Worst Hero Names (of your campaigns)

Blue

Oh, there are plenty of bad hero and villain names in comics. But how about the ones from your campaigns?

I had a (temporary) player once name a character who caused fiery explosions Firebang, which had two reactions generally. Everytime he said the name one of the players would giggle; and since the player was only around for one game, in subsequent games there were lots of jokes about the character's name by the other characters and eventually a retcon of the name to fingerbang.

Then there was the NPC I innocently named Penetrator when I was 14, because of his ability to foil security systems, and also because I couldn't come up with anything better. Sure enough, he was used twice and then dropped because of the many double-entedres.

A guy in my current campaign has a guy who was affected by radiation, named Couch Potato. Character is fun enough, but completely incongruous with the campaign.

But I suspect you guys have better ones out there, so lay them on me.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Worst Hero Names (of your campaigns)

One of the other players in our group had an ex-cop turned PI, who had low-level TK powers (he could only move things away from himself). His original codename was Pusher. :ugly:

My first-ever Champions character was a Vietnam veteran named Gregory Ichabod Jones, but went by GI Jones. Our team was the Ann Arbor People's Justice Co-opeartive, or A-squared-PJC.

My players have a habit of taking perfectly reasonable villain names and mucking them up. For example, a darkness-controller, Shadow Master, ended up getting his neck snapped by a brick pushing her amped-up strength in a haymaker punch. After that, the players referred to him as Jello Master.

Budman: Beer bumps and flatulence.

McNinja: A chicken nugget with a plastic cocktail sword.

Ninja Beaver: A beaver in a ninja suit, -4" running, extra knockback, every time he went through a door, a Big Gulp (Dr Pepper) appeared in his hand.

Chichita: dressed like Carmen Miranda, complete with fruit hat where each fruit was a different bomb, carried a watermelon making her look pregnant.

Ninja Chicken: think Godzilla, only bigger and with feathers, science has proven the Earth orbits Ninja Chicken not the sun.

And my personal . . . er . . . favorite . . . Ghost Fletcher, a Ghost Archer wannabe, about 12 years old, very annoying.

*Please note, NONE of these concepts or names were mine and all were GM'd by someone else though I did play with them.

There have been so many down through the years. Lets test the water with these...

There was a nun in one game who's name was Susan Feister, but she was very rapidly renamed Sister Fister

There was a character in a Vampire game who's real name I don't even remember anymore. He was a big, buff Italian dude from Jersey. Everyone called him FUNG (F'n Ugly New Jersy Guido), but eventually he drank some vampire blood and became the FUNG Ghoul.

There was Micro Max, a detective that could shrink down to microscopic size to look for clues. He became known as the Shrinking Dick.

My current players will mock anything and everything, which has caused me to cut down on the number of high powered megalomaniacs that should, by all rights, disintegrate them for their insolence. I'd be out of PC's in very short order! :D Several of their finest mockeries can be found in the "Quote of the Week..." thread.

I only heard about this one -- "Rectifier."

And then there was the guy who was brutally honest about his name -- "I... don't have a name yet."

Finally, we had a guy in a sweatsuit and ski mask with electrical powers -- the Unishocker.

I'm going to assume you mean unintentionally funny/bad names, not ones chosen to be funny.

A power armor hero called himself "War Shack", since his armor was big enough to live in. Was misinterpeted as "Worshack" and "Horshack" leading to "Barney Miller", "Welcome Back, Kotter", and Polish jokes at his expense.

A speedster went by "The Blue Streaker". Later shortened to just "Blue Streak".

A female brick who could turn to rock started as "Gal Stone".

The Champions pseudo-continuity some friends and myself ran on CO had some pretty outstanding names. Highlights include:

Chilly McFreeze (an evil Japanese michael jackson impersonator with ice powers)

Revolver Ocelote (Ocelote from Los Assesenios, armed with Tombstone Kid's guns)

Shoto-Clone (A Martial artist with Duplication powers)

Re-Pete (Another Duplicator)

The Atomic Pimp

Codename Montezuma's Skeleton (A secret agent Skeleton in a tux and a crown, armed with an axe)

In an unrelated game, one player came up with the name Howling Wind for a vaugely native american elemental themed character. You can imagine how that went over.

I have two. One an accident and one on purpose ... kinda.

I had an electricity using hero that I named Discharge, as in electrical discharge. Sounded too much like he had medical issues... Changed by fiat to Volt. (Really, I hadn't thought along those lines.)

The other was the Charcoal Brickette. Shrinking female brick who wore black. I came up with the name first then the powers. Never used, thank goodness.

Best name EVER:

There once was an ancient martial master who spent a millennium searching the world for new Chi techniques to absorb. In his travels he learned many powerful abilities, including one that extended his life... But time remained his only true enemy and age soon consumed his mortal form. In one last ditch effort the master developed a Chi technique that allowed his spirit form to roam free of its dying corporeal host. In fact, the master was able to focus enough Chi into his spirit form as to make it real itself, though it was still only a youthful projection of his true self....

Now, the player came up with this cool idea... The "master" would go into a trance and project himself as his younger self. The "projection" would be as solid as anyone else. However, there were limitations to the distance he could travel away from his real body. Most importantly, while the old "master" was in such a trance he ceased to age. The end result was a martial artist who traveled with his comatose "father/grandfather/whatever lie was necessary and always left him in a super-safe and secret place while he went off to enjoy his youth (and search for a way to make his projected form a true reality - thus allowing him to discard his old body).

Well, the character was done... But he still had no name. We had a really hard time naming this guy. Should he have one name, or two... or three (one for the "real master" one for the projection and one for the projection's hero ID)???????

Then, out of the blue, the player showed up and declared: "He shall be named OMIAC!"

"COOL NAME!" we all agreed. "But where did you come up with OMIAC"??? we asked.

"Simple", he said... "OMIAC = Old Man In A Closet"

I laughed so hard I cried!!! :lol::cry::lol:

One of the NPC heroes we fought alongside in my last table top game was named The Tongue who's entire body mass was made up of a muscle with the density and strength of a giant tongue. He wasn't the most attractive character (his pores constantly excreting saliva) and we were forced to restrain the rather sophomoric jokes when we found out he was gay.

This was from the same GM who brought us Bovine Fury the all bovine villain group led by Veal Genius.

We've never had much problems with silly names in the superhero genre but in some D&D games we were overrun with numerus variations of Tim, Bud the Wiser, Dan-on of Yo-Gurt, Ne-Hi of the Grape, Mel Lo Yel-O, and Spud-Boy the Quester: he who was looking for the Real Potato.

Middle-aged Englishwoman who constantly generated a thick cloud of fog around her. She had Personal Immunity and couldn't see it. Name? The London Fogger.

Gamma Lad. Gamma Lad was once exposed to gamma radiation and assumed (wrongly) that he must now have super powers. He was constantly leaping from rooftops, walking in front of buses, running into burning buildings. Great DNPC.

Timmy Titan. Brick who intended to go by Titan in order to protect his secret ID. Unfortunately he was dumb as a sack of hammers and kept introducing himself to the press (and everyone else) as Timmy. He had a public ID, but thought he had a secret ID.

I don't allow it. When I'm GMing Champions I work with the player to get a decent name.

The worst one IMHO that I ever allowed was a legacy character, a grandson of Magneto. He was Mister Magnetix.

but now as a player I've had the priviledge to adventure alongside a detective called the Blue Bat.

In a past (4th edition Champions) campaign, the heroes went up against Deathstroke, which included Death Commando. The heroes insisted on calling him "Dead Commando".

One intentionally bad name (and equally bad concept) one player came up with was Waffle-Man. He was a brick who would leap up and belly-flop on targets, and he also had a Cosmetic Transform to cover the target with those little squares. I wouldn't let him run it.

[Edit: That was a decade or more before Mystery Men came out, so it was not a ripoff of the Waffler.]

When one of my players said he wanted to GM Champions once, another player suggested that we all create characters with cars, and the cars would combine to make a giant robot. However, our characters would all be poor and have the cheapest piece-of-**** cars possible. The giant robot was going to be called: Yugotron!