In other news...

tkdguy

Absolutely none of my post was directed toward you in any critical way, Duke, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was just illustrating in response to all the justified concerns expressed on this thread, from my own very recent experience, that alternatives exist, and they more-or-less work. :)

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

So she's waiting for the 30th year anniversary to yell, "April Fools!!" and let you know it was just a 3 decade long running gag?  :)

Her birthday is Oct 1, and she had an ongoing gag of asking for presents for her half-birthday, which is April 1.  When I gave her a (cheap) pair of silver & sapphire earrings on April 1, she was thoroughly unprepared.

50 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Absolutely none of my post was directed toward you in any critical way, Duke, and I apologize if it came across that way. I was just illustrating in response to all the justified concerns expressed on this thread, from my own very recent experience, that alternatives exist, and they more-or-less work. :)

Didn't take it that way, Sir.

Just trying to keep this from getting out of hands amongst my fellow Americans: it's an election year. ;)

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Yesterday my brother was taken to hospital emergency by ambulance with severe abdominal pain. He was put through an MRI which found stones in his pancreas, which need to be removed. Because his pancreas was so inflamed, he needed a more specialized treatment. Today he was transferred across the city to another hospital where a team with more experience and more advanced equipment sucked the stones out of him. He'll need a couple more days in hospital to recuperate before discharge.

My brother is being charged $45 for his initial ambulance trip. Everything else is covered by his provincial government health insurance, which all citizens contribute to.

The Canadian government-funded health care system most definitely has flaws. But no Canadian citizen hesitates to see a doctor when they're sick.

Respect to Canada *Salutes*

14 hours ago, L. Marcus said:

I hesitate to think what my open-thoracic heart surgery would have cost me in the US.

My grandfather got open heart surgery at 89 and he could afford it (on his fixed income social security money).

My wife had two ER trips, a 3 day hospital stay and multiple scans a couple weeks ago.  Our out of pocket cost so far... $0.

Generally the problems are either having no insurance at all or having insurance which decides to fight the hospital on what they'll pay for a given treatment leaving a nasty out of pocket cost.  The latter is an unpredictability that can be quite painful at times.

Granted my wife and I are fairly old and she's had a lot of medical attention the last few years with her ultra-rate auto-immune disease.  The costs have been quite reasonable ... so far.

2 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

My grandfather got open heart surgery at 89 and he could afford it (on his fixed income social security money).

My wife had two ER trips, a 3 day hospital stay and multiple scans a couple weeks ago.  Our out of pocket cost so far... $0.

Generally the problems are either having no insurance at all or having insurance which decides to fight the hospital on what they'll pay for a given treatment leaving a nasty out of pocket cost.  The latter is an unpredictability that can be quite painful at times.

Granted my wife and I are fairly old and she's had a lot of medical attention the last few years with her ultra-rate auto-immune disease.  The costs have been quite reasonable ... so far.

Having handled my dad's finances prior to his passing (at the age of 97, and he was hospitalized with a heart attack at 96), I can tell you that the hospital can only bill up to a certain (fairly low) percentage of the cost if the patient is covered by Medicare.  IOW, Medicare paid a certain amount, the hospital billed my dad for a certain amount, and the rest was written off by the hospital.  So yeah, Dad was charged a (relatively) affordable amount for his treatment and hospitalization, but if I had been the patient, the amount billed for the same hospitalization would have been considerably higher.

As to your wife's hospital stay, if it's only been a few weeks, you quite possibly haven't gotten billed yet.  My dad's bills didn't start arriving until a few months after his discharge from the hospital.  (But this can differ by hospital, as well as which insurance you have.)

But yeah, a lot depends on the type of insurance you have. 

29 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Yeah, there's a reason "medical vacations" to other countries  have gained in popularity in the last 10 years.

Mexico has a thriving dentist business for Americans making a run for the border

You're completely correct.  Somewhere along they decided that teeth and eyeballs aren't part of health.  :(

Oh yeah, just look at the medical insurance for Utah government workers. They pay patients $500 to fly to Mexico to get their drugs. The insurance pays for the airplane ticket and a night in a hotel (and the drugs), and on top of that gives the patients $500, and the insurance company STILL saves money.

www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2020/2/10/21131921/utah-expensive-prescription-drugs-mexico

On 2/24/2020 at 7:15 PM, Old Man said:

80000 cases, 2700 fatalities.  Also an outbreak occurred in a non-Asian country so the stock market finally noticed.

I saw an article that shows via statistics that China has been under reporting by about 100 fold...so it might be two more zeroes on those figures.😬

44 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

One thing that I found SUPER interesting in the by country statistics I saw a few days ago is that most countries are showing a mortality rate of about 2.5%, but Japan is showing 0.5%.

Seems like if that holds that someone might want to ask Japan how they're saving 4 out of 5 people that are dying in other countries.

Statistics.  Japan has had one death.  That's not a large sample size.

Germany has a mortality rate of 0%, they're the ones we should be asking.  ;)

6 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

Yeah, I think the latter you mentioned is the biggest problem.  It pretty much gives the hospitals the ability to pick any crazy amount they are in the mood to demand, and dare the insurance company to balk at it.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Yeah, I think the latter you mentioned is the biggest problem.  It pretty much gives the hospitals the ability to pick any crazy amount they are in the mood to demand, and dare the insurance company to balk at it.

You're not wrong.  I had a surgery about 15 years ago.  In and out in about 6 hours.

The original bill was about $35,000.  The insurance company politely said f*ck that and offered $11,000.  The hospital wrote the rest off and my out of pocket was around $300.00.

From the Joe Worker-bee seats those are scary amounts of money being thrown around.