungeon campaign the other day. In it she was letting people cycle through characters. An old friend they had been wanting to game with again for a long time -finally- got a chance to game with them again, and he decided (being the kind of guy he is) to make a Druid for a campaign taking place underground in a stone dungeon.

So the PC party encounters this Druid, who looks shabby and pasty and a bit...wild-eyed.

PC Leader: So...um...how long have you been down here?

Druid: TEN YEARS!!

PC #2: Did you have an animal companion?

Druid: *a bit teary-eyed* ...Boots.

PC Leader: His name was "Boots"?

Druid: *looks up* ....Yeah...yeah....lets go with that, for now.

Our group is facing Black Harlequin' date=' and he has an anti-matter bomb. We're discussing how we should have handled the encounter, and the idea that comes up is that our creepy mentalist should have used her VPP to transform the anti-matter in the bomb into normal matter.[/quote']

I was in a text Superheroes rpg a while back. One of the heroes had the powers of one of her long-running D&D characters (yeah, I know.) Someone tried to drop a nuclear bomb on us and she used "metal-to-wood" on it, leaving my character baffled as to why someone had created a lovingly accurate wooden replica of a bomb...