Wonder Woman

Greywind

Its just nice to have a discussion of a DC movie that is about minutae and curiosities, rather than a brutal full-scale violation of their character and the very idea of heroism and justice.

Amen to that! There are little nitpicky things I'd have preferred to have dealt with, but my only complaint of any real substance is about the videogame boss fight at the end. And likely Jenkins would have had to fight an uphill battle against the entire industry's prevailing wisdom about how these sorts of movies should be structured to do something different there. Better that she kept the stock climax but bucked the trends of deconstructing super heroes and depicting them as alienated loners in a hopeless crapsack world.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna be rough to find a bad guy to go up against that's at the level of a greek god though.  Cheetah is kinda cool but little more than a clever sneak thief, for example.

Kind of depends on what version they go with. I'm not a Wonder Woman loremaster, but cheetah's had some major power ups in some takes I've seen of her that go beyond sneak thief

Well, somewhere hot just froze over. I found someone who didn't like the movie.

Just don't tell him about the boats, tanks or planes. We wouldn't want to give the poor man a heart attack.

So, was that supposed to be bad stand-up? If so, he would have done so much better with a good routine... instead of a bad one.

Gonna be rough to find a bad guy to go up against that's at the level of a greek god though.  Cheetah is kinda cool but little more than a clever sneak thief, for example.

Cheetah has upgrades that make her latest version a stronger Wolverine with near super speed, Giganta  would be interesting as would Silver Swan or Dr. Psycho( and wouldn't Peter Dinklage be perfect here!)

Cheetah has upgrades that make her latest version a stronger Wolverine with near super speed, Giganta  would be interesting as would Silver Swan or Dr. Psycho( and wouldn't Peter Dinklage be perfect here!)

Yes, he would.

Also, don't forget Circe.  

They could even have Strife, if they wanted to make her the (post fight with Zeus) daughter of Ares rather than his sister.  Heck, if they wanted to keep the original tales around, she could simply say that her dad named her after his favorite sister.

Dr Psycho is a fascinating character, I would actually like to see him done well.  Circe is scary, and it would let them go with the female villain I'm reading they are leaning toward.

I'm hoping Ms Gadot didn't sign a multi-film contract that locks her into salary though, she can get big bucks next film if not :)

Well, somewhere hot just froze over. I found someone who didn't like the movie.

Just don't tell him about the boats, tanks or planes. We wouldn't want to give the poor man a heart attack.

On behalf of other Torontonians, I apologize.

My favorite review is from the HISHE guy

He really got the point, and expresses it very well. :thumbup:

It would seem that in this timeline, the captain of the Schwaben learned a lesson from the incident with the Titanic about having enough boats on board. Contrary to standard German naval practices, he keeps a large number of boats stashed around his ship. He's able to get away with this because in this cinematic universe, charismatic high-ranking people (like Ludendorf, for instance) get a lot of leeway. One would assume that when he sent the three boats out to look for the downed airplane, he was congratulating himself on being able to send out a force large enough to deal with Trevor (our hypothetical captain being genre-savvy enough to know that a mere dozen mooks against one dashing spy isn't good odds).

All of that relies on making up stuff that's not in the movie. As a rule, start with the historical record, then deviate where the movie shows deviation, without adding details of your own, and where do you end up? In this case, with unexplained deviations that aren't justified by what is on-screen, but can only be understood in the context of inadequate research on the part of the writing/production team.

Assuming of course that this is the Schwaben, and that in this universe the Germans didn't happen to have another ship in the Mediterranean. Or that they couldn't borrow more boats from the Turks, who were already allowing the Germans to build a secret chemical weapons plant on their soil, which also didn't happen in the real world.

You see where I'm going here. ;)

The Germans did have another ship in the Mediterranean, but it would have taken too much time to rendevous with it just to transfer extra dinghies. And they couldn't borrow boats from the Turks; the two German cruisers in the Mediterranean were given to the Turkish Navy precisely because the Turkish Navy had no vessels of their own to operate in those waters.

As I said before, the whole Schwaben thing, while fraught with problems from an historical perspective, is really not a big deal and didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the film one iota. The extraordinary effort being expended here trying to backstop the lack of research by the film's writers is quite unnecessary (and unconvincing to boot).

Yeah, that's why I feel very much the same as bigdamnhero does, which is that when a movie like Wonder Woman is so good in nearly all respects, it becomes all the more noticeable in those rare instances where it stumbles.

I'm hoping Ms Gadot didn't sign a multi-film contract that locks her into salary though, she can get big bucks next film if not :)

3 picture deal, lots of press talking about gender disparity comparing her $300k base to her male co-star salaries.

Not entirely fair though, the salaries they are comparing include the male actor bonuses from box office returns (which she gets as well).

Ms. Gadot is about to become very, very rich. Henry Cavil made $14M from Man of Steel after the bonuses. She might not make quite that, but I'd speculate my entire life income won't be what she'll bring in. And talks about renegotiation are already in the works.

As I said before, the whole Schwaben thing, while fraught with problems from an historical perspective, is really not a big deal and didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the film one iota. The extraordinary effort being expended here trying to backstop the lack of research by the film's writers is quite unnecessary (and unconvincing to boot).

In that case, I owe you an apology for having come to believe you were pointing out the historical inconsistency because it was a significant issue for you. My thinking didn't do you justice. :no:

It's insoluble by us whether the cause was lack of research, or the writers concluding that bending historical accuracy better supported the story they wanted to tell. As you say, in neither case does it significantly detract from a damn fine movie.

3 picture deal, lots of press talking about gender disparity comparing her $300k base to her male co-star salaries.

Not entirely fair though, the salaries they are comparing include the male actor bonuses from box office returns (which she gets as well).

True - I heard one commentator note that Chris Evans got about the same $300k base for the first Captain America film.

True - I heard one commentator note that Chris Evans got about the same $300k base for the first Captain America film. 

Amy Adams was paid more than Brandon Routh for Superman Returns.  Why?  She was a known, established actress and he was an unknown model (I thought he did a great job myself).