Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

jkwleisemann

Thinking about this a bit, and I actually surprised myself a little bit, so I'm curious.

Of all the various editions of Hero, who is your favorite villain? Doc D, the classic powerhouse? Foxbat, the classic "love to hate him" loon? CLOWN?

Personally, mine gets a bit obscure, but I give him style points. Mister Rappentap. Whatever you might say about his writeup, you have to give bonus points to a guy with the nerve to routine use children as weapons against superheroes (and armor, for that matter).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Who Is... Your Favorite Villain?

Hard call, but overall I'd have to say Foxbat. He's become sort of a symbol for me, a raspberry at the iron age grim and gritty stuff that I get tired of. He's also just lots of fun for the GM.

For the players varies ;)

I'll see if I can come up with a top ten list later.

I have to think somewhat about a "top 10" - nailing who's in which position would be tricky - but for overall #1 I have to go with Lung Hung, from VOICE of Doom. A compelling origin, a powerhouse with distinctive style, a grand schemer and manipulator of world affairs behind the scenes, with an added unique twist.

Afraid I've never really had the chance to read that one. :( Or, more accurately, I had the chance, but not the funding, back when Half Price Books had it. *snaps fingers in frustration*

Is there anywhere that collects some of these old adventures, BTW?

Well, other than Amazon or eBay, your best bet for finding old Champs stuff is via online used game retailers. Here are a couple that I can recommend as giving good service, taking multiple payment options, buying or trading for games, and shipping internationally:

Noble Knight Games

The Dragon's Trove

While I'm not in the know about most of the villains either from the current edition or past ones I can say I really liked reading about Luthor Black.

I think he gets my vote. Yes Luthor Black! Because he wants to rule the world in style and look cool doing it. Sure he has had set backs, but what villain hasn't? This guy is the very embodiment of commitment to a long term far reaching goal.

I can't really separate out my top group, but they include: Shamrock, Shrinker, Icicle, and Howler.

I attribute roles to them that don't necessary appear in their official writeups, but which I think are reasonable extensions:

Shamrock - the villain I would most like to be friends with.

Shrinker - the villainous ex-girlfriend.

Icicle - the villainous cousin, niece or little sister.

Howler - for some reason I just dislike her, which makes her an ideal nemesis.

While I'm not in the know about most of the villains either from the current edition or past ones I can say I really liked reading about Luthor Black.

I think he gets my vote. Yes Luthor Black! Because he wants to rule the world in style and look cool doing it. Sure he has had set backs, but what villain hasn't? This guy is the very embodiment of commitment to a long term far reaching goal.

Certainly Luther Black has one of the grandest Master Plans of any comic or comic-inspired villain, ever. :hail:

The irony of how much his quest has already cost him adds an interestingly twisted pathos to the character IMO.

Luther Black... definitely agreed.

Really, he's #2 for me. :D

Why #2? Well... let's face it. He's a creepy bastard, to say the least, but he at least has the justification of being completely batsh-- loco. Ever since Jack Fool stopped the Dog Day Murders, he's been utterly whacked out of his gourd. A nihilistic megalomaniac is a dangerous thing, and he proves it. A delightfully dangerous thing.

I still give Rapentap points for being my favorite villain because, unlike Black, he (1) has a more chilling MO to most heroes and (2) doesn't have the mitigating circumstance of being insane. He's just evil - and not just because he's a demon these days.

Hmm, from the Fifth Edition, my favorite is Grond, though he's been given the hose treatment.

Prior to 5E, it'd probably be the Seven Horsemen, in particular, Destruction.

I've got lots of "like a lot," but since you just asked for "favorite" (singular), I've listed singular.

Oh, and don't worry about VOICE of Doom; I have it. And they'll be making an appearance....

Of all the various editions of Hero, who is your favorite villain? Doc D, the classic powerhouse? Foxbat, the classic "love to hate him" loon? CLOWN?

My all-time favorite Champions supervillain? No hesitation: Doctor Destroyer.

By the book, Destroyer's very involvement in any story arc was a signal to the players that whatever they just went through, things were about to get much worse and, most likely, the fate of the world was also going to be at stake.

When I was a GM, Destroyer's presence also meant "Have an alternate character prepared in case he kills you." Everyone knew - if you had to face him in combat at all - Destroyer would vaporize you where you stood. And if his write-up didn't literally show him as having something that could turn even the high-defense "brick" into a greasy smear on the battlefield with one good shot, he'd have it by the time he met the players there.

He took some work to GM properly, even more work to get it done to my own satisfaction, and in the heat of combat with dice flying everywhere even choosing the words of his merely speaking to the players was a true task.

But I either did it right, or I didn't want to do it at all. Dr. Destroyer was worth every ounce of effort for me to GM every time. To me, that is the mark of the best supervillain. :thumbup:

Second-place honors go to Grond, who was a kick for me to GM simply because I made him "lovable" to the point where even the weakest, most non-combat-oriented player in the group could "apprehend" Grond (solo!) with just very good role-playing and not so much as a single Conversation Skill roll. I always figured that if Grond was so easy for so many "smarter" supervillains to use as a pawn ("Hey Grond, go beat up that hero! He just called you a chicken!"), my players should be able to "talk him down" just as easily. One wrong or poorly-chosen word, however, and any one of Grond's four muscle-ripped arms was enough to "squash hero flat!" :king:

My Top 5 Favourite Villains

01. Hywel Bennett as Mr Krupp (Neverwhere)

02. Clive Russell as Mr Vandemar (Neverwhere)

03. Alan Rickman as the Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves)

04. Christopher Lee as Saruman (Lord of the Rings)

05. Jack Nicklson as the Joker (Batman)

My Top 5 Favourite Champions Villains

01. Telios/Malachite (Champions Universe)

02. Jefferson Gabel/Supreme Serpent (VIPER)

03. Doctor Fang Shen (Masterminds & Madmen)

04. the Monster (Conquors, Killers, & Crooks)

05. Luther Black (DEMON)

QM

This is going to sound funny, but the Golden Avenger - the one form the original Primus/Demon.

IN one game, his anti mutant stance made him a bigot, and he went villain-esque.

In another, I had supers appear at the start of the game, and he was anti-super rather than anti-mutant, and ended up as the white king of Genocide (Jeremiah Relm from Normals Unbound ended up the Black King).

Of all the published characters his use of as a villian has been the best the games I ran.

Sticking to Champions ('cuz John Mill and Thomas Macaulay are not going to head many other "enemies" lists)

i) Tesseract (also Gyre, so maybe a split vote) has a very cool powerset with enormous plot potential.

ii) Foxbat is a popular choice for goofball, but El Sauriano might just be even more ludicrous.

iii) Telios is my idea of a master villain. I'm not quite sure how he got to have a 30 body, but what really gets me is his genetic loyalty treatment. I've always envisioned him as being an evil Hari Seldon masquerading as a "mere" genetic mastermind. And behind that is whoever set him up...

iv) Takofanes. He has ruled the world before, and he's had a long time to cook up a plan. I cannot shake the feeling that he's behind some of the other mysterious things going on around the Heroverse --unlikely, unexpected things, like Mechanon, for example.

v) Arvad the Betrayer and his boys. He's not quite as grand as Darkseid (I'm hoping that a better Hero-Darkseid will turn up behind ARGENT), but close enough.