Purple Powers

CrosshairCollie

This is kind of a strange question, but ... let's say you're looking at superhero art, online or otherwise, and you come across a character who has no particular designs on his costume that would indicate what sorts of powers he has ... but he is firing a purple energy blast from his hand.

What kind of energy would you think it would be?

Just a weird question that came to me ... if it was yellow, most people would, I think, suspect a heat ray; blue, a cold ray. Green, radiation. But ... what kind of energy do you think of when you see purple?

Re: Purple Powers

This is kind of a strange question, but ... let's say you're looking at superhero art, online or otherwise, and you come across a character who has no particular designs on his costume that would indicate what sorts of powers he has ... but he is firing a purple energy blast from his hand.

What kind of energy would you think it would be?

Just a weird question that came to me ... if it was yellow, most people would, I think, suspect a heat ray; blue, a cold ray. Green, radiation. But ... what kind of energy do you think of when you see purple?

I'd think the artist has no taste in colors, or else the printer ran out of ink.

It could be anything - about the only thing I think of is Mind Control thanks to that stupid Purple Man. :nonp:

Hmm could be darkness based as black is hard to show well in older comics thus dark blue and purple being common colours in old batman costumes

That was my thought too. Purple is normally used in comics for dark-based powers, so I'd say some sort of negative-energy or similar techno-babbly terminology.

That's it! It's a multi-phasic energy field! :D

My first thought, since I just bought the full collection of Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe, was the evil mystical energy of Crisis and Reverend Darrk. Just thinking of that universe's version of the Doom Patrol gives me the creeps, especially Deathstroke.

But I don't think that's what you're looking for, since the character in question is probably not in that universe and you're talking about a superhero anyway.

Still, purple puts me in mind of some kind of "anti-energy," so if I were to make a guess about what the hero's powers were like I'd say he probably drains the strength, mental clarity, or other attributes of those he targets. That, or he exudes some sort of gas with similar properties. (Purple Haze, as suggested by DusterBoy, does have some appeal in this regard.)

It's a paralysis/stasis ray. The original Batman and the Outsiders showed us that.

EDIT: And yellow suggests electricity, despite the fact that real electricity tends to look blue-white, due to years of comic book artists use of yellow.

True, but it tends to be drawn jaggedly, so that's a dead giveaway.

I'll say "Elemental Darkness", or in this case, "Elemental Purpleness". Basicly what Marvel calls "Darkforce". You can cover an area with purple, push people around with solid purple force blasts, wrap them with a purple "entangle", move things with purple "TK", and other stuff.

Humm...this might be what I need for the nemisis of one of the charaters I plan to do for Champions Online. My charater: Sunburn. My nemisis: Deep Pruple(?). Prehaps the name Tartrus would sound cooler for a darkness manipulator. Anyhow...