Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

1 hour ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Thank you. It is disheartening (to me, anyhow) when a family member starts taking after Trump by inflating the efficacy of this drug. I have to remind them that we must live our lives as though no effective medical solution exists.

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Thank you. It is disheartening (to me, anyhow) when a family member starts taking after Trump by inflating the efficacy of this drug. I have to remind them that we must live our lives as though no effective medical solution exists.

There are many doctors saying the drug is the best bet we have short term.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25203/20200404/drug-voted-effective-coronavirus-cure-possible-6-000-doctors.htm 

And because that article is responsibly written it comes with

Not a Miracle Cure

The drug is not a miracle cure, says Dr. Ellie Cannon, a N.H.S. G.P. and Mail on Sunday health columnist. She urges everyone to stop thinking that hydroxychloroquine is the magic bullet until the drug is indeed proven to be the magic bullet.

I'm still at the "I hope it's going to be useful" stage because many of the other options aren't going to be viable for months plus or minus the convalescent antibody treatments which I don't think are allowed yet.

I saw a doctor from LA talk to a news channel and suggest that the treatment has to be combined with Zinc or it does almost nothing.

Hopefully the consensus with supporting data will coalesce quickly and people won't trust politicians for their medical advice.

Trump considering suspending funding to WHO

"They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier. They would have known and they should have known and they probably did know," Trump told reporters at a White House press briefing, suggesting the WHO failed to sufficiently warn the global community about the virus.

Yep, he's settled on a new scapegoat. :no:

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

"They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier. They would have known and they should have known and they probably did know," Trump told reporters at a White House press briefing, suggesting the WHO failed to sufficiently warn the global community about the virus.

I will say, the ball seemed to be pretty much dropped by pretty much everyone on this.  Scapegoats are childish here, though.    

25 minutes ago, Badger said:

I will say, the ball seemed to be pretty much dropped by pretty much everyone on this.  Scapegoats are childish here, though.    

Aside from Trump acting childish as a matter of course, it's always his reflex to shift any hint of blame away from himself and onto someone else.

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

There are many doctors saying the drug is the best bet we have short term.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25203/20200404/drug-voted-effective-coronavirus-cure-possible-6-000-doctors.htm 

And because that article is responsibly written it comes with

Not a Miracle Cure

The drug is not a miracle cure, says Dr. Ellie Cannon, a N.H.S. G.P. and Mail on Sunday health columnist. She urges everyone to stop thinking that hydroxychloroquine is the magic bullet until the drug is indeed proven to be the magic bullet.

I'm still at the "I hope it's going to be useful" stage because many of the other options aren't going to be viable for months plus or minus the convalescent antibody treatments which I don't think are allowed yet.

I saw a doctor from LA talk to a news channel and suggest that the treatment has to be combined with Zinc or it does almost nothing.

Hopefully the consensus with supporting data will coalesce quickly and people won't trust politicians for their medical advice.

I understand the importance of hope. I also understand that this drug is probably the best current bet for those desperate to fight off the virus. What I want is for people to keep vigilant and not let a premature assessment trick them into building a skyscraper on swampland.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Aside from Trump acting childish as a matter of course, it's always his reflex to shift any hint of blame away from himself and onto someone else.

Obviously, I know.  I am just saying a lot of people tried to ignore this until about mid-Feb at best.  So, a lot of blame to shovel around, if we go that route.

17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

As predicted. And, as usual for Trump, a big fat lie. ATC talked about this yesterday. WHO did issue warnings back in January. It's true, they did not use the word "pandemic" -- because at that time, covid-19 wasn't. "Pandemic" doesn't mean "Gosh, this is a dangerous disease." It means "This disease has spread around the world and will affect everyone." (Pan demos, "all people.")

Governments disregarded the threat. Trump actively tried to conceal it.

Dean Shomshak

15 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

Another victory for arrogance, ignorance and intolerance.

I think Bernie has done a lot to push certain causes that we really need. Nothing quite like a Pandemic and mass lay offs to make someone realize universal health care would be really nice.... and while for much of the country it was too late to vote for Bernie, more people will be promoting the ideals he supported than ever. 

*Knock on wood*

3 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I think Bernie has done a lot to push certain causes that we really need. Nothing quite like a Pandemic and mass lay offs to make someone realize universal health care would be really nice.... and while for much of the country it was too late to vote for Bernie, more people will be promoting the ideals he supported than ever

*Knock on wood*

Speaking of which, Andrew Yang promoted universal basic income. It seems as though that program (or something akin to it) will also enjoy greater popularity.