In other news...

tkdguy

That's only if you sign in with your google info. There is no evidence that Pokemon Go starts rooting around in your information if you do, but once signed in, users will want to go into their google accounts and deny Pokemon Go read access to everything.

Update, July 12, 8:25 a.m.: On Monday night, Niantic gave a statement to the Verge and other outlets that promises a change to the Google permission Pokémon Go currently demands. The company wrote:

We recently discovered that the
Pokémon GO
 account creation process on iOS erroneously requests full access permission for the user’s Google account. However,
Pokémon Go
 only accesses basic Google profile information (specifically, your User ID and email address) and no other Google account information is or has been accessed or collected. Once we became aware of this error, we began working on a client-side fix to request permission for only basic Google profile information, in line with the data that we actually access. Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by
Pokémon Go
 or Niantic. Google will soon reduce
Pokémon Go
’s permission to only the basic profile data that
Pokémon Go
needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

This will address the concern about permissions, which is great news for Pokémon Go fans who didn’t want to give the game up over a security risk. But it’s still troubling that Niantic didn’t know what it was asking Google—and users—for in the first place.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2016/07/11/pok_mon_go_gets_full_access_permissions_to_some_google_accounts.html

Scoutmaster cut short last night's scout meeting so the boys could all play Pokemon Go on the school grounds.  Every single scout was playing.  For an hour.

All my coworkers play, even my boss. I'm left behind to mind the office.

A sign of the End Times, perhaps?

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/end-times-pastor-warns-isis-could-use-pokemon-go-to-target-christians-with-cyber-demons/

I'm reminded of a short story I read in high school (obviously a take on the real D B Cooper), where a flight attendant tells the captain that a man with a bomb has locked himself in the bathroom, demanding a bunch of money and a parachute, same basic setup as D B Cooper.  They land, get the money and parachute, offload the passengers, the plane takes off again, gets to altitude... and the crew breathes a sigh of relief.  They pull the body of a passenger (whom the flight attendant had killed, I don't remember how) out of the lavatory, put a parachute on him, and toss him out the door.  Divvy up the money and head back to the airport.