• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Did San Diego get a lot of its size from the gold rush' date=' or from some other reason?[/quote']

The wikipedia page has a demographic breakdown starting with the 1850 census.

Since the CA gold-rush was 1848, San Diego was barely a village then. It had some growth spurts - but really didn't hit a growth stride until somewhere between 1910 and 1920 when it doubled in size, and kept going. The heavy military presence currently adds to its population base as well.

Sorry, I missed the year. Yes, San Diego was a village/town until after the SF earthquake, when the Navy decided to spread the navy bases around. San Diego became home to 'Destroyer Force, Pacific' and the first Naval Air Base at North Island, and grew industry to support the navy (Air and Sea).

San Dog has a inferiority complex about San Fran. San Dog is the 2nd largest city in California, 8th in the U.S., and gets no respect...

I love San Fransisco, really. It's a beautiful city, with wonderful people and things to do. But there are people from near San Fransisco, the ones who call it "The City" (don't forget capitals!) who bug the heck out of me. Anyone calling San Fran "The City" is going to get a snide remark from me...

(Recently, someone told me they live near "The City", and I said 'Where on the island do you live?' They were very angry that I thought they meant Manhattan.)

Every time they say "The City" you should yell "Spoon!"

I have enough trouble explaining how, in NYC, "The City" is Manhattan. Explaining a Tick reference may be beyond me.

Seems that a editorial writer for the San Fran Chronicle claimed that "San Fransisco is known worldwide as 'THE City'" and they believe him. So no one in the English speaking world can refer to the ginormous city near where they live as 'The City', because that means San Fransisco. Meanwhile, I've heard NYC, Manhattan, Boston, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Seattle, Hilo, Syney, and London all refered to as 'The City' by residents of thier respective areas... but that's wrong, because only San Fransisco is 'The City', because Herb Caen said so.

Not only states.

Still people around whose knowledge of Australia is limited to scenes from Crocodile Dundee. I daresay we are all guilty of that sort of thing to some extent.

heck, Fraser Island off the East Coast of Queensland has 3 ecological zones, and it is just an Island...

Every time they say "The City" you should yell "Spoon!"

Every time someone says "The City", I expect to see Sandmen chasing runners who refused to go to Carousel.

I have enough trouble explaining how, in NYC, "The City" is Manhattan. Explaining a Tick reference may be beyond me.

Seems that a editorial writer for the San Fran Chronicle claimed that "San Fransisco is known worldwide as 'THE City'" and they believe him. So no one in the English speaking world can refer to the ginormous city near where they live as 'The City', because that means San Fransisco. Meanwhile, I've heard NYC, Manhattan, Boston, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Seattle, Hilo, Syney, and London all refered to as 'The City' by residents of thier respective areas... but that's wrong, because only San Fransisco is 'The City', because Herb Caen said so.

I've yet to hear someone who resides here call Vegas "The City". Of course, I've only been here in Vegas 30 years myself, so I could have missed it. ;)

JoeG

At any rate' date=' it's more a question of methods. Creationists believe what they do because of scripture and prayer. There are plenty of scientists of faith who have furthered our knowledge, but they did so using science, not scripture study.[/quote']

Agreed. Would somebody please Rep this man for me?