In other news...

tkdguy

Speaking of which, did President Biden officially lift the gag order that the previous president put on all the nation's science agencies? I presume that he did, but I haven't heard. It's possible I haven't been paying attention.

19 hours ago, Simon said:

Perseverance has touched down on Mars and is communicating.

I'm keenly interested in seeing  the helicopter, Ingenuity, fly.  That's a technique that is already scheduled for a mission to Titan.  And while that one has the potential to be insanely productive scientifically ... I might not live long enough to see those returns (schedule arrival is 2036).

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

Djokovic wins Australian Open giving him 18 titles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/56147443

And Naomi Osaka gets her 4th Grand Slam title in the same tournament.

In other sports news, Luna Rossa wins the Prada Cup and will face off against Emirates Team New Zealand in the America's Cup.

Tiger Woods wrecked his SUV in a one-car accident;  excessive speed, on potentially tricky roads, appears to be the reason.  (Not booze or anything like that, but that is of course under investigation.)

Serious leg injuries;  the reports include compound fracture of the leg, plus extensive crush injuries.  My understanding is, crush injuries are VERY slow to heal.  Ever significantly bruise something?  Takes quite a while to heal...and crush injuries are bruising on steroids.  And, of course, a compound fracture is never good.  On top of that, one has to think his back issues won't be helped by movement issues during the rehab from this.  

The good news for Tiger fans is, they aren't life-threatening at this point...altho a compound fracture risks Bad Things, and I gotta worry that crush injuries, which I think disrupt circulation locally, raise the risk of this...but the bad news is, I think his PGA career may well be over.  

Tiger update from ESPN:

MASSIVE problems.  One leg:  compound fractures of BOTH tibia and fibula.  Other leg:  shattered ankle.  Their word.  As I thought, vascular issues are feared to make life just that much nastier.  Today was about stabilizing things.  Further surgery is going to be required.

They're not giving any kind of timeline, as it's FAR too early, but I'm guessing 2 years...if things go well.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

So, it looks like we're talking Alex Smith level or worse.

From what I've heard, significantly worse.  I'm not a doctor at all, mind, but I do pay attention to this sort of thing.

Head of the medical center gave a few details I'd not heard.  Leg fractures are comminuted...I hadda look it up.  It means broken or splintered in more than one place.  A "shattered" ankle is a mess to fix, because of all the small bones, and because it's weight-bearing.  AND then the vascular issues.  

Smith's problem was an infection related to the damage, that itself nearly killed him...I think that's not overstating it.  Here, I *think* a major concern will be actual necrosis due to blood flow issues, as well as infection.  And...ohhh damn...I just realized, he's wheelchair-bound for at least 6 months, and probably longer because it's very likely that there will have to be several procedures to fully, properly set the breaks after the swelling goes down, then clean up the mess later...and that's not counting the ankle.  Both bones in the one leg, that's a full leg cast.  AND the ankle cast on the other leg.  I could be wrong but I can't see crutches.  The reason this concerns me is lack of activity, ON TOP OF the vascular damage.

He is apparently now awake and responsive.

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

From what I've heard, significantly worse.  I'm not a doctor at all, mind, but I do pay attention to this sort of thing.

Head of the medical center gave a few details I'd not heard.  Leg fractures are comminuted...I hadda look it up.  It means broken or splintered in more than one place.  A "shattered" ankle is a mess to fix, because of all the small bones, and because it's weight-bearing.  AND then the vascular issues.  

Smith's problem was an infection related to the damage, that itself nearly killed him...I think that's not overstating it.  Here, I *think* a major concern will be actual necrosis due to blood flow issues, as well as infection.  And...ohhh damn...I just realized, he's wheelchair-bound for at least 6 months, and probably longer because it's very likely that there will have to be several procedures to fully, properly set the breaks after the swelling goes down, then clean up the mess later...and that's not counting the ankle.  Both bones in the one leg, that's a full leg cast.  AND the ankle cast on the other leg.  I could be wrong but I can't see crutches.  The reason this concerns me is lack of activity, ON TOP OF the vascular damage.

He is apparently now awake and responsive.

Displaced fracture of both leg bones means plates and screws. Not sure if a cast can even be put on over that.