Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found her quite interesting in the comics lately where she was trying to balance her duties as Queen of Themiscyra, as Goddess of War and as a found member of the League. And she was failing with a coup de tate brewing on Paradise Island, with warfare going out of control without her direct guidance, with a growing rift between herself and batman over Wonder Womans violent methods and with the psychic energy of becoming a War Goddess effecting her psyche and making her more violent and bloodthirsty in battle. There was a lot of craziness going on in her solo comic. I'm not sure how it has changed since the reboot though.

I found her quite interesting in the comics lately where she was trying to balance her duties as Queen of Themiscyra, as Goddess of War and as a found member of the League. And she was failing with a coup de tate brewing on Paradise Island, with warfare going out of control without her direct guidance, with a growing rift between herself and batman over Wonder Womans violent methods and with the psychic energy of becoming a War Goddess effecting her psyche and making her more violent and bloodthirsty in battle. There was a lot of craziness going on in her solo comic. I'm not sure how it has changed since the reboot though.

You lost me with the description of Wonder Woman as a War Goddess.  Given that her character has always been about peace, to the point that Ares the Greek god of War was one of her direst foes, I think that's facepalm worthy.

And she actually was using her role as Goddess of War to try to curb the violence of war. Was causing a problem between her and the goddess of Peace, as the one took offense at Diana playing both roles. Course, the Goddess of War was also upset at Ares being gone.

I'm assuming that all her fighting prowess was acquired while fighting in wars against the Olympian gods or something. Because aren't the Amazons completely isolated from worldly affairs on Themyscira? I mean, in the movie they act like they've never seen/interacted with human men before...

You lost me with the description of Wonder Woman as a War Goddess. Given that her character has always been about peace, to the point that Ares the Greek god of War was one of her direst foes, I think that's facepalm worthy.

She finally defeated Ares and as a result, had to take the office or else the position would go unfilled. This resulted in the power of being Goddess of War making her more war-like.

I'm assuming that all her fighting prowess was acquired while fighting in wars against the Olympian gods or something. Because aren't the Amazons completely isolated from worldly affairs on Themyscira? I mean, in the movie they act like they've never seen/interacted with human men before...

Amazons also don't age while on Themyscira, so Diana had tutors who did plenty of real fighting back in the day, when they still lived in Man's World.

She finally defeated Ares and as a result, had to take the office or else the position would go unfilled. This resulted in the power of being Goddess of War making her more war-like.

But, she's defeated him before and not had to take a position anathema to her character.

But, she's defeated him before and not had to take a position anathema to her character.

Athena was also a goddess of war (specifically, strategy of war where Ares was more about carnage and slaughter). I think Athena is the Greek deity closest to Wonder Woman. "Merciful Minerva", she is slow to anger, and fights only for just causes. That sounds like both the Greek Goddess and the classic superheroine to me.

Especially over the past 30 years, since WW has been shown to be trained in the use of weaponry (the sword being most common), and not afraid to use them to lethal effect when called for. She posed a rhetorical question in recent continuity as to why she doesn't have an extensive colourful rogues' gallery like Bats and Supes - because she deals with her enemies.

I think the push to violence as a first choice, and a shift from strategic use of force for just causes only, to the minimum possible extent, is something the character is now struggling with - challenges are also required for a good story. But I don't think "Goddess of War" is far off the classic Wonder Woman character - it's certainly not a polar opposite.

She is an Amazon. From basic knowledge of Greek myth it is not far to suggest a a female warrior culture would idealise Pallas Athena or even worship her -- superhero tropes notwithstanding.

I used to have a pallid bust of Pallis just above my chamber door. I'm not quite sure what happened to it.

Surbrook's Wonder Woman write up gives her the following Limitation:

10 Psychological Limitation:  Militant Background and Bearing conflicts with Hippie Ideals (Uncommon, Strong)

I always thought that nicely summed up the dichotomy at the core of her character. Similarly, there was an old comic (Silver Age I think?) where Diana says something like: "The better you can fight, the less you have to." To me, that's always been who WW is supposed to be - an accomplished diplomat dedicated to finding peaceful solutions to problems, but who is realistic enough to recognize that in order for peace and justice to work, someone has to be willing to hold back the monsters.

Unfortunately, most writers seem to just pick one aspect and run with it, rather than trying to highlight the balance between the two. But then that type of moral complexity hasn't typically been DC's strong suit. Certainly the New 52 amped up Diana's "Warrior" dial significantly, but then that's in keeping with the whole tone of the New 52 where even Supes had anger management problems. [shakes head]

Amazons also don't age while on Themyscira, so Diana had tutors who did plenty of real fighting back in the day, when they still lived in Man's World.

I guess that when it comes to Greek gods, tutoring is all one needs to become completely battle-worthy. Feh.