Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

13 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Wyoming passes a bill to ban the sale of abortion medication.

This, on its own, runs afoul of federal law which has been through the courts.  The FDA allows it;  that permission supercedes the states' authority.  It may also become somewhat moot, as Wyoming is expected to pass a bill banning abortion.  If that's the case, well, that blocks the sale of abortion meds.

A disturbing part of this is there's also a case in Texas, where the goal is to force the FDA to withdraw their approval of the first (of two) drugs used for medication-based abortions.  If the judge signs the order...I can't see the grounds why, but hey, there's likely a reason why they filed in Texas...well, this'll be fast tracked to the Supreme Court.  I actually expect even this Court to overturn the order;  it opens the floodgates to second-guessing the entire medical approval process, and that's a nightmare.  It also smacks of judicial overstepping into executive-branch functions.  

IIRC from what I've heard on various NPR programs, the plaintiffs indeed shopped for a judge they knew would be sympathetic, which Texas law apparently makes especially easy.

A rational SCOTUS, operating on the long-standing principles to avoid trespass on executive function and to avoid opening huge cans of worms, would overturn this order in a heartbeat, probably with sharp comments about judicial overreach. But I suspect this SCOTUS majority starts with the specific results it wants, invents rationalizations to fit, and doesn't give a rat's ass about consequences or wider implications. That flood of second-guessing might even be considered a bonus, as part of dismantling the regulatory state.

Dean Shomshak

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

To quote X-Flies... "I Want To Believe" 😕

Well, the article says Trump *hasn't* been indicted yet; merely that he claims he expects to be arrested.

Despite no evidence that Manhattan prosecutors have given any official notice to him or his lawyers, Trump declared in a post on his social media platform that he expected to be taken into custody on Tuesday. The message seemed designed to preempt a formal announcement from prosecutors and to galvanize outrage from his base of supporters in advance of widely anticipated charges. Within hours, he sent a fundraising email to supporters while influential Republicans in Congress issued statements in his defense.

All wrapped up with another appeal for money from his base, natch. So at this point, it might be just another grift, with an attempt to bully the Manhattan DA into backing off.

Dean Shomshak

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

If Trump's cultists want to cause violence, the State has to be prepared to meet it. The State loses all credibility if it can be so easily intimidated.

Whenever violence is used as an attempted tool of political change, the State should be prepared to meet it with all necessary force to ensure the rule of law. The exceptions to this, where no recourse is available through legal and political mechanisms, are not the case in this nation. Trump can have his day in court. His followers can seek redress for their concerns at the ballot box. Whether they are likely to be successful in that effort is beside the point, they have lawful options. The January 6th insurrection was unacceptably meek in terms of governmental response (intentionally so, given apparent refusals to deploy the National Guard and other information that has since come to light).

I have no sympathy for rioters, of any ilk. The followers of Donald Trump who espouse this are particularly odious because of other elements of their dogma, and in any case should be greeted with the full legal force of the government in the event they respond in an illegitimate manner.

There are, in fact, many resources to manage such an incident. It just depends on the will to take action, and willingness to live with the consequences of that decision. Hopefully, elected leadership is up to the task they signed up for. 

11 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Whenever violence is used as an attempted tool of political change, the State should be prepared to meet it with all necessary force to ensure the rule of law. The exceptions to this, where no recourse is available through legal and political mechanisms, are not the case in this nation.

If no recourse is available through legal or political means, it is likely the state has no rule of law in the first place. The forms, maybe, but not the substance. Just words to provide a veneer of legitimacy to the whims of those in power. The state also likely uses violence freely against people who try to hold it to account based on what laws exist.

Case study I remember from the Russian History class I took back in college. The professor said the USSR had an excellent constitution, in some ways more democratic than that of the US. Except for a line that the government was subservient to the Communist Party. Since the Party did not need to obey the constitution, but the government had to obey the Party, the Soviet constitution was just words. Which meant all the laws depending on it were just words, to follow when it suited those in power (or to be used against their enemies), to be ignored when they became inconvenient.

In this thread, we have several times commented on the vagueness of the culture-war laws passed in Republican-controlled states. How it can be hard for people to tell if they're breaking the law or not. I suspect this is not from carelessness on the part of legislators.

Dean Shomshak

Dean Shomshak

Newly released interviews show that Uvalde first responders were specifically too frightened by shooter's AR to engage, and instead chose to let 9-year-olds do the dying.

Several victims lost large portions of their heads, photos taken by investigators show. Bullets tore gashes in flesh as long as a foot. They shattered a child’s shin, nearly severed another’s arm at the elbow, ripped open another’s neck, blasted a hole the size of a baseball in another’s hip.

I bet that guy's neighbors loved him.

Yeah, I'm assuming the gender here, but I think it's a safe bet a guy came up with that.

----- Separating post on totally different subject that shouldn't have been merged --------------------

5 hours ago, Old Man said:

Newly released interviews show that Uvalde first responders were specifically too frightened by shooter's AR to engage, and instead chose to let 9-year-olds do the dying.

According to the article, they were "outgunned":

Video footage recorded inside Robb Elementary School in Uvalde at 12:04 p.m. on May 24. Authorities stormed the classroom at 12:50 p.m.

Seems like the odds are in their favor TBH.

What was the excuse once they retrieved the rifles and the shields?

Just more excuses for cowardice.

2 hours ago, Cygnia said:

From ABC NY:

As the NYPD prepared for potential unrest, the department and other NYC agencies received numerous bomb threats in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday morning -- and not just at the courthouses. All were determined to be unfounded.

This is not going to be a pleasant time for the NY civil authorities, or anyone who lives/works in that part of the city.