Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

It infuriates me that the media keep characterizing the doctor's measured, honest but diplomatic responses to questions as "crushing," "destroying," or other extreme verbs, Donald Trump and his positions. They want dramatic headlines to draw attention, but that's all that Trump reads and responds to. It's disingenuous, and it's undermining the only credible and competent helmsman the United States has in this crisis. 😠

13 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It infuriates me that the media keep characterizing the doctor's measured, honest but diplomatic responses to questions as "crushing," "destroying," or other extreme verbs, Donald Trump and his positions. They want dramatic headlines to draw attention, but that's all that Trump reads and responds to. It's disingenuous, and it's undermining the only credible and competent helmsman the United States has in this crisis. 😠

They want to humiliate Trump, whatever cost is worth it to them.  (especially if the harm is to someone else)

THis is also part of why Trump will probably win.  Whatever the majority feels about Trump, they might be more tired of that kind of pettiness, than they are of Trump's.

17 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

You can chalk this up partly to generic U.S.A. media sensationalism, but this sort of framing is also becoming acceptable thanks to Trump's Fisher King powers.

Dont care about anyone's feelings.  Just more interested in solving the current crisis, than attacking Trump's windmill, at the moment.   Apparently, the media doesn't seem to share that opinion.  That's all I meant with my original post, (and the one you quoted is merely acknowledgement of Ragitsu's comment of the media sensationalism, and Trump's being a nitwit)

Note: and if you are interested in whose windmills I will yell at when this is over:  The Chinese govt, Trump, and the media's panic fomenting, in that order. 

19 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party." :rolleyes:  Sanders didn't fall into line as soon as some Democrats wanted him to, particularly the party kingmakers. Seeing as how those same kingmakers aligned in opposition to his nomination, they should be grateful he came around at all.

But this time Biden seems to have outpaced Bernie fair and square. And they sound like they have much less antipathy, and more willingness to cooperate, than Sanders did with Clinton.

According to a story my local paper took off the wire, Sanders genuinely likes Biden, which is why he didn't really go after Biden very hard in the debates. The reason? Back when they were both in the Senate, Biden was nice to him.

This is worth remembering if you're anguished about Biden not being progressive enough, or outraged that he once worked with conservative bigots instead of pointing a finger and thundering, "Evil!" Joe Biden seems to like everyone, and it seems to have left him with no real enemies. Right now, this may be important in uniting the Democratic party and coaxing independents to join in making Trump a one-term president.

Dean Shomshak

On 4/12/2020 at 8:27 PM, Lord Liaden said:

George Carlin used to be one of my favorite comedians. His earlier social commentary was seasoned with wry humor and clever whimsy; but as he got older he became increasingly bitter and nasty. I'm not saying he didn't have cause, and ripping fools and reprobates a new one is a valid activity; but IMO it doesn't belong on an entertainer's stage.

What I always remember now is his 1999 show "You Are All Diseased".  During a rant about how people have become too obsessed with being safe and have forgotten that danger is fun, he said that he was looking forward to terrorists attacking the US and would consider it exciting entertainment.

But that's off-topic.

28 minutes ago, Ragitsu said:

When are the "big government is The Devil" conservatives going to push back en masse against Trump's barely concealed authoritarian posturing?

Never, because Trump is on their side.

And besides, can you imagine how much worse this all would have been if Hillary Clinton had been the President?

Sure, let's defund the organization coordinating world-wide health strategies while we're in the middle of a pandemic.

I have no Trump-related vomit left to give. :(

But Trump's just spouting off to look tough to his base toward the "foreigners," and to deflect blame from his own blunders. He'll probably walk that back soon, once aides he trusts explain to him all the things he should have thought of before opening his pie-hole.