Worst Hero Names (of your campaigns)

Blue

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Worst Hero Names (of your campaigns)

Warren King, mild mannered research professor, becomes Warren King, controller of rodents... player thought it was neat to have the same name in both his secret and hero IDs... his second character was Jack Hammer/Jackhammer...

Really? I get a ":p" for not getting a 20 year old movie reference? Sure the movie is a classic, but I didn't remember his full name after the first time I watched it. And what does that have to do with Bad Horse? I read the wiki, and the name 'bad horse' doesn't show up.

Really? I get a ":p" for not getting a 20 year old movie reference? Sure the movie is a classic' date=' but I didn't remember his full name after the first time I watched it. And what does that have to do with Bad Horse? I read the wiki, and the name 'bad horse' doesn't show up.[/quote']

You've been out-geeked. Get over it (:)). I didn't get the reference either, because Kevin Costner was highly overrated back then and Dances With Wolves looked to be a "White people are de ebbil and uncaring of de environment" kind of movie. Not that movies like that are necessarily bad, but my first impression wasn't "this will be a great movie" but "the plot and story will take a back seat to the actor, for whom this movie is just another vehicle."

One stupid character name was "The Incredible Bulk", a large, overstrong orange Hulk-clone NPC whose main ranged attack was dropping trow and firing a poop with the force of a canon. After our characters defeated the "Bulk" we turned on our GM and explained that if he ever threw such an unsanitary villain at us, we wouldn't flip the table, but haul him doen the hall to the latrine and give him a swirly. We never saw the Bulk again, thank G-d!

Sorry if I sounded crabby. Perhaps I should have used a smiley face. I'm still confused where the Dances with Wolves reference came from though. There was a blatant Dr. Horrible reference with Bad Horse, then the DwW/Bad Horse reference. Am I missing the segue here? What's the connection? Or was dropping the name John Dunbar in just completely random?

Sorry if I sounded crabby. Perhaps I should have used a smiley face. I'm still confused where the Dances with Wolves reference came from though. There was a blatant Dr. Horrible reference with Bad Horse' date=' then the DwW/Bad Horse reference. Am I missing the segue here? What's the connection? Or was dropping the name John Dunbar in just completely random?[/quote']

John Dunbar is the main character of DwW.

:facepalm: I know that. What does it have to do with this:

Had a superspeedster named "Blue Streak", which inevitably boiled down to running around naked jokes.

We also encountered "Lucha Prime" the super Luchador illegal immigrant from mexico.

There was also an anthro horse villain named "Black Knight" but everyone just called him "Bad Horse".

[John Dunbar]Bad Horse.

:D

I get that John Dunbar is the Dances with Wolves reference. I'm missing why the reference wa made at all. What does it hav to do with anything? I'm not complaining, I'm just confused. It's a complete non-sequitor. Or am I missing something?

I get that John Dunbar is the Dances with Wolves reference. I'm missing why the reference wa made at all. What does it hav to do with anything? I'm not complaining, I'm just confused. It's a complete non-sequitor. Or am I missing something?

Ahh... well, you see, it's like this, I, ahh... uhm... you got me.

I get that John Dunbar is the Dances with Wolves reference. I'm missing why the reference was made at all. What does it have to do with anything? I'm not complaining, I'm just confused. It's a complete non-sequitor. Or am I missing something?

I didn't realize it has been so long since Dances with Wolves came out. My gaming group at the time picked up on certain lines in the movie and used them as one-liners for a while afterwords. In one scene, Dunbar is sleeping in his "outpost" when his horse (which had gotten loose) wanders into the the doorway of his hut, startling him out of sleep. He jumps up and charges at the door (thinking it's an intruder) and smacks his head on the stovepipe, knocking him flat. After shaking it off, he "scolds" his horse in a low, pain-filled monotone: "Bad horse".

It got a good laugh out of the audience as well.

The poster prior to my reference gave a character's name as "Bad Horse". Call it a triggered flashback, if you will. :)

I have started a superhero game with my elementary school-aged kids who came up with some naively creative names. Unfortunately upon suggesting they might want a different name, they decided to go with a completely different character, leading to further humor/embarassment. To wit:

My daughter started with a weather contoller called "Wind-Breaker", who was then replaced by a druid with thorn powers called "Prick", who was then replaced with a fire-based character named "Flaming Queen". (She ultimately renamed the weather controller "Whirlwind").

My son tried out many names and characters, among them a martial artist brick patterned after James Bond's foe Odd-Job called "Hand-Job", then renamed "Rock Head", then "Rocky". I suggested he think about his martial arts abilities too when coming up with a name, resulting in the "Karate Kid", and then "The Abuser", and a spin on the Street Fighter video game "Street Walker". That character concept got ditched, and he wanted to have a living skeleton character called "Big Bone", and then "Monster Bone", then renamed "Dead Head", and then a play on Jolly Roger with "Deadly Roger". Finally he changed to a cold-base character originally called "Snow Man" then "The Freezer". Ultimately he decided to go with "Iceman" which I always thought was a lame name from the comics, but at this point I was thinking it was great.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a brain in a jar mounted on top of a robot body who declined to provide a name for himself (always a dangerous practice) and got stuck with Dr. BellJar.

I really don't get to tease him about it because I'm playing a character named Mittens.

My friend played an alien martial artist named, Harcourte (the "te" was silent). He eventually stopped playing him because we always made jokes about how "hardcore" he was. It makes him made to this day when we bring it up (and the character was played probably 10 years ago).

Another of the worst names is actually the name of an interesting npc I made. He's a former Soviet super, codenamed, the Marxman. He was an expert sniper, though he prefered to use a bow.

• 1 month later...

One guy in one of my early campaigns ran a starship captain named "Ebenezer Scrooge". He was new to RPGs and We didn't want to spend the time it would take to talk him into a better name.

One character I never ran was Captain Ordinary. I wrote him up numerous times, trying to figure out what powers a guy named that would have.

One character I wanted to run at one time was Le Petomane. Click on the name if you need an explanation why that wasn't a good name for a super (although he might've gone over big in France).

Guest steamteck

I had a PC with a absorbing man type ....... Wlberforce Mcpeavy, The omnipotent sponge man, the man with no scruples. That was actually kind of cool so maybe it shouldn't be here.

The heroes in my very low powered campaign have not yet become real super-heroes and only a few chose to use aliases.

The powers of one of them are electricity-based and because of his preferred attack we suggested calling him "Taser". His real name is "Philip Wood" and another player took the last two letters of each name and now insists on unsuitably calling him "IPod".

It really gets on my nerves...

The poster prior to my reference gave a character's name as "Bad Horse". Call it a triggered flashback' date=' if you will. :)[/quote']

And here I would have gone immediately to the leader of the Evil League of Evil, Bad Horse (Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog).

The worst name I have had come up in one of my games was Slammin' Big Guy. The character was just a big, purple, mutant that was the players answer to the Incredible Hulk minus the alter-ego...

In that same campaign another player had a character named Mediocrity Man. As you might guess, he was easily the weakest in the group.