Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

10 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Pity one of our other mottos, "Live and let live," has fallen by the wayside.

I remember reading that Benjamin Franklin's suggested national motto was "Mind Your Business". I could go for that as well.

I have some thoughts about "E pluribus unum", but I'll wait until the muscle relaxers have worn off a bit before proceeding.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

I remember reading that Benjamin Franklin's suggested national motto was "Mind Your Business". I could go for that as well.

I have some thoughts about "E pluribus unum", but I'll wait until the muscle relaxers have worn off a bit before proceeding.

"Mind Your Business" sounds good, but I can see people using that the same way as "Don't Tread On Me."

12 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Talking about it doesn't change anything though. They're still in power doing absolutely nothing positive.

But understanding them means anticipating them, and anticipating your opponent is a tactical advantage.

Plus, for the rest of us without power, it helps keep us from beating our heads against the wall in frustration.

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

No, but it isn't even surprising.

The <BLEEP>ing dimwit claims the election was stolen.  The vote was almost 3-1 against him.

But, how about this for a statement of what Republicans will accept.  From Newsweek:

Pena has spent time in prison, after being previously convicted of felonies that include burglary, larceny, receiving stolen property and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, according to The Santa Fe New Mexican. In a December 3 tweet, he wrote that he had spent nine years and three days in jail, adding: "I spent the time studying."

Which, one might reasonably state, contributed to the enormous margin.  But how in Hades does the Republican Party nominate someone with a criminal record THIS serious?  Every time I think the Republicans can't surprise me any more, there's something that does.  

I followed the link to the original article. The Republican leader of the New Mexico State House  condemns Pena, which shows he is not a complete lunatic. (Unlike Pena, who is clearly quite mad.) But considering how early in the campaign the Democratic incumbet pointed out Pena's criminal history (and tried to get him disqualified on those grounds -- a judge then ruled the applicable law was unconstitutional), I would have thought the Republicans could have found someone, *anyone,* to run against Pena in the primary. Or maybe they did; I don't know how New Mexico handles these things.

Failed Republican candidate arrested in shootings targeting Democratic politicians' homes - Albuquerque Journal (abqjournal.com)

I suppose it is possible that Pena was literally the only person who tried running as an R in that district, and the parties cannot actually forbid people from claiming affiliation when they run. But Pena is a gift for New Mexico Dems that tghey should be able to exploit for at least one more election cycle.

Dean Shomshak

3uo1bnd0enca1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

The unelected new premier of Alberta, Danielle Smith's most recent turn of the wheel consisted of promising to pardon everyone who had been convicted of violating Covid restrictions, followed by announcing that she was calling up the prosecutors "regularly" about the cases, but "preserving their independence", explaining that she actually called the Minister and Deputy Minister of Justice rather than the prosecutors themselves, and finally claiming that "many people don't know" that the premier isn't an American governor and has no authority whatsoever to pardon anyone, something that the Minister of Justice apparently explained to her.  

FhtAmoHacAk66IO?format=jpg&name=small