What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

Injustice: The Joker sets off a very dark turn for many of the members of the Justice League. It seemed to drag a bit for me, and isn't one I'm likely to re-watch. (HBOmax)

Justice Society: World War II: Classic DC heroes fighting Nazis. This one, I liked. (HBOmax)

Die Hard: The first (and best) of the franchise. (Hulu)

14 hours ago, death tribble said:

Prince of Darkness

Roger Corman time with Donald Pleasence as a priest who brings in scientists to look at a cylinder which contains evil. This is a film I saw at the cinema and it still holds up. Alice Cooper plays one of the homeless entranced by the influence of the evil.

Pretty sure this was written and directed by John Carpenter.

20 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

For my birthday today, my wife bought me the complete series of The Middle Man.  Watched the first three episodes with the wife and kids.  They loved it, as did I.

An awesome show.  I stumbled on it late then was completely floored when I couldn't find a season 2.  

Die Hard: The one with terrorists in the tower. (Hulu)

Die Hard 2:  The one with terrorists at the airport. (Hulu Blu-ray*)

(It's supposed to be Dulles during a snowstorm, but when John McClain enters the airport, it's extremely sunny in back of him with no trace of snow, other than a few flakes that have been strategically placed on his jacket. The terminal building is the International Terminal at LAX (it's distinctive if you've ever been through it), and the bank of pay phones also break the east coast illusion by being branded Pacific Bell instead of Bell Atlantic.)

*The sound mix was horrible on the Hulu streaming version, and I had to pop in my Blu-ray to be able to hear it properly. All I can think is that something goes wrong in the conversion process that causes the volume to be extremely low on certain movies (Hulu used Dolby Digital/AC3, while the Blu-ray used DTS encoding). 

Columbo night brings us the last two regular episodes as the master detective deals with an Irish gun runner trying to buy guns to ship home and a television executive who kills her boss and lover and then has to deal with problems at the network and Columbo snooping around. 

CES 

I've been seeing a lot of clips for it on the Book of Face, so I pulled up the pilot for Blue Bloods on Paramount+. Very interesting take on the police procedural. There's a strong family undercurrent to the show, which I think is pretty cool. Tom Selleck does a great job as commissioner of the NYPD. Plus, I got to see Donnie Wahlberg's character straight up waterboard a suspect to find a little girl who'd been kidnapped. That was pretty surprising. The show definitely has potential

1 minute ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I loved the entire series, and am bummed that was the only season.  Though I did enjoy the ComicCon table read of the never-filmed 13th episode.  

"Clarence?!"

The unfilmed 13th episode would have been amazing.  I kinda get why it wasn't filmed though.  The budget would have been crazy.

Everyone who needs more though, should google it.

Finished S1 of Julia (HBOMax), which is based on the life of Julia Child. The show's worth watching, and David Hyde Pierce is great has her husband Paul. Dollhouse fans will enjoy watching Topher as her producer. Good stuff overall, and worthy of a second season (which it's been renewed for).

Also finished S2 of Woke (Hulu). Not as strong as S1, S2 was still funny and, at times, very witty. Hoping they get a season 3.

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

I've been seeing a lot of clips for it on the Book of Face, so I pulled up the pilot for Blue Bloods on Paramount+. Very interesting take on the police procedural. There's a strong family undercurrent to the show, which I think is pretty cool. Tom Selleck does a great job as commissioner of the NYPD. Plus, I got to see Donnie Wahlberg's character straight up waterboard a suspect to find a little girl who'd been kidnapped. That was pretty surprising. The show definitely has potential

Good show.  Watched every season and they do a good job of talking about the social issues between the citizenry and police.

On 6/10/2022 at 2:35 PM, Pariah said:

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

I could've sworn I saw this film back in the day, but when I watched it today it was mostly unfamiliar. I remembered.the rock climbing scene and the "What does God need with a starship?", And I've seen the clip where Scotty bonks his head on a bulkhead, but the rest of the movie didn't ring any bells. 

So apparently I didn't see it before. But now I have.

On 6/10/2022 at 5:50 PM, Starlord said:

My condolences.

I wasn't that fond of the movie myself--but consider this.

Finished Barry S3 (HBOMax). While not quite as good as the previous two seasons, this delayed third season was still very very good. Lots of fun!

Also finished Obi-Wan Kenobi S1 (Disney+).  The story, acting, and such were OK. The fight sequences never rose above TV-quality and the chase sequences were mostly terrible. I appreciated the additional characterization of Luke's adoptive family, and it's nice to know why Leia later thought of Ben as her "only hope." Six episodes was about right for this.