DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Oh, and just in my defense, I never said I disliked or stopped reading comics in the Eighties. Lots of my favorites came out in that era, including stuff mentioned on this thread. :thumbup:

But to be honest, I haven't actually bought any comics since the Avengers/JLA crossover of 2003-2004. Seen a few, yes; but never put my money down for them. I'm actually pretty behind in developments in the Big Two over this millennium.

But. I kind of like Chris Pine?

*Ducks*

Chris Pine isn't that bad. He's just not that good either. He is a mediocre actor that plays himself in every role I've seen him in. And unlike Will Smith, Tom Cruise, or Morgan Freeman, he just doesn't have that much personal charisma to carry his one role act. Everything I've seen from the trailers tells me I am going to see another rendition of James Tiberius Jack Kirk-Ryan. It will be tolerable, but also probably distracting. 

It's weird because other actors (and directors too for that matter) just fall all over themselves praising Chris Pine and his talent and superstar potential. I don't see it, but maybe I'm just missing something subtle (and subtley brilliant) about him.

In the end I doubt he will bring the WW movie down, but it is sort of a shame that Gal Gadot will have to carry him for 2 hours.

Oh, and just in my defense, I never said I disliked or stopped reading comics in the Eighties. Lots of my favorites came out in that era, including stuff mentioned on this thread. :thumbup:

Truly, comics have gone downhill since the scene in Marshal Law Takes Manhattan with street people roasting a child molester over the flames of the eternally-burning-alive Human Torch parody wasn't enough to win the character a major distributor sequel. Now there's a comic book universe that needs some movies! 

Sorry, that probably sounds like trolling, which is not my intent.* Lots of good stuff did come out of the 80s and 90s, including many of the better deconstructions of the genre. The problem is the people who can't do it right, trying to do it. Even there, I've just re-watched Everything Great About Ultimate Batman v Superman, and while I cannot get behind the idea that it's a "great movie," it's certainly on the money on the problem of studio recuts. It's beginning to look like Warner Brothers' problem is that it's giving off the flop sweat of desperation, and it's drawing assorted script doctors, like sharks to blood, etc. 

I'm sure that someone smells money to be made from getting themselves into the middle of Jenkins' Wonder Woman, and there are probably people angling for a purge in the Warner Brothers' C suite at this point, too. 

*Aquaman, Commander Ryker, Chris Pines, etc., etc. 

Gal's portrayal of Diana Prince may have been weak, but her moments as Wonder Woman were pretty badass, weren't they? I mean, those few minutes are almost universally praised as the best of the film. But I think all the scenes of her in her secret identity were obligatory and given no dramatic substance. I'm not sure how much we can really lay the blame at Gal's feet for that.

Speaking of hope-vs-fear, I finally got around to seeing X-Men Apocalypse. (tl;dr - not bad!) It's interesting that a movie that featured global death and destruction, in a franchise built entirely around the concept of humans fearing people with powers, still managed to find an optimistic hopeful note to end on.

And speaking of BvS, I saw they released an Extended Cut on DVD. Someone let me know if it actually improves things, or just prolongs the agony.

I haven't seen it, but what I've heard is that the majority of the nearly half-hour added involves Clark Kent/Superman; including scenes of Clark going to Gotham to investigate the Batman.

One critic made an interesting observation. He described the theatrical version of BvS as being a Batman movie, with Superman as a major character. Whereas the extended version is a Superman movie, with Batman as a major character. (Said critic liked, not loved, both versions.)

Lots of good stuff did come out of the 80s and 90s, including many of the better deconstructions of the genre. The problem is the people who can't do it right, trying to do it.

That sounds like a great description of every commercial success, ever.

How many 1940's Supers sucked? When Magic: The Gathering made money, Collectible Card Games came out of the woodwork. Most sucked. How many MMO's released once titles like WoW started making money sucked?

When someone does it right, and it sells, lots of people leap on the bandwagon and do it wrong.

[i'm flashing back to the mid-80s when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were big - how many quasi-parodies showed up? "Lean, Mean, Dirty Gene Kung Fu Kangaroos" is the title stuck in my brain.

I never had a problem with the ending of Dark Knight. Batman's rep suffers but you could never question his personal ethics. I actually thought it was a brilliant sacrifice on his part.

It's a sacrifice he doesn't have to make. Just say the joker killed those cops. And that lady cop survived, so at least she knows that it was really Dent.

It's a sacrifice he doesn't have to make. Just say the joker killed those cops. And that lady cop survived, so at least she knows that it was really Dent.

Heard that before...that still doesn't explain a dead Dent with only Batman and Gordon in the area, and Joker already in police custody.  With the police only searching for Batman, the obvious and more believable choice for the public is to blame Batman for the killing spree and the death of Dent.  The argument to lie and blame Joker is possible, but its just as plausible to blame Batman and far more poetic.  Its also a perfect way for Bruce to retire as Batman which a part of him is begging to do.