Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

2 hours ago, BNakagawa said:

A lot of Pence quotes about the importance of handling classified documents and thorough investigation following the discovery of such documents in Biden's possession are going to come back to haunt him.

It's only fair that the DOJ appoint a special counsel for him, too.

Where's Oprah when you need her?

"You get a special counsel! You get a special counsel! You get a special counsel!"

7 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The Abrams delivery is probably a token gesture to satisfy Germany. The Abrams is not only more complicated than what the Ukrainians are used to, requiring additional training; they also use jet fuel rather than diesel, which is harder to supply.

Russia has many tanks in the field, but they're dated and inferior to the Leopard tanks. The Leopards are also lighter, which is an advantage when crossing muddy ground.

I have as much faith in Russia's anti-tank weaponry, as in everything else Russia has put in the field.

Just to nitpick, the Abrams can run on just about any hydrocarbon--the Australians run theirs on diesel--but the Army uses Jet A to simplify logistics with aircraft.

That said, I've also heard that the Abrams was designed for professional soldiers while the Leopard was designed for fresh-out-of-high-school kids doing their mandatory service.  And Poland, which is right there, has all the necessary facilities to maintain a fleet of Leopards.

Abrams fuel versatility had never been brought up in any source I'd seen since the current issue was raised, so thanks for that nitpick, Ancient Dude.

Of all the NATO states, Poland seems to have been champing at the bit the hardest to get into the fight in Ukraine. The Poles have a great deal of experience with Russian expansionist aggression. I'm sure they have much sympathy for the Ukrainians, but keeping Ukraine as a buffer would be in their security interest. They probably wouldn't mind some proxy payback, too.

From what I read about teacher morale and classroom issues...I can see where an overworked administrator maybe didn't want to take action.  That's not exonerating the administrator, it's asking *why* they didn't, and whether this was strictly personal, or in some measure a reflection of institutional problems.

I actually sort of understand the administrators' point of view--the odds of a first grader even having a gun, let alone using it, surely seem minuscule, whereas the odds of a sh*tshow resulting from a search and patdown of a 6-year-old probably exceed 100%.  Unfortunately the risk analysis seems not to have properly weighted the potential outcomes.

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I have as much faith in Russia's anti-tank weaponry, as in everything else Russia has put in the field.

Including Russian rhetoric. As usual, the Kremlin is screaming wild threats; the latest, that Germany is now a target for retribution. Yesterday on the BBC, the German defense minister drily said that his government was not cowed by harsh language.

Dean Shomshak

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

I actually sort of understand the administrators' point of view--the odds of a first grader even having a gun, let alone using it, surely seem minuscule, whereas the odds of a sh*tshow resulting from a search and patdown of a 6-year-old probably exceed 100%.  Unfortunately the risk analysis seems not to have properly weighted the potential outcomes.

Leader:  "What is the risk that your artificial sun can catastrophically fail?"
Scientist:  "Oh, millions to one against!"  <recites a litany of failsafes>
L:  "What happens if it does?"
S:  "Oh...umm...the entire station explodes....."
L:  "Keep checking."
S:  "Right...."

But by the same token, how far do you take paranoia?  We live in a day and age where people cry Wolf! all the time...inaccurately for the most part.  We're desensitized to violence by the amount of violence, while we're polarized by the concerns that We Have To Do It To Them Before They Do It To Us, and we're burned out by being at a societal equivalent of DefCon 1 for 2 years.  (And before that, DefCon 2 has probably been the norm for 15 years in schools.)

23 hours ago, unclevlad said:

From what I read about teacher morale and classroom issues...I can see where an overworked administrator maybe didn't want to take action.  That's not exonerating the administrator, it's asking *why* they didn't, and whether this was strictly personal, or in some measure a reflection of institutional problems.

22 hours ago, Old Man said:

I'm inclined to suspect institutional issues.  If you believe there to be an immediate threat to students and faculty, why would you pass the buck to administration and wait to see what they want to do about it?

Fear of lawsuits and media frenzies aside, I also wonder if none of the adults in the equation felt comfortable with the idea of potentially having to deal with a loaded firearm if they did search the kid.

If they did search the kid it would martyr him with the 2nd amendment groups.  He would be on Fox News the next day, then giving speeches at Proud Boy rallies for the next six months, and his lectures would protested on college campuses for the 6 months after that.

/s

5 former Memphis police officers have been charged with murder in the death of Tyre Nichols.

The DA's office has said they will release body cam video some time after 6 PM local time Friday.  If you wish to watch it, I'm sure you can find it...

BUT...

BE WARNED.

The comments I've seen...THE VIDEO WILL BE SHOCKING.  I found this quote from one of the attorneys retained by Nichols' family:

“He was defenseless the entire time. He was a human piñata for those police officers. It was an unadulterated, unabashed, nonstop beating of this young boy for three minutes. That is what we saw in that video,” Romanucci said. “Not only was it violent, it was savage.”

CNN has this timeline of the investigation, which included the above

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/us/tyre-nichols-timeline-investigation/index.html

On 1/24/2023 at 3:43 PM, Lord Liaden said:

OTOH, cheap man-portable antitank weapons are available in quantity, and it's already known that Russia will buys stuff from Iran, etc.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

All the military experts I've heard have asserted that these tanks, if used correctly, will make a big difference to a counteroffensive by Ukraine. The Ukrainians asked for the tanks, and they've fought this war smartly so far, so I'm pretty confident they know how to use them correctly.

I'd say they certainly know how to use them better than the Russians do, but that's damnation by faint praise...