Cassandra

The Coming Epic Failure of the DC Movie Universe

I don't mind the tone at all, or really that they're doing a shtick or two that have been done before. The execution just leaves me cold. It could just be that I was in a bad mood when I watched it, but the humor didn't resonate with me. Then again, an early trailer isn't the final product, and I like Levi, so I'll probably check it out at least on streaming or Red Box. Maybe theater if the reviews are positive.

I think the DCAU version of the character got it pretty much spot on. They had a light-hearted approach to the character that contrasted well with the other characters in the setting. I'm thinking of the animated movie with Captain Marvel and Superman. I also liked how he was handled on Young Justice. Both approaches seemed to be pretty good modernizations of the character.

As far as the comparisons to Big . . . I think they're inevitable. The first thing my wife said when she saw the trailer was "It's like Big." She's not really familiar with the character at all, and didn't even know about his transformation. So, there's the bulk of the non-comic reading audience's reaction right there.

9 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

So, my wife just showed it to me, and was both excited, "I love mermaid stuff! It looks so pretty! Jason Momoa is beautiful!" and disappointed, "Oh my god, the writing and dialogue is terrible!" at the same time.

Last night, I noticed Justice League was finally free on HBO, so I watched it... tried to watch it. "Oh my god, the writing and dialogue is terrible!" JL was groan worthy from the very first scene, and never let up. All they do is pose and say stupid, drawn out, one liners that aren't even remotely funny. The direction is so static and fake looking... they sexualize all the Amazons, added in lingering shots of Diana's butt, Flash is annoying and needlessly on the autistic spectrum... like they thought, "We need a Drax like guy for this movie." Steppenwolf is like an action figure stop motion, he looks so fake. Mother Box is evil? What? 

I kept stopping the movie and smh and doing something else, then coming back and seeing if I could farther... groan, repeat. I got to the part where they have to spend all the setup for a silly moment of the Flash zapping a box to make Superman come out of some soup... I'm really not sure... and then he is standing there, and suddenly all the others are posed in a line behind him (wha?") and they all stand there staring for a while, then Wonder Woman gets to deliver this big dramatic... "He's back." line that is like.... oh god... 

I turned it off. That was attrocious, and the kind of thing that makes me embarrassed to be a comics geek, since it is all the horrible fan boy tropes and awfulness in one place. The fact that this movie made 800 dollars, let alone 800 million is just more evidence that humanity is a disgrace.

I'm not going to try to persuade you that Justice League was a good movie . Indeed, my impression of it as I came out of the theater was, "Wow, that didn't suck nearly as hard as I expected."  The only reason I paid to see it was because Wonder Woman was above average and I wanted to see what they could salvage from the reshoots without Snyder(sympathies to the family but the man doesn't grok the genre).

Justice League was not a masterpiece by any means. The constant flexing and posing, the annoying Flash and the CGI Villain were all just bad but there was some decent characterization and while the plan to bring back Superman was forced( When are they going to station some security inside that alien spaceship site?), it was decently executed. Batman was redeemed from the murderous lunatic of BvS and the post-credit scene was nice. 

That's why I said that the new trailers gave me hope. They are different in tone(and color palette) from the previous DCEU , so maybe they are starting to get the hang of it. I'll probably see Aquaman but if it disappoints then Shazam will be a wait for cable movie for me. And any subsequent DECU movie will have to preceded by either fantastic word of mouth  or reviews from people I trust before I venture to the theaters(with a possible exception for WW 2).

Last night, I noticed Justice League was finally free on HBO, so I watched it... tried to watch it. "Oh my god, the writing and dialogue is terrible!" JL was groan worthy from the very first scene, and never let up. All they do is pose and say stupid, drawn out, one liners that aren't even remotely funny. The direction is so static and fake looking... they sexualize all the Amazons, added in lingering shots of Diana's butt, Flash is annoying and needlessly on the autistic spectrum... like they thought, "We need a Drax like guy for this movie." Steppenwolf is like an action figure stop motion, he looks so fake. Mother Box is evil? What? 

That and a lot of other things are why I didn't care for Justice League, even though it had enough decent parts that I'd watch it again.  But as others more talented and perceptive than I have pointed out, DC is terrible at action scenes, they just cannot do them right, and it shows every single time.