DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

One of the things I liked about the original Schumacher Batman with Michael Keaton was that Bruce had to figure out what the Joker's plan was, especially the mixing of the chemicals. As you said, many of Batman's rogues started as normals with elaborate plans. It's why he had to do detective work and became so good at it. Like I said, wouldn't mind seeing someone like Black Mask in this. Head of a mob gang and a plotter in his own right. Or maybe a serial killer like Professor Pyg or Zaszz. Something where Bruce had to figure out what is going on and why. Sounds funny, but I wonder if the Leto Joker wouldn't be a good villain for this, but I am tired of the Joker.

A nitpick: The original Schumacher Batman was Batman Forever with Val Kilmer. Michael Keaton's Batman was directed by Tim Burton.

Talia necessarily means Ra's al Ghul is included in the story (and while he might have somehow escaped the ridiculously destructive train crash in Batman Begins, he's probably dead).  I'd like to see Anne as Catwoman again, but the problem is timing.  She only showed up when Batman was old, crippled, and basically retired at the end of his career, which was a pretty dumb move on DC's part, but it would be odd for them to ignore that or do yet another reboot.

If they did somehow put her in the film, I want her to be actually Catwoman this time, not just a hawt burglar with goggles that kinda look like kitty ears when she's not wearing them.  DC has been good about costuming and such, except for the Batman movies where they tried to avoid much of that.

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Anne Hathaway made a fine Catwoman in The Dark Knight Rises; for that reason they might not want to use her for the upcoming movie. Likewise Talia al Ghul. Maybe Lady Shiva or Huntress would work.

Yes... I thought Hathaway nailed it in The Dark Knight Rises.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Talia necessarily means Ra's al Ghul is included in the story (and while he might have somehow escaped the ridiculously destructive train crash in Batman Begins, he's probably dead).  I'd like to see Anne as Catwoman again, but the problem is timing.  She only showed up when Batman was old, crippled, and basically retired at the end of his career, which was a pretty dumb move on DC's part, but it would be odd for them to ignore that or do yet another reboot.

If they did somehow put her in the film, I want her to be actually Catwoman this time, not just a hawt burglar with goggles that kinda look like kitty ears when she's not wearing them.  DC has been good about costuming and such, except for the Batman movies where they tried to avoid much of that.

I didn't think the Nolan Batman movies had anything to do with the current trainwre... er... DCEU movies. Are we supposed to think Batfleck is somehow the slightly older, returned version of Bale's Batman?

He was never actually named onscreen, was he? Just summarily executed for shock value with no respects paid afterwards and zero connection to Clark Kent?

I'm proceeding with the assumption that Jenny from Man of Steel is a gender-swapped version of the character until something different is said or shown in a movie theater.

23 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

He was never actually named onscreen, was he? Just summarily executed for shock value with no respects paid afterwards and zero connection to Clark Kent?

I'm proceeding with the assumption that Jenny from Man of Steel is a gender-swapped version of the character until something different is said or shown in a movie theater.

The extended scene on DVD clarifies it's him. Snyder just did not get the purpose of Jimmy

“We just did it as this little aside because we had been tracking where we thought the movies were gonna go,” he told EW. “And we don’t have room for Jimmy Olsen in our big pantheon of characters, but we can have fun with him, right?”

Honestly, I liked some somethings in Batman V Superman and have defended some of his DC work, but the Extended DVD shows it is Jimmy..and I made the mistake on watching that. Snyder did fine on Watchmen, but he does not understand Superman or his universe at all. 

I think Snyder was just the next in the series of auteur directors handed a DC movie franchise and given free reign to subvert audience expectations. Like Kathleen Kennedy, who doesn't "get" Star Wars and doesn't want to produce movies that Star Wars fans can truly appreciate, Snyder doesn't really get the superhero genre or have much interest in making superhero movies that comic book fans would truly appreciate. Watchmen was a subversion of the genre, rather than a celebration of it, which fit into Snyder's philosophical wheelhouse nicely. But as soon as he was faced with doing superheroes "for real", he just couldn't step into that paradigm, and ended up making a superhero movie that had more in common with The 300 or Sucker Punch than Superman: The Movie.

I agree.  Zach Snyder is great in his element, and he should stay there.  I mean nobody would hire Hitchcock to do a Marx Brothers movie.  That doesn't mean Hitch was a lousy director, just that he had his specialty and was good at that, but not everything.  Keep Snyder for Snyder-type stories, not Superman for crying out loud.

That's why I say DC doesn't seem to understand their characters, and they need someone like Feige, who for all his limitations and flaws, really does seem to love and enjoy comic books, and knows their history and tone.  It takes someone or some group like that who gets the overall vision and can oversee in in the movies to make sure you don't end up with, well, Suicide Squad.  This little sequence kind of shows the way that Superman was approached, I think:

Star-Trek.jpg

I feel that DC's compulsion to avoid a conventional superhero tone for the DCEU stems from two misguided beliefs: first, that they must somehow "innovate" (i.e., stray far from expected norms) in the genre in order to have success, and second, that they must avoid a classic superhero tone because that's what Marvel has been doing and it would be box office suicide to do the same thing and not have a distinct cinematic identity. The recent shift in tone, as seen in Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam!, strongly suggests (to me, anyway) that DC has learned just how costly that misguided thinking has been for them.

7 hours ago, zslane said:

Like Kathleen Kennedy, who doesn't "get" Star Wars and doesn't want to produce movies that Star Wars fans can truly appreciate,

I've never really had a problem with Kathleen Kennedy producing, and I really enjoyed Raiders of the Lost ArkJurassic Park, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future I, II, III, The Goonies, Poltergeist, and even Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Heck, there are probably a bunch more in the over 60 films that she's worked on.

We keep saying DC, but there might be the real difference between Marvel and DC. With Marvel, they created their own studio and appear, although owned by Disney, to not be being meddled with much by their overlords (movies, not tv). With DC, I have always felt it was Warner Bros calling the shots and not a "separate" group, no matter who was in charge. So as you say, putting Snyder in charge of a series of deconstruction movies makes sense, but putting him in charge because he has made other movies make money seemed like a corporate decision, not a "create our own universe" method. In some ways, reminds me of the Monster Universe (DRacula, Mummy, Invisible Man etc) that was tried, where each one was going to be the beginning. I like that they now seem to be changing direction, but until WB stops interfering, I am not sure we will actually get the universe we want.