The Flash

Greywind

I expect them (the writers) to use these 52 breaches to handwave away the source of whatever new villain or strange anomaly they need for each week's plot. I don't expect there to be any sound logic developed for any of it. I mean, the moment they made time travel the foundation of the first season, we all knew that sound logic wasn't going to be found anywhere in this show.

To be honest, sound logic isn't the main reason for me to watch most shows.  My favorite shows are, 9 times out of 10, due to the characters.  And The Flash has, IMO, done a wonderful job with most of the characters. 

I loved watching Warehouse 13 when it was on SyFy.  They had some wonky logic at times.  But really, they could have had an episode with Pete, Myka, Artie, Claudia, and Jinx selling encyclopedias door-to-door and I probably would have enjoyed it.

That said, I wouldn't want the writers of The Flash to completely ignore continuity and go all-out stupid.  But at this point I'm willing to overlook things as long as they fit okay with comic book tropes.

Could be. Right now, I think that E2's Zoom is Thawne from E2's future, but they could switch things around on us and it be Wells from E2.

About the breaches, DC has the multiverse of 52 earths. When they showed the breaches on the screen, I concluded it was a reference to the DC52. When they said "There are 52 breaches," each leading to a different earth, it caught me off guard because that means they are dealing with a total of 53 earths.

Perhaps one of the breaches (does anyone else think "pants" when they say this word?) goes "someplace else" instead of to a different Earth.  Like maybe Apokolips, or the Orrery of Worlds, or someplace else outside of the "local multiverse"?

To be honest, sound logic isn't the main reason for me to watch most shows.  My favorite shows are, 9 times out of 10, due to the characters.  And The Flash has, IMO, done a wonderful job with most of the characters. 

I loved watching Warehouse 13 when it was on SyFy.  They had some wonky logic at times.  But really, they could have had an episode with Pete, Myka, Artie, Claudia, and Jinx selling encyclopedias door-to-door and I probably would have enjoyed it.

That said, I wouldn't want the writers of The Flash to completely ignore continuity and go all-out stupid.  But at this point I'm willing to overlook things as long as they fit okay with comic book tropes.

I tend towards the 'likable characters forgives much' school myself. :) 

And Cisco has his own Catwoman... how about that? :)

I think Flash's universe (the city, the supporting characters, especially the rogue's gallery) is one of the weakest in comics and they'd have been better served not dipping so deeply into it.

You don't like the Flash's Rogues Gallery? I consider that maybe the second best in comics after Batman's. Captain Cold, Heatwave, Captain Boomerang, Weather Wizard, Mirror Master, Grodd and Zoom are all fantastic. Just classic Silver Age to Bronze Age awesomeness.

The relational stuff is historically weak, but not beyond genre conventions. But man, I love me them Rogues (I didn't even get into the "B list").

Perhaps one of the breaches (does anyone else think "pants" when they say this word?) goes "someplace else" instead of to a different Earth.

I'm wearing a shirt row now that I got from a data security conference.

To convey its message about the importance of hack-prevention, it says, "Drop Your Breaches."

I have to second that the Rogues are right up there with Batman's foes for an interesting selection of villains. Decades of writers have really shaped them up and given them personality. They've got a blue collar working villain vibe I enjoy.

In the show, Cold is the stand out among them, but Golden Glider is fleshing out nicely. Heatwave is a ham, but it works for him. And I'm surprised how ####ing scary they managed to make Grodd

Batman's Rogue's gallery is a threat to him and interesting.  The Flash doesn't even have to stop reading a book to trash all of his enemies combined, combined, at the same time other than reverse flash which is... not a great name.

https://youtu.be/AFpv1wOwRnA

And the actual canon of the Flash books and the Flash series show that you're wrong.  Thanks for playing.  Here's your lovely parting gift.

Batman's Rogue's gallery is a threat to him and interesting.  The Flash doesn't even have to stop reading a book to trash all of his enemies combined, combined, at the same time other than reverse flash which is... not a great name.

https://youtu.be/AFpv1wOwRnA

The Flash's Rogues are appealing, if you're twelve.* But honestly, I'd say the same about Batman or Spider-Man or Superman or any superhero created before the Bronze Age.

Some of the show's fun comes from seeing how they re-interpret these characters for a modern, more "sophisticated" audience. Besides, what godless heathen couldn't love...The Mirror Master! :rockon:

*And what's wrong with liking the things you liked when you were twelve? The Iron Age could be fun at times, but nothing compares to the sheer joy of seeing a guy in red tights fighting a hyper-intelligent gorilla with psi powers.

A lot depends on the point in time for the comparison. My childhood recollection is that Batman's foes were all basically normal people with gimmicks (Joker, Penguin, Catwoman and Riddler being the "big four"; Two Face, Calendar Man, Killer Moth, lots of other B levels).

Superman's enemies were either geniuses (Luthor, Brainiac), oddball schtick characters (Mxyzptlyk - really more a plot device, Prankster, Terra-Man, Toyman) or linked to the Green Rock (Metallo, Kryptonite Man).

Green Lantern villains always had the colour yellow in there somewhere.

But Flash villains were all over the map with various different schticks and abilities, largely because there was no "natural" counter to superspeed (like Green K or Colour Yellow) to lazily fall back on.

I also recall (back to the 60's and 70's) that Marvel characters generally struggled to defeat their foes in combat. However, DC Supers typically had incredible powers that took their foes out in a panel or two* - their challenge was figuring out the plot and finding the villain.

* Even Bats had few physical threats in his Rogues' Gallery - punch out the thugs to one punch Riddler or Joker, get past the umbrella and take down the Penguin, and one simply doesn't hit a girl, so just slap the cuffs on Catwoman - or something - though that's Golden Age.

Wentworth Miller is worth the price of admission in every episode in which he appears. His take on that character is television gold.

I also loved how they did Grodd. Absolutely fantastic job, not just in terms of the gorilla fx, but in terms of how they built up to it and how they actually handled the character as utterly believable despite the intrinsic ludicrousness of it.

I also tip my hat to Harrison Wells as a great villain on the show.

I just wish the writers weren't so all over the map with how smart or stupid they make Barry from one episode to the next.

The most recent episode was great for the most part but I thought it would have probably worked better as a two parter. There was enough story lines starting and stopping in one episode to justify it being better explored in two. 

That said, though, it was still good. 

Foreign Orchid. 

The most recent episode was great for the most part but I thought it would have probably worked better as a two parter. There was enough story lines starting and stopping in one episode to justify it being better explored in two. 

That said, though, it was still good. 

Foreign Orchid. 

I agree that it did feel like it was a bit rushed in parts. Two episodes to get to know our potential  Firestorm halves would have been nice. But yeah, it was good. I loved the Killer Shark bit (And given Special effects cost can understand why it was brief) .

What's really interesting is that I think they've made it so Wally West will be Iris' half brother. He's on his way

I love the fact that this show fully embraces its comic book roots. All the crazy comic-book stuff is right there for us to enjoy. Kudos!

It's too bad, though, that all the character melodrama is so weak by comparison. There is only so much the amazing Jesse Martin can do to save that stuff from being completely groan-worthy. The writers should pay him a bonus for so effortlessly covering the stench of their steaming piles.

I'm glad to see Wells back, even if he isn't a villain this time (though we don't know for sure yet what his deal is). But I want more Grodd!

Yeah, Wally being Iris's brother was confirmed in an interview. They thought it would play better than introducing a random cousin who's never been mentioned before.

Has he been mentioned as her brother already?  Because introducing a random brother that's never been mentioned before seems way more of a stretch than introducing a random cousin or nephew that's not come up previously. 

Has he been mentioned as her brother already?  Because introducing a random brother that's never been mentioned before seems way more of a stretch than introducing a random cousin or nephew that's not come up previously. 

The interview explicitly stated that the brother will be Wally. And if you saw the last episode, they gave a reason for not mentioning the brother before, which I assume they think makes more sense than using a previously un-mentioned cousin.

Now, I'm just stating the reasons given by the show runners in some interview. I really don't think it makes any more sense one way or the other. It's not like I sit around chatting about my out of town cousins on a regular basis, so "Hey, my cousin Wally is coming to town," makes just as much sense as "My investigative journalist skills have uncovered the existence of a brother mothered by my previously assumed dead mother while she was away pretending to be dead. I can't wait to meet him!"

Actually, a random cousin coming to town makes a lot more sense, but I guess they like the drama. I do feel like they don't do that kind of drama as well on The Flash as they do on Arrow, so maybe they should've just gone with the cousin angle.