Who is your campaigns "Bad Guy they love to hate"

Herolover

Hello all.

I am wondering of you who have ran Champions campaigns and of you that are currently running champions campaigns who do you have installed as the "Bad Guy they love to hate."

I define this as a villian that the players could possibly beat, but seem to have a hard time actually doing it. The villian always gets away and the players love to hate him (even though they won't admit it.) Someone like Darth Vader in Star Wars, Magneto to the X-Men, etc. Who are you using for this role and why?

Re: Who is your campaigns "Bad Guy they love to hate"

In my last two Champions campaigns I used Dr. Destroyer as the recurring "mega-villain whose plot is foiled but whose master plan is even closer to fruition". That's what he was there for, after all.

The one I'm using for the upcoming PBEM - well, he's a home brewed baddie.

Zeppelin.

He was a mega brick in comparison to my mega brick and he wiped the floor with us routinely.

Then one day I critted him (rolled a 3 on to hit roll (house rule) and got max damage.

I was a 120 STR brick at the time.

It was the most satisfying fictional punch I have ever thrown. :D

Hello all.

I am wondering of you who have ran Champions campaigns and of you that are currently running champions campaigns who do you have installed as the "Bad Guy they love to hate."

Champions - The Sinister Samurai, VIPER Nest Leader in Vancouver, killer of Bohdi Li (Warchild), and honourable villain. As a GM I was always careful with this character to make sure he was played smart and honourable. He even helped them against Alien Dimensional Invaders and Dr. Destroyer.

Star Hero - Chantos, Pirate who made fools of them, some how always managed to escape, and was the main force of all their bad luck. Keeping him alive took a lot of fast role playing. They loved to hate, but for some reason never killed him.

Fantasy Hero - Hrothgar, a Bounty Hunter working for a Nobleman. Always seen in the background with his Thugs and Allies. Drove them nuts, but always dealt with them honourably. Love to taunt them when he captured.

That's all for know.

QM

It'd probably be Mechassassin. He's the ultimate professional. For my superteam he is sorta like Taskmaster was to the Avengers. He always has a Plan B, Plan C, and even a Plan D. He just can't be caught.

Dr. Ray Gun

With his Ray-bots, force field belt, and floating ( now flying ) mechanical island base, and weapons of mass destruction. ( And of course for his personal Ray gun with a 'Trans-Neuro-Deconnective Transmission Ray' setting aka Entangle BOECV. )

They could only ever encounter him in his bases, as it was only ever his robots he sent out.

And up until their last encounter, he always had a Hyper-bio-matter modulator-demodulator frenquency array ( teleporter ) set up that he could trigger ( along with a self-destruct for his base ) before being KO'd.

During their last encounter he got seperated from his controls and received a pushed-haymaker from the power-armor brick from behind while he was trying to deal with the Mystic wrecking havoc on his precious equipment.

in my game its Papa Grey (the heroes don't know his real name)

Papa Grey sends minions, soldiers, mind-controlled lackeys;

UFOs and the kitchen sink at them.

grey.jpg

Papa Grey has Mental Attack, Stealth, Invisibility, and Mind Control

but his most annoying power is Ex-Dim Move: Time-Hopping.

I used to use Commodore from Strike Force a lot. He succumbed to the Blood insanity, spectacularly destroyed his marriage to Lorelei and began stalking various members of my team Shockwave. Nimble teleporters with vorpal blades (my addition) are difficult to handle. When I was taking a GM break, the guest GM used him and Commodore killed my character with impunity. Oh, the irony!

Well....at the moment....it's probably be Anubis from CKC. Mainly because of his continual insistence that heroine Solaria(avatar of the Egyptian god Ra) submit and be his concubine. My group also loves Foxbat(though he's currently incarcerated and undergoing psychiatric evaluation....again). In the near future, I think the top of the villain pile will go to Bocal(From Arcane Enemies) and then Paragon.

Rob

It'd probably be Mechassassin. He's the ultimate professional. For my superteam he is sorta like Taskmaster was to the Avengers. He always has a Plan B' date=' Plan C, and even a Plan D. He just can't be caught.[/quote']

Mechassassin in my campaign as well. He's intelligent, resourceful, tough and most of all: for sale. A great all-around villain for hire.

"Nobody" is mine. He constantly comes up with things and such that nobody can do or learn. Between super mind reading, reality warping, magic/gadget pool powers he dove the team crackers for a while. Once they realized that each time they hit him they had to find a new way to attack they got it a bit better but he was a fun bad guy to GM.

"Nobody knows where our secret base is" heh heh heh...yep, he certainly does.

Camden Brown, attorney.

He went from a brief mention in the Shadows of the City Dark Champions book to the #1 pain in the ass of the PCs. I certainly didn't plan for him to have a major role in the campaign, but when someone inspires such loathing from the players, I go with the flow. :)

It'd probably be Mechassassin. He's the ultimate professional. For my superteam he is sorta like Taskmaster was to the Avengers. He always has a Plan B' date=' Plan C, and even a Plan D. He just can't be caught.[/quote']

I have an updated version of Bullet and a reworked version of the Raiders serving more or less the same function in my game.

They are prepared, disciplined, tough, smart, and what they do they do because it is their job. It is never personal.

My players seem to respect that, even if it scares the hebee jeebies out of them.

My players seem to respect that' date=' even if it scares the hebee jeebies out of them.[/quote']

Yeah. In many ways, Mechassassin bothers them even than more than some of the really ultrapowerful and scary villains because they second guess themselves. They go in assuming he won't make a mistake and when they take a course of action they start thinking, "Yeah, but he KNOWS we're gonna try that, maybe we should try something else." The professional, emotionless supermerc(s) can really be nervewracking for a team.

Doctor Vang... a cross between Ming the Merciless, and Doctor Doom. He's a Fu-Man-Chu villain, from Earth... who wants to rule the Universe.

My player's are all big fans of "Flash Gordon", and they like my Max von Sydow impersonations... Plus, alien civilizations that have encountered Doctor Vang, tend to take all Earthlings very seriously.

=P

Guest Worldmaker

Baron Malthus, a one-time Nazi super-scientist who has survived to the present day by having his brain transplanted into a succession of new bodies in the same manner as DC Comics Ultra-Humanite.

Omega, the Guardians Universe version of Marvel's Nimrod (the time-travelling anti-mutant robot).

Dr. Simian and Prime 8, because nothing says evil like a band of super-powered apes.

I'd have to say I have 2. Funny thing is one of them was a good guy.

I had a GMPC named Paragon, basically the worlds version of Superman, but with some major doubts and angst. After years of abandoning the superhero world he reappeared to make amends. The team hated him instantly. It didn't help that he was Vulnerable to Mind Control and the villian team was filled with metalists. I've never seen a group be so hostile to a HERO.

The second would have to be Dr. Destroyer. What more can be said? He's classic. And the people I play with will attest that he has been the thorn of their side.

Peace

Ours was (is?) M'Bomba - the Zulu (I think he was Zulu) God of Death, walking the earth in human form. He had these grand, glorious schemes of restoring Africa to its former glory... by scrapping the rest of the world.

First he tried street drugs and phony vaccinations that were laced with a genetic toxin that turned people into mindless, man-eating zombies. Then he spied on us for many many months to learn our tactics & our weaknesses before assembling a legion of supervillains (all who had a serious beef with one member of The Defenders or another) to try to take us down, along with his newly designed ultra-powersuit, which exploded..presumably killing M'Bomba, because, "Nobody could've survived that explosion!"

Finally, disguised as the seemingly well-meaning diplomat he had been posing as all along ( who was himself allegedly being hunted BY M'Bomba) he tricked our Lobbyist/ Greenpeace Tree-hugger and our multi-bajillionare into helping construct Terraforming devices, which were supposed to convert thousands and thousands of acres of Sahara into habitable, fertile land.... when in actuality, they were to wipe every continent other than Africa back down to bare soil. However, he is now imprisoned in a reality altering device, along with the member of our group who was actually his lapdog all along, under the watchful eye of Mobius, in the realm of some rather powerful cosmic entities... so, I'm sure we've totally seen the last of him. :eg:

I've only re-used four villains thus far, Occulon, Bulldozer, Blowtorch and Foxbat. Of those four, the member that has faced the most vitriol is Foxbat, followed by Bulldozer and his.... uhm... personality. Which of course almost guarantees they'll return, eventually.

That would be me ;)

Actually, thus far, they have their own individual hates.

But if I had to pick the one who strikes the most ill-notes with them then that's Eldritch, a time traveling mage who has the gift of being able to foresee the myriad changes his alterations to the time stream can do. He was a hero, but apparently that was only so he could influence the original team of Sentinels from the inside.

Guest Worldmaker

That would be me ;)

Actually, thus far, they have their own individual hates.

But if I had to pick the one who strikes the most ill-notes with them then that's Eldritch, a time traveling mage who has the gift of being able to foresee the myriad changes his alterations to the time stream can do. He was a hero, but apparently that was only so he could influence the original team of Sentinels from the inside.

I would love to see a writeup of that character.

In my campaigns, it's none other than my name sake. Players going up against Wormhole for the first time always underestimate him because they assume he's just an idiot teenager. The truth is, he's in his mid thirties cronologically but hasn't physically aged since he was fifteen thanks to the dimensional displacement field generated by his Gatemaster Beltâ„¢ (this is something Bradley considers both a blessing and a curse). The belt grants Wormhole control over dimensional portals and conduits, allowing him to travel nearly anywhere in space-time and gives him access to a pocket dimension he uses both as a hideout and a store house for his possessions, including all the weapons, gadgets, and magic items he's pilfered over the years.

Foxbat, it had to be Foxbat. My group loves to hate him. He is not a supervillian or superhero in my game, but a SUPERLOON; a very rich loon, but still a loon. He has many resources and influence to make my players lives miserable, but they still "love" him.

Probably me favorite villain to put against the heroes in my champions game would have to be Captain Cardiac. He is a retired surgeon who had an accident in his last operation. He gained the mutant power 9d6 ranged killing attack, linked to a teleportation that teleports the human heart out of the victims body and into Captain's hand.

Eveytime I bring him out the heroes drop him first. I get great ammusemnet form watching them drop my 60ish year old villain. I am lucky if he last 4 seconds