Waking up with not-so-super powers

SatinKitty

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Waking up with not-so-super powers

I would like the ability to tweak the "flight or fight" response in people in my vicinity. An argument is getting a little heated? Lets take their adrenaline responses down a notch and have everybody be a skosh more calm, shall we?

If I could take things a little further (and I get that we're trying for minimalistic powers here), I'd say "Empathy augmentation". I could make people in my vicinity understand each others point of view with a mere nod of my head. I think I could make good things happen with that.

I once made a superhero NPC that had change environment 1 str TK with a largish radius and defined it as an ability to clean house.

For myself, a 5 second future vision that was 55% accuate would be cool. If it had to be unprofitable/nonpowerful, then the ability to change the smell of my flatulence would be fun.

I'd definitely go for the immortality if we are simply spending a few points on our real selves. But if that were not the case, if that were somehow off the table and we were just needing something to perhaps have some fun with, how about the ability to give to or take away from anyone, a sexual fetish of one's own choosing? Selfishly that could be of great use seducing someone, and it could also be the ultimate vengeance upon evil doers. And one could set up a thriving business curing registered sex offenders.

I would really' date=' really like to be able to talk to cats.[/quote']

But would the cats want to talk to you? Most of my experience says "no", under most circumstances. Don't expect the cats to treat you with any more respect than they did in the first place.

The ability to command dogs would be handy, especially if a neighbor had a dog that barked too much or liked to leave "gifts" on your lawn. "Do it in your own yard" would be a handy command.

The ability to detect lost money would be kind of useful, especially if you could reliably know how much and what kind. "There's $1.15 under the couch, but it's mostly pennies, two nickels and three dimes."

The ability to always remember things that you wanted to remember whenever you wanted to sounds like fun, but maybe I'm just getting old. :doi:

The ability to levitate just a few feet would be handy for getting at those things in the attic without having to fetch a ladder.

The ability to run at 25-30 MPH as long as you want without fatigue would be useful under the right circumstances.

many years ago I was in a game of people with relatively useless mutant powers in the Marvel universe.

I was Mallcrawler, who had the power to be intangible.... but only if within twenty feet of ten or more people.

My not-so-superpower will be knowing what a person is going to say before they actually say it and what the proper response should be. Since there would be no possible way that this power would allow me to survive in any fight' date=' I would only use it and become some form of "super-debater". I can see ways that I could talk someone into wanting to give me all the money they have on them, access to their personal and corproate accounts, into any job position that I desire (even if not qualified), and anything else that talking would allow. Maybe I might even talk the ubervillain into surrendering to the authorities without a fight :P.[/quote']

Combining those two, you could be a "super-mass-debater".

On a more serious, yet just as trivial note:

I'd like the power to make all food and drink in my vicinity remain at optimum serving temperature. I hate cold coffee.

I hate cold coffee.

I used to drink cold coffee all the time. I never did like it much. Then a few years ago, my daughter gave me a plug in coffee cup warmer. It is basically a tiny hot plate that fits a standard coffee mug that heats the plate just enough to keep coffee at a hot but drinkable temperature. I haven't had a sip of cold coffee in years. (I have a smart daughter. ;) )

That might make for a great tiny power, always knowing what the perfect present would be.

"The ability to always remember things that you wanted to remember whenever you wanted to sounds like fun, but maybe I'm just getting old. "

there is a guy in an Xman book with the ability to not only know where everything he ever lost was but where whatever someone else lost was also. he ended up on a coast to coast radio network helping call ins find their lost stuff.

The ability to detect lost money would be kind of useful' date=' especially if you could reliably know how much and what kind. "There's $1.15 under the couch, but it's mostly pennies, two nickels and three dimes."[/quote']

I'd like the power to make all food and drink in my vicinity remain at optimum serving temperature. I hate cold coffee.

I hear ya, brother! Spare Change Man would like to team up with Hot Coffee Man. He'd find the money, then they could go for coffee that stayed warm to the last drop!

"The ability to always remember things that you wanted to remember whenever you wanted to sounds like fun, but maybe I'm just getting old. "

there is a guy in an Xman book with the ability to not only know where everything he ever lost was but where whatever someone else lost was also. he ended up on a coast to coast radio network helping call ins find their lost stuff.

Now that's a power with real utility! Somebody like that guy could clear up a lot of things. We'd finally find out where all those lost socks go when they disappear from the dryer. We could finally determine where Jimmy Hoffa was buried and he could get rich finding the Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine.

David Letterman came up with a bunch of these powers--or at least his writing staff did--for one of his famous Top Ten Lists--this was "Top Ten Least Exciting Superpowers for Comic-Book Superheroes"

Cue the drumroll--

10. Super spelling

9. Lightning-fast mood swings

8. Really bendy thumb

7. Unusually natural smile when posing for photographs

6. Ability to calm jittery squirrels

5. Power to shake exactly two aspirin out of a bottle

4. Ability to get tickets to Goodwill Games

3. Power to score with other superheroes' wives

2. Ability to communicate with corn

1. Magnetic colon

Out of those powers, Number Three would definitely be the most risky and perhaps the least useful--there aren't that many married superheroes, and those who are you would not wish to have angry at you. ("Golly, Superman--I know what this looks like--but we're still pals, right? Right?")

Now The Twilight Zone did some good stories with this trope--one had a street peddler who kne what you needed, and would often just give it to you--

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0734690/

Another epsiode had Buddy Ebsen as a low-level telekinetic with a gambler friend who uses him to clean up at craps tables. The power fails at the moment they need it most, but for once it all turns out well--

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0734672/

Both are examples of powers that while they wouldn't enable you to save the world or conquer it, could help you to make a decent living.

Hope that helps.

I had a roommate once who, in answer to a question very much like this one, wanted the ability to move ice cubes telekinetically at distances of up to about 15 meters or so.

It pays to know in this context that at the time we were living in Austin, and our apartment overlooked the pool and the patio next to it. He wanted to be able to put an ice cube between a sunbather's shoulder blades.

I'd definitely go for the immortality if we are simply spending a few points on our real selves. But if that were not the case' date=' if that were somehow off the table and we were just needing something to perhaps have some fun with, how about the ability to give to or take away from anyone, a sexual fetish of one's own choosing? Selfishly that could be of great use seducing someone, and it could also be the ultimate vengeance upon evil doers. And one could set up a thriving business curing registered sex offenders.[/quote']

Better yet, change a person's sexual fetish/preference/orientation to something of YOUR own choosing and without their knowledge. Suddenly X doesn't do anything for them and Y does. Suddenly college cheerleaders stop going for jocks and start dating gamers.

From the makers of Cosmic Awareness comes; Self Awareness.

You are aware of yourself as a sentient, intelligent being. You know everything about yourself; Your thoughts, feelings, beiliefs, etc. Adding Discriminatory and you understand how deeply you feel on every subject.

Better yet' date=' change a person's sexual fetish/preference/orientation to something of YOUR own choosing and without their knowledge. Suddenly X doesn't do anything for them and Y does. Suddenly college cheerleaders stop going for jocks and start dating gamers.[/quote']

How devious. I'd rep you but I'm out.