Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

The only thing that bugs me about Cap's costumes is that some of them have stripes that aren't simply straight stripes, but skinny stripes with wider sections.

I thought they did a good job adapting Psylock's costume, though Olivia Munn had a few funny comments on the process of getting into it. (Conan interview of same available on YouTube.) Though to be honest, I liked her pre-bodyswap armored costume with the hood better.

As for Captain Marvel, I agree they made a good choice out of the options available. I do like the black one with the zig-zag in comics, but don't think it'd translate to an MCU movie, especially what we've seen of the previews.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd heard that about the projections.  I'd like some proof/reference of the Brie Larson alienating potential customers stuff though.

The 'massively overpowered' info was rumored early on and I complained about it then and I'm still unhappy about it.  I heard a short interview where Larson mentioned she can 'move planets'...umm no thank you.

To be fair, if Captain Marvel is going to end up as the Fetch of the Marvel Movie Universe (as in 'stop trying to make Fetch happen, it's not going to happen') then they're following in the vein of Marvel comics itself. Which has really pushed her with varying degrees of success (I would say more comic readers know OF her but she's hardly equal to Wolverine, Spider-Man etc). This  could blow up in Marvel Studios faces, or the estimation could be a sign that they're smart enough to not expect too much of a relative (to the mainstream) unknown heroine... ie more Dr. Strange Solo movie money less Black Panther money as others have said. A good script can salvage a superman level powerset by showing us 'mo power, mo' problems' or other counterbalance, so that's not necessarily a film killer but it is a danger. 

I'm not surprised that any hint of a feminist slant to the movie would have the anti-feminist backlash arriving in force to spread FUD just when the trailer campaign is winding up to full speed in front of the movie's release in theaters. And to my eyes, that's all this is. The press always has two sides that fight it out over any story or issue, and this movie is no exception. Will it be an "important" movie the way Wonder Woman and Black Panther were? Will it break $100M in its opening weekend, proving that female-led superhero movies are a viable sub-niche? Or will it be "too much Grrl Power" for mainstream male audiences, causing it crash and burn at the box office? Only time will tell, but one thing is for sure. You can count on the press to stir the pot and spin this into a controversy-laden question they can milk pointlessly for weeks.

The moron who wrote that article whines at length about Larson's hatred of white males, because of a comment she made about being interviewed mostly by white males. Here's what she actually said:

About a year ago, I started paying attention to what my press days looked like and the critics reviewing movies, and noticed it appeared to be overwhelmingly white male. So, I spoke to Dr Stacy Smith at the USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative, who put together a study to confirm that. Moving forward, I decided to make sure my press days were more inclusive. After speaking with you, the film critic Valerie Complex and a few other women of colour, it sounded like across the board they weren’t getting the same opportunities as others. When I talked to the facilities that weren’t providing it, they all had different excuses

She's clearly out of control. :rolleyes:

I think the film is being hurt more by Brie Larson not being terribly charismatic and the trailers not being very funny, exciting, or interesting.  Its not often I watch a marvel trailer and go "meh" but this one didn't reach me at all.  Even Iron Man 3, which I thought was awful, had a trailer that made me interested.  Disappointed in the theater, but at least it made me want to see the movie.  I doubt the political stuff is having a huge impact, although people trying to make it into something it is not probably doesn't help.  Its a popcorn movie about a woman who can fly and shoot blasts out of her fists, not some grand statement about humanity or women.

To the extent it might be having a negative effect, well that's the flip side of that kind of marketing: if you try to make your film a social justice event instead of just fun entertainment, sometimes that can hurt you more than help. Worked with Black Panther, maybe not with Captain Marvel.

At risk of stating the obvious- A lot depends on the director and script playing to shore up an actors weak points and playing up their strengths. Aquaman , for example, Jason is solid but hardly an oscar caliber star (Sorry, fans) but the direction and script played to his strong points and shored up weak points (IMO).

I'm still not convinced of Larson being the best casting choice, but not because of her activism or anything else off screen.

Yeah, she might surprise us all, but doesn't seem great.  And if she was great, I wouldn't really care about her off screen antics.  I mean Robert Downey jr has said some pretty controversial things in the past and people still love him.  If you're good enough at what you do and entertaining enough, people can put up with the nonsense.  Its kind of like in Bull Durham when Costner lectures Paul Robbins on his shower shoes and being in the big leagues.

One wonders how professional sports remain solvent in a milieu of supers.

My family is dying to see Captain Marvel.  I confess I've been avoiding the trailers, as is my custom for movies that I assume I'm going to see in the theater regardless, so I have no idea if they're any good or not.

I just read a very early superman story where he plays football for a college.  And he's not even shy about using his superpowers, its ridiculous.  Those early Superman comics are hilariously inappropriate in many ways for the character as he is today.

I confess I've been avoiding the trailers, as is my custom for movies that I assume I'm going to see in the theater regardless

Probably a good policy, given how spoilery trailers are getting.

Robert Downey Jr. was a Hollywood bad boy, and everyone seems to love those. Brie Larson, on the other hand, is getting painted as an SJW activist at a time when gender politics are especially divisive in this country. That's not going to play well to those who are exhausted by all the socio-political maneuvering going on in Hollywood right now.

I am largely underwhelmed by the trailers as well, and am hoping the movie will be a lot better than the trailers suggest. I never cared for the Brie Larson casting; I am in the camp that wanted to see someone far more charismatic like Charlize Theron. And while I understand that Theron wasn't available or wasn't interested, that doesn't make Larson a good choice. One has to wonder how she ended up regarded as the best alternative to (someone like) Theron.

8 hours ago, Old Man said:

One wonders how professional sports remain solvent in a milieu of supers.

In my supers campaign, it as a minor background/world building point that professional sports as we know them in the real world died out in the '90s. The "steroid era" was heightened with the "metahuman" issue, and any player who was better than the rest got tarred and feathered with accusations of being "too good to be human" and that there was no level playing field. This, combined with increasingly open and visual superheroics that made human athletes seem lame... it all combined to implode the "professional sports industry."  Michael Jordan was one of the last big names, and he is more known as having to fend off tons of accusations of being metahuman, than being a great athlete/player.

Just a fun aside in our game, which was more of a "people with powers" than traditional superheroes. The effects of a burgeoning population of superhumans on earth was catastrophic and transformative over the many years of the campaign... so this "death of professional sports" was just a footnote.

25 minutes ago, zslane said:

Robert Downey Jr. was a Hollywood bad boy, and everyone seems to love those. Brie Larson, on the other hand, is getting painted as an SJW activist at a time when gender politics are especially divisive in this country. That's not going to play well to those who are exhausted by all the socio-political maneuvering going on in Hollywood right now.

I am largely underwhelmed by the trailers as well, and am hoping the movie will be a lot better than the trailers suggest. I never cared for the Brie Larson casting; I am in the camp that wanted to see someone far more charismatic like Charlize Theron. And while I understand that Theron wasn't available or wasn't interested, that doesn't make Larson a good choice. One has to wonder how she ended up regarded as the best alternative to (someone like) Theron.

So regarded that they signed her to a 7 pic deal.  MCU fans should get used to seeing a lot of her, I guess.  Hopefully in the context of the movie she will start to whelm instead of continuing to underwhelm.