Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

On 4/28/2021 at 7:39 PM, archer said:

To give some credit to Erik Erikson, he used to be a conservative. (Honestly, I have no idea what he is now.)

If you went back to 2014 and described a Trumper, Erikson would have told you in no uncertain terms that the described person was not conservative.

So the most gracious reading of this is that Erikson is correctly pointing out that people like Tucker Carlson are Trumpers rather than conservatives.

24 minutes ago, TrickstaPriest said:

Pretty much a reiteration of why this whole counter-conversation about the pandemic is dooming the future of our country (pretty much a doomer mood today):

You might want to edit this post.  Perhaps you could refer to video without actually linking to it.

4 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The bar for Trump's intelligence is set at the regulation height for the Bassett Hound Hurdles race.

Tucker Carlson stopped being a conservative a long time ago.  I don't think I can say what I think he is now, without risking the Wrath of Simon....

Tucker’s just catching up to the audience he helped create. 

12 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

You might want to edit this post.  Perhaps you could refer to video without actually linking to it.

Thanks, I was confused until I went back to the beginning of the video.

It's actually a lot of phone calls discussing some of the scandals of Britain right now, particularly with how they are going in and out of lockdowns so much

We probably spend too much time on Rudy Giuliani but he gave a really bizarre interview on Tucker Carlson's show about the FBI raid in which he claimed the search was illegal and unconstitutional because:

“the only way you can get a search warrant is if you can show that there is some evidence that the person is going to destroy the evidence. Or is going to run away with the evidence. Well, I’ve had it for two years and I haven’t destroyed it.”

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/rudy-giuliani-gives-bizarro-interview-about-raid-on-his-home-they-also-got-it-from-the-icloud/

(Rudy Giuliani is a former US Attorney in the Southern District of New York)

Well, hey, that legal theory is on par with the assertions he was making in the election lawsuits, so this really isn't anything new.

But admittedly, one has to question how anyone this moronic ever passed the bar exam, if nothing else.

I think it's from hanging around Trump.  I mean, judging from those who were around him, it's clear that proximity to him drains INT.

Better video on why I think the counter-conversation is destroying this country, not on the pandemic

There's some NSFW language, but nothing terribly bad besides swears.

Also forgot to post it as a link only.  Despite the 'catch', it's almost entirely just conversation, and you can really see into the mindset of what Christian conservatives are talking about right now.

Video

(yes, the images are censored)

17 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Well, hey, that legal theory is on par with the assertions he was making in the election lawsuits, so this really isn't anything new.

But admittedly, one has to question how anyone this moronic ever passed the bar exam, if nothing else.

I think it's from hanging around Trump.  I mean, judging from those who were around him, it's clear that proximity to him drains INT.

I don't think Giuliani's actually that stupid and ignorant of law. After all, he *did* once pass the bar exam. He's just following the Trumpian path of saying whatever would put him in the right as the aggrieved victim of people in the wrong -- no matter how stupid it is to people who know anything about the subject.

So maybe, Mental Transform imposing a Psych Complication, Total Commitment, "Liar with No common Sense Filter."

(I would not be surprised if his antics get him disbarred, but I also syuspect he wouldn't care. Just more persecution as a bloody shirt to wave before the base.)

Dean Shomshak

Story on CNN about it, when the NYC bar association added their support to an inquiry.  Disbarments in New York go through, apparently, a very, very slow, drawn-out process.  The comment was, this is also protection against spurious cases...but that can be viewed both ways.  And this is a very public case, so Giuliani's rep has already been hammered.

Gaetz and Greene are planning a combined America First fundraising tour.  I'd be scared to attend, on the off-chance that Boebert would show up.  Put the 3 of em together at a fundraiser, and they might reach Critical Stupidity Mass, and create a Stupidity Singularity.

6 hours ago, Old Man said:

This story did not make me happy at all.

Its focus was print media.  
Local broadcast media is in a variation:  local ownership is almost non-existent.  Not as sure about TV stations, but radio for sure is dominated by a few massive conglomerates.  The more that happens, the less local coverage...and certainly, the less reliable the coverage generally.

Part of the NFL draft thread was pointing out how the Denver Post's staff went *ballistic* over not signing Justin Fields.  That got me to checking, cuz...I remember the Post as a very good paper.  (OK, I moved away from Colorado over 30 years ago, but still.)  And I remember there were 2 thriving papers...the Post and the News.  The News folded in 2009.  The Post got bought up and ended with...yes indeed...the Alden group.  Which proceeded to gut it.

But print is dying...for *reasons*.  Blaming FB and Google is simplistic.  And it won't bring back print media;  they're cumbersome, expensive, energy-intensive, and simply *awkward*.  Sure, maybe there are changes needed...but the core trends are not going to change.

The last year has only accelerated the consolidation process.

Let's make it a rail gun.  From one of the Lagrange points, aimed straight at the sun.  Anything less risks his toxicity being spread.  I mean, you never know;  we might want a moon colony at some point.

I wonder if Carlson might be prosecutable under, say, German law, where hate speech is not protected.  Not sure what the formal criteria are for it to qualify.  

And as pointed out in the Coronavirus thread...it's now considered unlikely the US can reach herd immunity because too many people won't get vaccinated.  Carlson's not the only factor but he's been such a central component of this movement that he's a non-trivial contributor.