Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that the primary villain in WW2 will be a woman. Which one? Hard to say.

Given we have established Greek mythology, Circe seems like a good choice. Actually, she could also be used as a maguffin to bring in the Cheetah if we want two baddies.

PLEASE not a "bad amazon"!!!

It's insoluble by us whether the cause was lack of research, or the writers concluding that bending historical accuracy better supported the story they wanted to tell. As you say, in neither case does it significantly detract from a damn fine movie.

I suspect it was a case of both. With a little bit more (or better) research, they could have easily known about and chosen either Goeben or Breslau instead of Schwaben for the ship's name, seeing as how both of the former were actually deployed to that region, whereas the latter was not. And I would say that bending historical accuracy, at least in terms of the number of men that could be landed from a light cruiser in a single rotation, was done to support a bigger beach battle (i.e., in service to bigger spectacle).

Of course, military realism was not much of a priority for this movie (it's a comic-book movie after all); I think if it were, Diana would have had a much harder time of it in No Man's Land, for instance. German defensive tactics were designed to produce multiple crossing lines of fire to the flanks, not just the front, of any significant target (like a mass of advancing troops, a tank, or an Amazonian warrior princess). And there would have been supporting artillery fire too. She would have needed a much bigger shield to protect herself from all that, but fortunately for her the Germans in the trenches weren't doing what they were trained to do.

A cursory review of WW's rogues gallery turns up such classics as Angle Man and Egg Fu.

I've heard people sqwawking "But Racism!" over the movie featuring Middle Eastern and Native American characters (apparently missing the part about them being sensitively treated characters with some dimension rather than racial stereotypes). I don't want to see what would happen if the filmmakers were crazy enough to feature Egg Fu in a sequel.

If Zeus could have a child who was raised in secret until it was time for her debut, I don't see why Ares couldn't have had one, too.

If we do agree on the desirability of using a female villain for WW II, the Justice League movie is introducing Darkseid, and presumably Apokolips. That could open the way to using Granny Goodness and the Furies.

Circe, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Cyber, Dr. Psycho, any of these could be good villains for a Wonder Woman movie.  Sure not all Wonder Woman's villains are good but even Batman had to deal with losers like The Condiment King and Penny Plunderer from time to time.  Focus on the high points, not the low points.

Begging your pardon Mr. Taylor, but I think you mean Kate Bosworth--who to my mind was a better Lois Lane than Amy Adams.

You're right, thanks!  Makes sense she was paid more, since it was Lois Lane: the movie.

I too wasn't impressed with Kidder, she seemed the weak point in the Christopher Reeves Superman films 

I'd forgotten "Angle Man" I must admit. Would they have him with the "Angler" device, and how would it work on film ?

If memory serves it's a reality warping device, so I'd imagine it'd be some Inception style special effects.  In theory it's a villain power that could end up looking better in a movie then it does in the comics.  That being said unless they've got a really good story for him, he's probably better as a henchman then a main villain.

Just got back from seeing it.

It's about as close to a perfect super hero movie as I've seen.

Some random thoughts:

The two younger versions of Diana were well cast, IMO.

Diana and Steve had really good chemistry. Their romcom bits seemed pulled from a 50s movie. 

I'm kind of disappointed that they disposed of Steve Trevor in the first movie. It worked for the story, but I wouldn't have minded more movies set in the past with him in them. He's a fairly major supporting character (or at least was, no idea what's going on these days), and since it really worked on screen, it's a shame to see him go so early.

I liked the way they worked some of her references in: Back story of being made of clay, then reveal of real backstory (retcon in the comics), her introduction setting up her secret ID name (which was spoiled by the trailers), Steve not being able to pronounce Themyscira, so just calling the island Paradise Island in a later scene, etc.

Loved Etta. Got it just right.

The crossing of No Man's Land was pretty epic. It seemed like a good example of a super hero at war.

I was not expecting the force she hit the bell tower with when she took out the sniper.

Dr. Poison was a good pick for the time period. Super-Chemistry via divine inspiration works well and fits the setting.

Ares reveal was telegraphed the second the actor walked on screen the second time.

Maru said she had the formula Herr Badguy was juicing with "come to her" the night before, so not her. She's clearly getting divine inspiration, so not the god. Herr Badguy is juicing with the gas to get his power, which Ares wouldn't do. Diana's insistence that he's Ares with no evidence is clearly part of her maturation arc, so he's not it. On the good guy side, we can immediately rule out Diana and Steve. Etta's pretty easy to rule out, though I think she'd make an awesome Ares. That leaves just Steve's Three Amigos and the British Guy. She seems really fond of the picture, and not just for Steve's sake, plus they're not really in a position to influence events. Leaving only one guy with a speaking part and the ability to influence events. The other option would be that she was wrong about Ares still being alive, which would be too much of a blow for her, plus I knew she killed Ares in the comics at some point. (Though that's probably been retconned and re-retconned by now knowing DC.) So, telegraphed, but it did fit the storyline.

Ares speech about being the God of Truth made sense in context. He was trying to show the other gods the truth (his version of the truth, but still), and War was just the means to his end. The one weak point in it for me was that while we get to see how twisted Ares' worldview was, we didn't see much of how it got that way. I'm OK with that, because he was really there to serve as a contrast to Diana and help her form her own views and grow into her own maturity.

I noticed a few little glitches, but not so much any of the historical things. Mayyybe one or two, but not enough to throw me out of the narrative.

And, of course, Gal Gadot was pitch perfect as Wonder Woman, from the comedic bits, to the action bits, to the range of emotion she can show with her face and body language. And f*** that reviewer who didn't like how she delivered her dialog. It's called an accent, FFS.

I'm hoping the lesson Warner has learned from the success of this movie is the same one Marvel Studios has always known: get people to helm your comic-book movies who understand and respect these characters and their histories, and who enjoy telling the kinds of stories they appear in in the comics. That way you're playing to the strengths of your property.

Perhaps too soon to mention, but with the recent family tragedy Mr. Snyder has endured, I would personally not like to see whatever pathos develops, make it onto a comic book movie. I think he should probably make a couple of really dark exploration of the human soul movies as part of his emotional recovery before even thinking about returning to the comic book scene. I can only imagine the turmoil he is going through and I feel for him. I just don't want that to reflect on the DC movies.

Diana and Steve had really good chemistry. Their romcom bits seemed pulled from a 50s movie.

Totally. Their repartee and their outfits are right out of His Girl Friday

I was not expecting the force she hit the bell tower with when she took out the sniper.

Oh, but it was glorious! Amiright?

And, of course, Gal Gadot was pitch perfect as Wonder Woman, from the comedic bits, to the action bits, to the range of emotion she can show with her face and body language. And fuck that reviewer who didn't like how she delivered her dialog. It's called an accent, FFS.

I couldn't agree more.

Yes, I was a little concerned when photos of her preparing for BvS first showed up on the web. She did look too skinny. But once they put her into her "armor", I was absolutely sold. She has the most incredible I'm-A-Total-Badass look that she summons when she's in full-on fight mode. I am utterly mesmerized by it whenever I see it. Granted, Gal Gadot happens to totally be my "type", if you will, but I also think she acted the hell out of that role. She deserves all the success this will bring her, though I do worry a little for her and how her life is inevitably going to become very difficult now that she's acquired a whole new level of world-wide fame.

Perhaps too soon to mention, but with the recent family tragedy Mr. Snyder has endured, I would personally not like to see whatever pathos develops, make it onto a comic book movie. I think he should probably make a couple of really dark exploration of the human soul movies as part of his emotional recovery before even thinking about returning to the comic book scene. I can only imagine the turmoil he is going through and I feel for him. I just don't want that to reflect on the DC movies.

The buzz I'm hearing is that Joss Whedon is not only a bigger factor in finishing Justice League than we originally assumed, but that he's being increasingly drawn into the ongoing planning and development of the DCEU. If true, that should help keep the setting from plunging into excessive angst.

If the buzz is true and Whedon has more influence on the DCEU, then I might start looking forward to more of the movies. I mean, Snyder did "ok" and I certainly don't share much of the fan angst as many people have, but the truth is that they could have been better movies. I liked them, but Wonder Woman is the first DCEU movie that I've loved and Snyder was not actively involved. Wait, does Batman Begins and Dark Knight count as DCEU? If so, I will have to revise my statement.

Gal Gadot is a former model, beauty-pageant winner, and received a lot of attention after BvS. She also has a husband and two young children to keep her grounded. If anyone is prepared for the spotlight, it's her.

Perhaps. But I had never heard of her before BvS. I don't follow beauty pageants, nor did I follow the Fast/Furious franchise far enough to have seen her on film. Surely I'm not alone in regarding her as a "fresh new talent" who has recently burst onto the scene and become a prominent figure of global pop culture. She may have had paparazzi following her occasionally prior to BvS, but she's surely got them dogging her every move now.

Nah, DECU starts with MoS and is only four movies so far. I score them as one home run(Wonder Woman), one disaster that made money(BvS), and two decent but flawed movies(MoS which was ruined by the ending and SS which had incomprehensible villains). Well behind the MCU which had IM1, IM2, Incredible Hulk and Thor to build on.