The Flash

Greywind

Yeah, they had three non-scientists they could have given that line to.

Also . . .

I was thinking it was a huge waste to get rid of Tom Cavanagh. He was great as Wells/Thawne.

On the up side, Eddie erasing Thawne means Wells wasn't murdered. (And neither was Nora . . .) So Cavanagh could be back next season as Wells. I'll miss his evil smirks, but would still welcome him back as non-evil Wells.

Of course, Thawne could be back, too. But no reason for him to disguise himself as Wells.

On the third hand, if the status quo is maintained somehow, there's no reason for Wells to be around.

Ah .  .  . a pox on time travel!

http://www.crossmap.com/news/the-flash-season-2-spoilers-news-and-updates-tom-cavanagh-will-be-back-meet-the-mirror-master-18452

Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg has also commented that they would like to possibly work with Matt Letscher (the real Eobard Thawne) again.

• 4 months later...

The Flash Season 2 Premiere was off with a running start. I think it might have tried to cram too much into one episode, but overall I liked it. They do a six month jump, but mysteries remain....

the chief among them that if Eobard was truly erased from his history, why are his actions as Wells intact? Writer handwave/oops? Or something more?

But despite the inevitable complication, seeing the set up for "Flash Day" made me smile. And there's even a major happy moment that made me smile a great deal more than that. The guy playing Joe remains the stand out actor imo. 

Truly, my only complaints were minor...

Poor Atom Smasher... used as a villain

and

Why the heck is Henry leaving again? It came across as a bit forced. Though someone pointed out it was fitting to see Barry on the receiving end of someone wanting to protect him

The Flash Season 2 Premiere was off with a running start. I think it might have tried to cram too much into one episode, but overall I liked it. They do a six month jump, but mysteries remain....

the chief among them that if Eobard was truly erased from his history, why are his actions as Wells intact? Writer handwave/oops? Or something more?

But despite the inevitable complication, seeing the set up for "Flash Day" made me smile. And there's even a major happy moment that made me smile a great deal more than that. The guy playing Joe remains the stand out actor imo. 

Truly, my only complaints were minor...

Poor Atom Smasher... used as a villain

and

Why the heck is Henry leaving again? It came across as a bit forced. Though someone pointed out it was fitting to see Barry on the receiving end of someone wanting to protect him

Atom Smasher has been used as a villain before so it is not exactly a new experience for the character.

The detail that choked me up a little was seeing that when Henry put his hand on Berry's shoulder that he was still wearing his wedding ring.  Darn that's devotion.  It will be interesting to see if he is still wearing it next time we see him.

My wife asked the same thing about Henry. If he has to leave so that Barry can be his own man, then give Barry time with him first. Stay in Central City for a few months, living with Barry, bonding with your son without bars and glass between you. Then leave.

Zoom was mentioned. I'm wondering if this will be Professor Zoom (Eobard Thawne in the other world) or Zoom (Hunter Zolomon). Though I hope to see The Rival since that's Jay's Reverse Flash.

My wife asked the same thing about Henry. If he has to leave so that Barry can be his own man, then give Barry time with him first. Stay in Central City for a few months, living with Barry, bonding with your son without bars and glass between you. Then leave.

Zoom was mentioned. I'm wondering if this will be Professor Zoom (Eobard Thawne in the other world) or Zoom (Hunter Zolomon). Though I hope to see The Rival since that's Jay's Reverse Flash.

I think he may have lied about his motives for leaving. I'm thinking there's more to it that will come up later in the season. In the meanwhile, it gets him conveniently out of the way for a while.

A few of my thoughts:

I liked how they replicated the iconic Flash of Two Worlds comic cover in last night's episode.

Not being a big fan of Iris, I'm liking the interaction between Patty Spivot and Barry and hope that develops into something deeper.

Is Atom Smasher dead?  I don't recall them showing him getting locked up, and it seemed like "last words" in the reactor core.

I'm guessing since Jay Garrick has used lightning on Sand Demon in the past, he can come back from his present state somehow, perhaps if they grind all the glass up.  Otherwise, they're taking a mighty harsh approach this season to bad metas.

A few of my thoughts:

I liked how they replicated the iconic Flash of Two Worlds comic cover in last night's episode.

Not being a big fan of Iris, I'm liking the interaction between Patty Spivot and Barry and hope that develops into something deeper.

Is Atom Smasher dead?  I don't recall them showing him getting locked up, and it seemed like "last words" in the reactor core.

I'm guessing since Jay Garrick has used lightning on Sand Demon in the past, he can come back from his present state somehow, perhaps if they grind all the glass up.  Otherwise, they're taking a mighty harsh approach this season to bad metas.

I loved the remake of the cover as well! Great shout out!

Spivot is very likable

And I share your concerns about the villain treatment

I thought Jay said he didn't get a chance to use the lightning on him. I'll have to re-watch that bit. Seems like they're 2 for 2  on villain deaths if that's the case. I'm surprised Barry isn't in anguish over the death(s). 

I did notice on little oddity, there are 52 warp gates/ tears...That makes the show number 53 ...?

I noticed that, too. I actually cringed just a bit. I was expecting them to say "51 breaches."

Looks right now like Harrison is being shown as the villain again. That's the vibe I got from him during the STAR labs bit. Ah, well, I was really hoping for Jay's Zoom to be the other guy, but it makes sense and gives viewers a point of reference. I really hoped that E2 would have the original Harrison, that is, a doppleganger but not one killed by Eobard Thawn.

I finally got a chance to watch the most recent Flash (Season 2, Episode 2). I thought it was an okay episode on whole with a few great moments and a few iffy ones. --What comes next should be considered spoiler territory (although only a bit).

One of the things I was looking forward to the most was the interaction between Barry and Jay in regards to their nick names. I saw it in the preview when watching episode one and liked it. But when I actually watched it I felt it was kind of spoiled. Had they not shown that spoiler I think it would have been a much more impactful event. 

I have a quick question about season one and I hoped someone could confirm - Eobard Thawne has stated his name as being "Zoom" right? It wasn't one of those things where we the comic book fans happen to know his name, nor one of those things where he has stated it but that scene's info never got back to Barry and the group, right? Because I just kind of assumed he had. But the reaction from the group would seem to indicate that that wasn't the case. When they heard that "Zoom" was doing these things they didn't seem to have that "OMG!!! HE IS STILL ALIVE?!" reaction I would have expected. And since his name wouldn't have been common knowledge, having Jay state his name should have triggered some alarms, right? Because of this I am questioning whether or not Thawne ever actually mentioned his Alternate ID to Barry and the gang. Maybe they only know him as "the reverse flash" alone. 

Next up, given that we know Jay is from Earth-2 and Eobard recognized Jay's helmet when it came through the time vortex, we can safely assume he has been to that world, right? So perhaps that is why he is able to survive his ancestor's death. He is able to quarantine himself off in E-2 and can only surive in E-1 for a short while, thus why he is sending baddies through and not dealing with the Flashes directly. but all in all, I don't really know. 

With the Atom Smasher event I think we could assume that they killed Atom Smasher. Barry did seem choked up about what happened. That to me says he was dealing with the emotional toll of (probably) killing someone. But this current one didn't even phase him at all. That either means they are taking a strict view of Metas now or there was (hopefully) a scene where they mention Sand-Demon would survive the lightning strike that got cut for time's sake. But that seems odd. Maybe the direction they are taking with the 'dealing with' of metas will be ironed out in the next episode or two. 

I look forward to the next show. This is probably my third favorite show on TV right now. 

Foreign Orchid. 

Well, in the comics*, Thawne is Professor Zoom, then there's another Reverse Flash just named Zoom (Hunter Zolomon). So, the one with the funky no-face schtick could be Zolomon. "Wells" did seem to be projecting an evil vibe in Earth 2, though. My guess is that there will end up being two Reverse Flashes this season. "Wells" could be manipulating things from behind the scenes. He may lack his powers on E2 in the same way Garrick does on E1. It does make me curious to see where they're going with this.

*At least according to Wikipedia when I was looking up the difference after the first episode. I'm not too familiar with all of the Flash family and his rogue's gallery. I've mostly been exposed to the Flashes in team books.

I don't think Thawn ever said he was aka Professor Zoom. To my knowledge, he only went by Reverse Flash with them. IIRC, there was a promotion in season 1 that said, "Zoom is coming," but that's all.

Another thing that makes me think E2's Zoom is Thawn (though how the future Thawn's both wound up killing Wells on their Earths is a coincidence inside an enigma wrapped around a puzzle plated by a riddle) is how Zoom was trying to kill Jay. He did the same vibrating hand trick that Reverse Flash used. Not a complete giveaway as any speedster could do that but a clue or misdirection.

And FO noticed the same thing I did with Thawn and the helmet last season. As soon as Thawn recognized the helmet and said it was time to go, I knew he was familiar with the alternate earths. I don't know if he can travel between them, but he knows about them.

I think something worth noting about Dr. Wells is that even without Thawne's involvement, he would have created the particle excellerator. Thawne just upped the timescale. So the E-2 Dr. Wells could be the real Dr. Wells (of E-2). But in E-2, it could also be that the real Dr. Wells is Zoom. Perhaps that is the real professor Zoom while the E-1 Zoom is just a different version of Zoom. 

I think it is also of note that the E-2 Flash had been doing battle with Zoom for some time. If that was Thawne, that would seem to imply that he was either in both places at the same time, that there exist some strange Time-Warp between the two Earths, or that the Zoom of that world is not E-1's Eobard Thawne. And given the drastically different costume I am tempted to think that it isn't Eobard Thawne. Perhaps because Eobard Thawne is from the far future, he already knows about E-2 because of another event opening up the portals between worlds. He would thus know about Jay as a matter of historical record rather than personal enemy. Heck, since we are dealing with both time travel and extra dimensions, it could be that Eobard has fought against both flashes in his personal past but their personal futures. Timey Whimey, ya know. 

Lastly, what was all the commentary above about the portals. I apparently didn't catch one. Why are there 53? Didn't they say 52 in the show? I thought that was to reference the comics in a subtle nod kind of way. Perhaps even being a foreshadowing of the FlashPoint events. 

Foreign Orchid. 

Could be. Right now, I think that E2's Zoom is Thawne from E2's future, but they could switch things around on us and it be Wells from E2.

About the breaches, DC has the multiverse of 52 earths. When they showed the breaches on the screen, I concluded it was a reference to the DC52. When they said "There are 52 breaches," each leading to a different earth, it caught me off guard because that means they are dealing with a total of 53 earths.

Well, in the comics*, Thawne is Professor Zoom, then there's another Reverse Flash just named Zoom (Hunter Zolomon). So, the one with the funky no-face schtick could be Zolomon. "Wells" did seem to be projecting an evil vibe in Earth 2, though. My guess is that there will end up being two Reverse Flashes this season. "Wells" could be manipulating things from behind the scenes. He may lack his powers on E2 in the same way Garrick does on E1. It does make me curious to see where they're going with this.

*At least according to Wikipedia when I was looking up the difference after the first episode. I'm not too familiar with all of the Flash family and his rogue's gallery. I've mostly been exposed to the Flashes in team books.

I don't have a link, but I believe the showrunners said Zoom isn't Zolomon. Personally, I think Eddie survived S1, went nuts, gained speed powers and is posing as Zoom. I also think the Harrison Wells of Earth 2 is the Harrison Wells of Earth 2.

Of course, none of that means that he isn't a bad guy.

Ah. I see. I was thinking that there were 52 breaches to E-2, not to 52 distinct realities. And given that we haven't been told about anything other than E-2 in detail, I must have not caught the line where they say the breaches go to different Earths. But given that, I am wondering which one of us mis-heard. I may have to re-watch that bit to see for sure. 

Off the bat, I am thinking it is 52 breaches that each only connect E-1 and E-2. 

Foreign Orchid. 

My reading is that there are now portals open to 52 alternate Earths. We don't really know which of those 52 the most recently spotted Harrison Wells is living in. And there is no reason to think that last season's Thawn/Wells was from anywhere except the future of Earth Prime. The most plausible explanation for why Thawn recognized the winged helmet in last season's finale is that Garrick (or some version of him) makes his way to Earth Prime's future and encounters Reverse Flash there, not that Thawn/Wells from season one was originally from Garrick's alternate Earth dimension.

If fact, we don't even know which Earth Jay is from, as there are no formal identifiers established yet. That little lesson on breaches utilized "Earth 1" and "Earth 2" as simple explanatory terms, not official names meant to uniquely identify any of the breaches. Of course, they may decide to formally refer to the Earth connected to the original wormhole as Earth-2, but at the moment it is all really just loosey-goosey nicknaming (and potentially very confusing).

I expect them (the writers) to use these 52 breaches to handwave away the source of whatever new villain or strange anomaly they need for each week's plot. I don't expect there to be any sound logic developed for any of it. I mean, the moment they made time travel the foundation of the first season, we all knew that sound logic wasn't going to be found anywhere in this show.