Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

Thanks, Uncle. :)

Trump's endorsement numbers in Congress overall look pretty good on paper, because he mostly endorsed incumbents and safe seats (which of course he'll still take credit for). But where he pushed for election-denying nutjobs, he didn't do so well. Aides who have to deal with him claim he's been raging over that midterm result, and blaming everyone for giving him bad advice, while naturally accepting no blame himself.

13 hours ago, Ranxerox said:

Lake did not acknowledge Hobbs’ victory, instead tweeting, “Arizonans know BS when they see it.”

I dunno.  That sounds like a pretty accurate acknowledgement of Hobbs' victory (or more specifically, Arizonans' view of Lake) to me.  :winkgrin:

18 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Holy SNOT

Of all the countries, the Ruskies landed missiles in Poland, which has been Ukraine's biggest advocate (And warning folks about Russia and Putin while other countries were like 'but we can change him').

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Worse is the right word.

I am not eager to start WW3, but complete inaction or lack of response sounds like a mistake too. I think the best bet is for NATO to close the air space  over the Urkaine and use this as justification to do it then hope Russia gets 'the hint'.

But I am not a tactician, a politician, or an expert on global politics.

On today's issue of The Daily radio show, the subject is Trump's expected declaration later today that he's running for president in 2024. The reporter delivering analysis called Trump running for president the Hotel California of American politics: You can try to check out, but you can never leave because it just goes on and on.

As for the Russian missiles hitting Poland, the BBC reporting and analysis suggests this was likely an accident. There's no strategic logic to bombing a farm on the border of Ukraine, and many reasons not to do so. Either Russian targeting sucks (plausible), or a missile was knocked off course by an antimissile attack. However, Poland has invoked the NATO charter for consultation (not yet for counterattack). The Russian government, of course, insists the whole thing is a NATO hoax.

Dean Shomshak

*facepalms about Putin*

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-63593855

Russia denies any involvement in 'missile strike on Poland'

Russia has denied statements from Polish media outlets and officials that Russian missiles fell on the Polish village of Przewodó near the Ukrainian border.
The Russian ministry of defence posted on its Telegram, calling the reports "a deliberate provocation in order to escalate the situation".
"No strikes were made against targets near the Ukrainian-Polish state border by Russian means of destruction," the statement said.It said missile fragments from the scene, reportedly filmed by Polish media, did not relate to Russian weapons.

There is a nonzero chance that what landed in Poland is a Ukranian air defense missile fired to intercept a russian cruise missile that missed.

Complicating matters is the fact that Ukraine employs a number of anti aircraft missiles manufactured by russia, so figuring out whose fault it was is going to be extremely tricky.

Complicating things even further, russians have been resorting to using anti aircraft missiles (S300s for example) in land attack missions due to lack of supplies of higher grade cruise missiles.

So figuring out exactly what happened is going to be tricky. Hopefully somebody has satellite or radar tracking data that can be checked to figure out where these missiles came from.

Also, there are fires burning in Belgorod Oblast, apparently due to a misfiring russian missile(s) that failed to go where they were aimed and came down in russian territory. This is not the first time this has happened there. 

Edited by BNakagawa

You haven't lived until you see a missile do a HARD!!! slice and plow down into the ground maybe half a mile away from the launcher.

Cut my day short, tho.  Wasn't much I had to do in the aftermath;  the data I had to process, wasn't significant under the circumstances.  And of course, there wasn't very much *of* it anyway.

Yeah, these things do happen...and I rather suspect our missiles are in rather better technical shape.