In other news...

tkdguy

The family that plays video poker together...

I'm reminded that in the US there is no way to check the age of players at lottery machines positioned at grocery stores (and just about all of them have one or more) -- the machine does ask if you are of age (the legal age for gambling in most of the US is 18), but a determined teenager who wants to buy a Powerball ticket can simply lie. And since it's a cash transaction there's no way to tell in retrospect.

Now the teen may have a hard time collecting their winnings, but that doesn't stop them from spending their money.

8 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

The family that plays video poker together...

I'm reminded that in the US there is no way to check the age of players at lottery machines positioned at grocery stores (and just about all of them have one or more) -- the machine does ask if you are of age (the legal age for gambling in most of the US is 18), but a determined teenager who wants to buy a Powerball ticket can simply lie. And since it's a cash transaction there's no way to tell in retrospect.

Now the teen may have a hard time collecting their winnings, but that doesn't stop them from spending their money.

As for the teen collecting the money, all they have to do is find an adult to cash in the ticket for them.

When I was traveling in the western US, I noticed several states which had video slot machines and video poker in their convenience stores. (I'm pretty sure on Wyoming and Montana being among those states.)

In many places the machines were in a little side room like a row of video game machines used to be placed in pizza parlors thirty years ago. The machines weren't in view of the store's cash registers so I doubt they were monitored closely by the employees. And I suspect the machines were deliberately placed so that minors could play without being noticed by the staff.

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

Holy mackerel!

Since the article didn't specify whether the man was an enemy of God, we will never know on that point. All we know for sure is that there are many sea critters we should not be messing with.

Lewis Hamilton won the Spanish Grand Prix.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/53799077

Ronnie O'Sullivan won the Snooker World Championship for the 6th time. This makes him equal with two other players (Steve Davis and Ray Reardon) and one behind Stephen Hendry. The No 1 seed is Judd Trump. And his loss may be a herald of the other Trump losing the Presidential election.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/53795792

The Criterium de Dauphine also finished today truncated from 8 stages to 5. The race was notable for a lot of favourites dropping out or using this as practice for the Tour. Daniel Martinez won the whole thing but the last stage was won by American Sepp Kuss.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/53797357

I just hope our would-be dictator isn't taking notes.

Is the Secret Service protecting Joe Biden and Kamala Harris yet? I hope so -- even in times like these, the Secret Service's professionalism is unquestioned, and it's been nearly sixty years since a President or major party candidate has been murdered under their protection. (only two Presidents -- Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan -- have even been wounded since the Kennedy Assassinations, and I don't think they were in charge of securing RFK. Both Ford and Reagan had full  recoveries and lived (after a fashion -- Reagan developed Alzheimer's and lost his entire personality before his death) into their nineties. (And for the record, I  do not wish the President any physical harm on the general principle that nobody deserves to die for political reasons.)

19 minutes ago, Starlord said:

That is perhaps the most disgusting thing I have read about in a four-year period full of appalling behavior. I'm not going to call it "sick" because of what that term implies about mental illness, because this is something different. It is evil almost in its purest, least distilled form. These people need to be found and locked up for the good of everyone, not just the parents and students of Columbine High School. They are a stain on all of us.

5 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

I just hope our would-be dictator isn't taking notes.

Is the Secret Service protecting Joe Biden and Kamala Harris yet? I hope so -- even in times like these, the Secret Service's professionalism is unquestioned, and it's been nearly sixty years since a President or major party candidate has been murdered under their protection. (only two Presidents -- Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan -- have even been wounded since the Kennedy Assassinations, and I don't think they were in charge of securing RFK. Both Ford and Reagan had full  recoveries and lived (after a fashion -- Reagan developed Alzheimer's and lost his entire personality before his death) into their nineties. (And for the record, I  do not wish the President any physical harm on the general principle that nobody deserves to die for political reasons.)

Candidates are supposed to get protection when they become the apparent nominees for one of the major parties. Or earlier if the candidate requests it and the Secret Service determines that there's a credible threat (like the candidate being mobbed by supporters every time he makes an appearance).