Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

My guess is that Marvel does about 20-30 movies every 10 years, for the next 20 years, then reboots the whole cinematic universe as the actors age out and the audience demographics shift.  That would make it by far the longest continuous film series in the west, outside of some old cliffhanger serials of the 20s, 30s and 40s.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

I just wished they dropped the FF ethos (names, etc). It then would have been a nice pastiche.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment. Unfortunately, they know that their crappy movie won't be seen by anyone unless they appropriate the names and use them as nerd-culture-bait to get fans into theaters.

Saw Ant Man & the Wasp finally.  It was okay, entertaining but light weight.  Not a lot of dramatic tension in the movie being about trying to get someone's mom out of somewhere inexplicable that you've never seen and have no emotional connection with.  The truth serum scenes were funny, wish they'd have had Wasp spend more time blasting and flying and less leaping around martial artsing.  She was basically Ant-Man, without ants (meh) and with flight and blast, but a better martial artist.  It was like having Rambo be a sidekick in a movie about Rambo.  Rambo AND Superman!  You sit over there, John.  Don't even wear the costume.  Someone else can wear it a while, though.

Particularly annoying was the inexplicable use of fake CGI young faces on Fishburne and Douglas.  We know what they looked like as younger men, we've seen them in dozens of films.  Why on earth didn't they model the young faces on, you know, younger versions of these actual men???

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Why on earth didn't they model the young faces on, you know, younger versions of these actual men???

They probably tried to. For some reason this is still very, very hard to pull off convincingly.

I remember watching dailies of the shots featuring CGI young Jeff Bridges in Tron: Legacy and wondering why we couldn't make him as convincing as all the CGI aged Brad Pitts we'd done for Benjamin Button. The CG models were okay, I guess, but the facial animation was just plain bad. Part of it, I believe, may have had to do with the fact that Jeff Bridges refused to do all the facial capture stuff that Brad Pitt did (quite enthusiastically I might add), which left CLU lacking a certain realism you really only get from solid performance capture sessions.

I think I was even more amazed that 6 years later ILM failed to produce a CGI young Carry Fischer that was any more convincing than our CGI young Jeff Bridges. The uncanny valley is immensely deep and more difficult to climb out of than even I imagined.